Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #1

Weird generator issue

My onan 4000 was running fine under way, but as soon as I turned off the coach engine it died and would not restart. I have no idea what the problem could be. It acts as if it's not getting fuel, if I hold the prime for a few seconds it will fire, but only for a second and dead again. I have 8 people on board and we are boon docking for the night. It's hot but we will be on shore power tomorrow. I'm mechanical and can fix it, just need advice on where to start looking.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
slow96z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
is the tank above 1/4? Always the first thing I check, generator fuel pick up tube stops at about a quarter tank to keep the generator from running the coach dry.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #3

I'm sorry for not specifying that. Yes, I have a little more than half a tank.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #4

You also have an oil level switch, make sure it's filled to the correct level. Just a thought. Jim
Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #5

The oil on the dipstick is between full and add, I can see the oil in the fill tube. Should I bypass the oil switch and try again?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #6

That would be a good place to start.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Any chance it's running hot? If you get it running a bit, make sure there is a good air flow coming out the cooling air exaust. These things can pick up debris, but mice nests are the major problem.

Gennys needs a 12vdc sourse for the control system. So when you said it died when you shut the engine off, this leads me to think you may have a low voltage problem in the coach. Probably just a coincidence, but trying with engine off, then again after it running 5 mins or so will tell a lot.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #8

I was looking at it while my friend was pumping gas and when the tank was full gas started spraying from under the gen. The fuel line had a split where it connected. Cut out bad line and it fired right up! Now I have to readjust back for altitude since I messed with that, but we are on the road with a/c!

Thanks for the help all!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #9

How old is your RV?. There have been lots of comments about generators running bad and the problem is resolved by replacing the entire fuel line from the main tank. if you had a split in one place, it's likely there is another one waiting to occur...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow96z View Post
I was looking at it while my friend was pumping gas and when the tank was full gas started spraying from under the gen. The fuel line had a split where it connected. Cut out bad line and it fired right up! Now I have to readjust back for altitude since I messed with that, but we are on the road with a/c!

Thanks for the help all!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator