Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Weldex Backup Camera Cured?

I think I have finally 'cured' my Weldex backup camera and monitor.

After a year of tinkering with the monitor I finally gave up and replaced it. The RV shop said that the camera control portion of the main board of the monitor had several cracked solder joints and a new monitor would fix it.

I had them order a Weldex LCD monitor and decided to install it myself. The install was simple and it worked perfectly. For about 20 miles.

I then took a look at all the connections starting at the monitor and working towards the camera. Merely touching the connector to the cable cause the monitor to go blank. Bingo!

I tried several things but the one that worked the best was to insert some very fine copper wire into each sleeve of the female side of the connector. This fix lasted about 100 miles before I got the dreaded blank screen.

Next I did the same thing to the camera end of the cable and it's been perfect ever since. We're heading out on a several hundred mile trip soon and I am optimistically hopeful that this irritating glitch is finally 'cured'.

The good part is that I didn't have to replace the cable!

If you try this be sure to cut the wires shorter than the depth of the sleeve and don't turn that part of the connector over until you connect the male end or they will fall out.

Good luck!
muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wonder with today's technology, if there is a good wireless camera system that could be used on a motorhome if you got unlucky and had a bad cable? Pulling a new coax from front to rear of many coaches would be a real chore.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cable

That explains my hope that tightening up the connectors will be a permanent fix.

There's probably a number of wireless systems that work fairly well. My brother-in-law I stalled one on his fifth wheel and seems to be happy with it.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #4

Muddypaws,
Glad you got it "temporarily" fixed. I say that because, based on your explanation of events and cures, it sounds like it might happen again, due to the nature of the condition of the cable connectors, correct? Well in doing some research on our Sony System, I found out a couple of things. One, ours had some corrosion, inside the connector, about foot or so from the rear camera. There is no real efficient way of cleaning those tiny pins inside those connectors. You can put some dilectric grease on them but, many electricians are not too keen on that 'cause it has some tendency to insulate the connections.

But, something else I found out is, you can actually replace those connectors. Sony uses a proprietary din plug, made just for them because you can't find the exact same plug anywhere. But, you can find "Din" plugs, in any number pin arrangement you want. All that's needed then is, to cut the old plugs off, solder on the wires to the new plug, slide or twist the new covers on and, you have a nice new, tight fitting plug. I don't know if you feel like tackling any thing like that but, it might be a more permanent cure for your cable issues.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Connectors

I found the connectors fairly easily. The guys at RVCams.com talked me out of soldering new connectors on. They said the new ones don't last because of moisture. I think some hot glue might solve that problem if it comes to that.

I really don't want to run a new cable, do I?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I found the connectors fairly easily. The guys at RVCams.com talked me out of soldering new connectors on. They said the new ones don't last because of moisture. I think some hot glue might solve that problem if it comes to that.

I really don't want to run a new cable, do I?
Well Sir,
I never did install new connectors on mine, I probably should, based on the condition of them. In the pictures below, you'll see what they looked like when I found them at the time I was having the problem. While I get a good, clear picture now, I still get some "Black out" every now and then. But, I can usually "Bang" on the dash and that has en effect on the picture and many times, it clears right up. So, the connections in the back, while not good by any means, don't seem to be effecting the picture, not that I can tell anyways.

As for running a new cable. It wouldn't be all that hard. For the most part, you most likely would not be able to do a run in the ceiling like it was from the factory, a run along the frame, secured at multiple points, will work just fine. I've know guys who've done it and they've had no issues by doing it that way.
Scott

Old 09-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Monitor Location

My monitor is above the driver but there's no way to run the cable through the ceiling so I would have to go down the A pillar and use the frame.

You need some contact cleaner! Those are seriously corroded connections. Much worse than mine were.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Not a Weldex but here is my story about our Sony camera. Hope some of the info may help. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/for-e...ra-146305.html

FIRE UP I feel your pain on the Sony connectors. We went through the same thing. Sony has a habit of making proprietary stuff that is not compatible with anything else. $450 for a replacement rear camera made me nervous thinking if that one went out after the warranty and needed another we would be out enough to replace the whole thing with a new system.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

300 mile trip. The camera zonked out several times. When we stopped for lunch I moved the connector near the monitor and it hasn't happened again. Yet.

Before we go on out next trip I'm going to try something else. I'm not sure what yet but I don't give up easily.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
300 mile trip. The camera zonked out several times. When we stopped for lunch I moved the connector near the monitor and it hasn't happened again. Yet.

Before we go on out next trip I'm going to try something else. I'm not sure what yet but I don't give up easily.
Muddypaws,
Yep, feel your pain. Been there done that, quite a few times. We'll be traveling along for miles and miles with a clear view on that monitor. Then, it decides to start acting up. Well, like stated, I can "sometimes" bang on the dash with my fingers and it will either clear it up or make more lines through it or, nothing. It's a hit or miss thing. Yes Sir, I'd sure like to clear it up for good. I'm not sure spending $300-$600 bucks is the cure, just yet. Until mine goes out completely, I'll continue to bang on my dash.
Scott

P.S. I've had the dash top off and had the camera and monitor on while moving some of the wires and cables that lead to the back of the monitor and, sometimes it makes a difference in the picture, sometimes not. I hate when things are effected like that. If it would continually make the picture either clear up or get worse, by moving the cables back there, at least it would give me indications of where the problem might be.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #11

It sounds like the contacts are touching each other. If they're bare metal I suggest you cover them with electric tape or check the local auto parts stores. Some carry molded rubber covers for connections.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New cable in my future

I can see that the handwriting is on the wall and it says 'replace the cable Grasshopper'. I might.

The connectors are twist-loc and pretty much air tight. I have isolated the problem to the rear end of the connector. Probably a broken solder or crimp joint. I found that if I bend the wire going into the connector I can make it work every time so I used a tie-wrap to secure it in a position that works. That at least will get us home.

My new monitor came with an adapter cable that I can can canabalize for the 4 pin connector and solder it onto the cable. I was warned not to do this by the guys at RVCams but I've ignored plenty of good advice in the past. a little (or a lot) hot glue should seal it well enough that it won't corrode.

The saga continues.........
Old 09-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
My new monitor came with an adapter cable that I can can canabalize for the 4 pin connector and solder it onto the cable. I was warned not to do this by the guys at RVCams but I've ignored plenty of good advice in the past.
The saga continues.........
Our cable is spliced on both ends and it works fine. Replacement for Sony cam from RVCams $449, the one spliced on the end from ecBuys.com - Global Online Shopping For Security Cameras, Car Video Monitor, SPY Cameras With Worldwide Free Shipping $38.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera