Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #15

Dennis is correct.

The differential is measured between return air and fresh air (cold air) - That is; air being sucked in to the air-conditioner from inside the RV and the coldest air coming out of the plenum.

20 degrees is "working fine" 16-18 degrees is "it could do better" and anything less is broken. Some systems can do more, mine does 22.5 degrees on high, turning down the fan speed will send out frosty air but too little of it.

So start it early - crank the temperature down, dont shut it off and you'll be as cool as possible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I plan to camp in Kingman AZ tonight. On the road by 6am from Kingman and I should miss the 100 degree temps!
It's all downhill to Needles from there!

KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great. Thanks Dynstrom! I see you are from or in Kingman.. Nothing beats local advise!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #18

Down hill unless you go thru Oatman. Lol
Old 12-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #19

Oatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Down hill unless you go thru Oatman. Lol
Yeah the heat doesn't bother the donkeys though..(at least they don't act like it)
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #20

They show up for their carrots. Lol

Russell
Old 12-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard much "Discussion" as to the effect on overal MPG of running the generator to use Roof Air v/s Dash Air.. I feel the generator is going to use more fuel than turning off the dash air will save,,,, but that was not the O/P's question.

The O/P's question was can I use roof air (Via the Generator) and the answer is YES!!!!!!!!!

Many do that, go back to my opening paragraph and understand many disagree with me. (My position on that is to each his own, if they want to disagree, I do not have a problem with that) but these folks clearly prove the O/P's answer is YES, by all means do it.

I do it when it is hot enough Dash air alone is not nearly enough, House air does a blast furnace poor job of cooling the cockpit area so I run everything I got when it gets too hot. Dash and both roof.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
Dennis is correct.

The differential is measured between return air and fresh air (cold air) - That is; air being sucked in to the air-conditioner from inside the RV and the coldest air coming out of the plenum.

20 degrees is "working fine" 16-18 degrees is "it could do better" and anything less is broken. Some systems can do more, mine does 22.5 degrees on high, turning down the fan speed will send out frosty air but too little of it.

So start it early - crank the temperature down, dont shut it off and you'll be as cool as possible.
^^
True statements. If the outside air is super hot(read not moving) or the sun is beating down on your unit, it will reduce the efficiency of your unit and raise the head pressure, which can/will reduce that 20 degree number. Then when you drive, air flows much better, ac works better. Same principal happens in your car. Stop at a red light, ac gets a little warmer. Start driving, cools down and freeze you out.
soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have heard much "Discussion" as to the effect on overal MPG of running the generator to use Roof Air v/s Dash Air.. I feel the generator is going to use more fuel than turning off the dash air will save,,,, but that was not the O/P's question.

The O/P's question was can I use roof air (Via the Generator) and the answer is YES!!!!!!!!!

Many do that, go back to my opening paragraph and understand many disagree with me. (My position on that is to each his own, if they want to disagree, I do not have a problem with that) but these folks clearly prove the O/P's answer is YES, by all means do it.

I do it when it is hot enough Dash air alone is not nearly enough, House air does a blast furnace poor job of cooling the cockpit area so I run everything I got when it gets too hot. Dash and both roof.
Me too!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #24

Wow! So the A/C units on our rigs can only cool down the heat by 20 degrees? Doesn't seem like much too me. Newer units don't cool any better than the old units? Guess we have too run from the heat... 😄
Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Wow! So the A/C units on our rigs can only cool down the heat by 20 degrees? Doesn't seem like much too me. Newer units don't cool any better than the old units? Guess we have too run from the heat... 😄
Yep, the delta is 20. 100 weather expect 80+ inside. Some will do better and others worse depending on the rigs insulation and sun exposure. Our rig is well insulated and has dual pane windows so we do just fine running one 13.5 BTU heat pump in 95 weather in Yuma.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, the delta is 20. 100 weather expect 80+ inside. Some will do better and others worse depending on the rigs insulation and sun exposure. Our rig is well insulated and has dual pane windows so we do just fine running one 13.5 BTU heat pump in 95 weather in Yuma.
Not exactly, you are working with inside temperatures. So once the 100 is down to 80 then the 80 is cooled down to 60 but somewhere along that either the thermostat will shut the A/C off or you will hit the point where the heat load will match the cooling power of the A/C and it will not get ant cooler.
Like others have said, start the cooling before it gets hot inside. As for waiting for nighttime, yes it will help because of the loss of the suns heat load but depending on where you are at in the desert area it may still be well over 100 most of the night.

Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote