Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Came back from VN and had what was then a huge chunk of money...$10k. Invested most and have been doing that ever since.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife and I started planning for retirement the day we got married - I was 20 and she was 19. We realized that dream when I was 58 and she was 57 - we both got laid off from our jobs in 2008 and we've been living off our savings ever since. I start collecting SS in about 3 months, and we've got an annuity that started paying us $1000 a month a few months ago, and we've got a comfortable Rollover IRA waiting for us.

As for RVing - we've been owners since 1978. We've owned a micro-mini, a cab-over camper, a trailer, 4 fifth wheels, and now a Bounder. The Bounder is our only major monthly bill since we paid off our house almost 10 years ago.

If you don't start planning for retirement early in life you'll have a hard time making up for the time you've lost...

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Started planning for retirement when I was 35. When I was 49 I turned the planning and saving into high gear. Retired at 59 and all the planning and saving has turned out just right. Have enjoyed retirement for 9 years and looking forward to many more.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
My wife and I started planning for retirement the day we got married - I was 20 and she was 19. We realized that dream when I was 58 and she was 57 - we both got laid off from our jobs in 2008 and we've been living off our savings ever since. I start collecting SS in about 3 months, and we've got an annuity that started paying us $1000 a month a few months ago, and we've got a comfortable Rollover IRA waiting for us.

As for RVing - we've been owners since 1978. We've owned a micro-mini, a cab-over camper, a trailer, 4 fifth wheels, and now a Bounder. The Bounder is our only major monthly bill since we paid off our house almost 10 years ago.

If you don't start planning for retirement early in life you'll have a hard time making up for the time you've lost...
I sure wish I had known you when I was 20. We started saving at about 40 and we still find it hard to do many of the things we would like.

Make your kids watch Suzi Ormand.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #19

We started planning on going fulltime/retired about five years ago. Last November we made it happen at age 58.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Semi Retire in 2 weeks at age 57, will start fulltiming, but will most likely work a few months of the year.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Semi-retired at 54 and RVing 6 months of the year. I was a single mom for over 10 years and can make a budget cry for mercy LOL. Hubby (2nd) and I both agreed that we wanted to travel during our cold Alberta winters, so have been doing so since 2003, traveling via car and airplane every 3 months or so. Finally bought a good used RV last May, spent the summer getting it ready and then left home in October. We are still on the road and won't be home until May. Hubby collects old age pension since he is now 65, and we have not yet touched our RRSP's. I work via internet out of the RV wherever we might happen to be, so that brings in the extra money we need. We do everything we want when we travel. This year we traveled through Arizona, New Mexico and Louisiana. We spent Christmas in New Orleans. The biggest thing that made this possible was being completely debt free before we started out, having a great budget, and not being materialistic. "Stuff" does not interest either of us nearly as much as "experiences". We might not have all the latest and greatest gadgets for our RV, and it might not be as big and shiny as a lot of the ones we see, but it is perfectly sized for us, has everything we need and it gets us where we want to go with minimal cost and problems. So far we have put about twenty thousand miles on it this winter alone

Make your plans early, have no debt, and then just leap into the deep end and enjoy your life on the road.

Tara, Pete and Bogey (Cavalier King Charles)
1995 Thor Manor 30' fully equipped to boondock
Old 03-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkng88 View Post
My retirement is November first wish I had planned sooner but everything is paid off bought a RV lot in Florida Did well in 401 K and saved everything I could. My company also had a very good retirement even though it did change quite a bit. Planned retirement sort of but still very nervous with retirement. Maybe someone else can put me at ease. One question I have is when you retire early does anyone have the answer for health insurance.
I planned to retire at age 61, in 2009 my company decided 59 was better. We were nervous, very nervous. Thankfully, we started saving for retirement with our first jobs and although our retirement savings took a hit like most everyone else's, we ran our spreadsheet with the new variables and decided we'd be fine as long as we didn't do anything stupid. Then we bought a new motorhome! HA. We're still fine and having a ball. Nerves have calmed quite a bit. It will take time living without that paycheck to be at ease. The unknown and somewhat uncertain is a scary place. We've been there, only the experience will help put you at ease. Health insurance is just expensive, ours is with my companies retirement plan and it's still 4x's what we paid while I was working. Hopefully Medicare will still be viable and affordable when we turn 65. Not holding our breath.
ChileRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 1968 I took a lower paying job than the one I had, went from over $600 a month to $406 a month, knowing that in 30 years (1998) I could retire with a reasonable retirement. At 51 that's exactly what I did and I haven't looked back although I did go back to work till my wife can retire.
But plans get changed. Her daughter died about 4 years ago and we took her two boys in. The oldest turns 21 tomorrow and moved out a year or more ago. The youngest is 13 and still in school. No real reason to retire till he's 18 or so.
Also, luckily none of my previous three wives went after my retirement or SS and my present wife has been socking money away for over 30 years. Just bought an annuity that will pay over $15,000 a year for life without touching the principal. Now we need to figure out who is going to inherit the annuity when we go!
Between my pension and SS, my wife's pension (already getting it), SS and the annuity we'll be just fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I started planning for my RV Camping lifestyle when I was Cub Scout and later a Boy Scout as I absolutely love the outdoors and being a gypsy. Once my kids were old enough to enjoy camping I bought a Pop-Up Tent trailer for our camping adventure. Went up and down the East coast a number of times with the Pop-Up. Much later after my kids had both moved to Alaska, I rented a couple of Class C's while visiting them in Alaska. I knew then that a 40 foot Class A diesel was in my cross-hairs.

Regarding retirement, my first goal was to retire at 40. That came and went. Next was to retire at 50, that came and went also, then 55 but by that time I was having too much fun working in the film industry in Hollywood and loved the job. So after taking an early retirement from Kodak after working 31 years, and then again from Technicolor with 10 years (with a buy-out package), and then again after working 5 years for UCLA in Hollywood also being entitled to another full retirement, I finally fully RETIRED at age 64 after working 46 years in the film industry. The job at UCLA had come to an early end due to budget cuts back in 2009 so my VERY last day of work was January 30, 2009. I really wanted to stay until I was 66 but it really was a Blessing in disguise.

By retiring back then, I was able to get my coach fully prepared for road travel by May of 2010 and I have driven well over 30,000 miles since then. I have gone across the country twice, up to Alaska and back twice spending summers up there with my kids and grandchildren.

I have seen so many places all over this country and my bucket list is STILL overflowing. There are so many wonderful places to go see and things to do that, God willing, I would like to continue for another 10 years or more.

Still need to find that great place to settle down for a few months out of the year while spending the balance of the year on the road. I will find it eventually.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #25

I was in a very stressful job at Boeing and was only in the very early stages of planning for retirement. One Friday lunchtime, I stopped by an automatic blood pressure machine in the cafeteria. BP came out at 225/150.

It was a 3-day weekend immediately following, and on Monday afternoon, our home BP machine showed 135/70. Workplace strees? - you betcha.

I immediately started looking for a less stressful job within the company, but nobody would take me seriously. I was in one of those "cachet" jobs, with lots of overseas travel. What nobody outside of my immediate circle could understand, those "neat trips" were to places like Jeddah, Riyadh, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Bahrain, Brunei, Very occasionally, I got to go to Switzerland or Waco, TX.

In the year I finally decided to take early retirement (at 57), I was out of country for a total of 29 weeks, and none of the trips were longer than 10 days. I had over 600,000 frequent flier miles in my company account.

The most ridiculous trip I got was Seattle to Osaka, then on to Brunei, where I had meetings with the Sultan's Flight and Royal Brunei Airlines. From Brunei, I went to Riyadh, via Hong Kong and Bangkok for meetings with one of the Saudi Princes' VIP flight, then Riyadh, via Jeddah to London and back to Seattle.

Even though we had no retirement plans in place, other than a coporate 401K, I figured I'd die in harness if I kept that up. We pulled the plug (DW had already quit work for medical reasons), sold our house in Everett and moved to Anacortes. What a relief. No more pressure -the biggest decision was "what's for dinner".

After a while, I got restless and did a 2-year stint as a bus driver for our local transit agency. It was a 5-day/week agency when I started and only had one early-start shift. Towards the end, they'd gone to 7 days a week and started some inter-city commuter expresses starting around 04:30. Exit stage left!

I'm coming up on 72 and we're enjoying a slightly impecunious retirement, but in what we consider to be one of the best small towns on the planet. My sister, who's still a UK resident, says "Anacortes is where God goes on vacation".

We can't use the RV as much as we'd like to, but we'll keep it another couple of seasons before we give it up.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I sure hope you will be able to do that! We had a business that we ran for 36 years and waited until were were over 70 before retiring in 2010. Now it seems that health issues have prevented us from enjoying our retirement the way we had hoped. If I had it to do over I would retire at 65!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Started planning when I was about 35, unfortunately it was a lot of years later before I really did a lot about it.
Agreed. I wish I had stopped thinking and started doing. Mainly changing my lifestyle to accomadte the RV lifestyle. We went from a 2500 sq ft house to a 28ft MH. It was pretty rough at first. Also I wish we had a better idea of the expenses before we went for it. I would say start saving, preparing, buying the neccessities now. Dont wait.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I sure hope you will be able to do that! We had a business that we ran for 36 years and waited until were were over 70 before retiring in 2010. Now it seems that health issues have prevented us from enjoying our retirement the way we had hoped. If I had it to do over I would retire at 65!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
We live in an "active adult community". Most everyone here is retired. We are only 62, but those of our friends and neighbors that are in their mid seventies or more have given us that same advice.

ChileRick is online now   Reply With Quote