Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #1

Does anyone know of a location in the Houston TX area for weighting Motorhomes? Having trouble finding a place that can weight each wheel seperately and then front and rear axles. Thanks for any info. Steve. Happy camping to "You-All"

I changed the topic to include where
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #2

Does anyone know of a location in the Houston TX area for weighting Motorhomes? Having trouble finding a place that can weight each wheel seperately and then front and rear axles. Thanks for any info. Steve. Happy camping to "You-All"

I changed the topic to include where
Old 06-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never found any place that could do individual wheel weights. You can get axle weights at the Flying J, on I-45 North, near Airtex exit I believe, maybe Richey.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #4

There are CAT scales at Loves - 290 @ 2920 which is on the Northwest side of the Houston area and at Flying J - 59 @ 242 which is the Northeast side of the Houston area.

If you are coming in from I-10 east, I believe there is still a CAT scale on the north side of I-10 just west of the San Jacinto River bridge but I can't remember the exit.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:49 PM   #5

Thanks guys for the scale locations! I'll head there Monday. Happy camping to "You-All"
Old 06-08-2005, 03:48 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
If you have never used a scale before ---- as you enter the scale (most truck stops, not all) there is a phone handset -- you can call the fuel desk and tell them what you want, etc. They will be of help to you. Some truck stops use one of the CB freq. to do the same thing. Or you can pull in, park somewhere, go to the fuel desk and get info there. Also drive onto the scales in the proper direction: it is one-way.

I don't know of any that weight each wheel --- DOT does, but don't know if they would do an RV or not. Large trucks use scales to insure each axle weight is under the axle rating - plus gross weight checked as well.

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:25 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
There is a public truck scale on Almeda-Genoa Road just off Telephone Road between Hobhy Airport and south Beltway 8. It is a few hundred feet east of Telephone from the southeast corner of where Almeda-Genoa hits Telephone from the east. (Almeda-Genoa hits Telephone from the west about 3 blocks to the south.) Anyway, this place is open 24/7 and is run by a mom and pop outfit. We went there on a Sunday afternoon and there were no commercial trucks there. We took almost 25 weighings over almost an hour on the scale for $20. No tickets, my wife just sat in the scale room with the owner and wrote down weights when I told her by walkie talkie to write down a number. Their scale is situated so that you can weigh one axle or wheel by just putting that part on the scale. You can drive both directions and their parking lot is large enough to sumply make a U-turn. Don't trust any light weights such as tongue weight of a TT because anything less than a couple of thousand pounds is not very accurate on a scale that goes over 100,000 pounds. For what its worth. By the way, that's where Holiday World on I-45 weighs their rigs. That's how I found it.

2004 Arctic Fox 29V TT Hensley/ Prodigy
Dutch 'n Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #8

Appreciate the additional info on public scale locations and how to use them. Sounds like I have no reason to get weighted next week. Happy camping to "You-All"