Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've mentioned this before- the best air chuck you can buy is this one. It couldn't be easier to operate.

You can set your output regulator to about 3 psi more than you want in your tires, place the chuck on the valve stem, tilt it ever so slightly (that "locks" it on) and go eat a muffin (you should be doing this early in the morning anyway). Come back in a few minutes, tilt the chuck slightly to remove it. Check the pressure and remove a pound or two, if necessary.

No kneeling down and holding a chuck on the valve stem for minutes on end.

This chuck is not available in any of the auto parts supply stores I visited when I was looking several years ago.

Good luck,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
As for checking the tire pressures, I use the monitor that came with my TST 510. I have "T" Valve stem extensions so I can fill while the sensor is still inplace. Works great.
OK...what are "T" valve stem extensions? With my air through sensors I get that annoying over pressure alarm while I am putting in air. Well, it ain't THAT bad but I found it mildly irritating. LOL

Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Hate to start a thread that seems to have been covered before but I didn't get much info from reading them.
I have a class a gasser with 19.5 inch Michelins. I do NOT have an on board air supply. I want to start carrying
an air compressor for which the sole purpose is to maintain tire pressure..What do you all suggest?
I see he has already purchased his compressor, but he was only looking for one to maintain the tire pressure.

I have used this one How To Find Interdynamics HD300 12V/300 PSI Truck Air Compressor
for years to maintain my tire pressure.

For anyone looking for a small, compact, and does the job, this one has done me well. I got mine from Camping World when they were a little cheaper

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #32

To answer the question "What air compressor should I carry for my Tires?", I don't think they care!

Ed
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
OK...what are "T" valve stem extensions? With my air through sensors I get that annoying over pressure alarm while I am putting in air. Well, it ain't THAT bad but I found it mildly irritating. LOL
It's a valve extension that looks like a "T". The shaft of the T is threaded on the tire valve. One of the other ends has my NON FLOW THROUGH sensor(TST 510), the other end I use for filling. If you have Flow Through sensors you would not require this. It does not stop the over pressure alarm while filling. It does make filling tire with NON flow through sensors a heck of a lot more conveniant to fill because you don't have to keep removing the sensor to fill the tire, and you can use the TPMS monitor as your guage.
I got them from Truck System Technologies. ~8 bucks a piece.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Hate to start a thread that seems to have been covered before but I didn't get much info from reading them.
I have a class a gasser with 19.5 inch Michelins. I do NOT have an on board air supply. I want to start carrying
an air compressor for which the sole purpose is to maintain tire pressure..What do you all suggest?
You are not missing anything by not having an on-board air compressor. I do and don't use it because for my size tires, 22.5 inch, you have to have the diesel engine running AND the air compressor running too. It is so much simpler to have a portable plugged and run the generator if needed.

As far as what to buy, make sure it will actually pump up your tires at the pressure you need without having to wait all day for it to achieve that psi. STAY away from any 12 VDC air compressors. They will NOT do the job.

I stated with a Husky 125 psi but it wouldn't handle the 110 psi needed. So I went to a Husky 155 psi and that does the job but at the higher psi you still need the compressor RUNNING, not at idle. I simply hit the air valve to release some air to make the compressor start up and away you go.

By the way, if you do a search on this topic, there are many threads regarding the same subject.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
As far as what to buy, make sure it will actually pump up your tires at the pressure you need without having to wait all day for it to achieve that psi. STAY away from any 12 VDC air compressors. They will NOT do the job.

By the way, if you do a search on this topic, there are many threads regarding the same subject.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
X2!
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/10...ws/reviews.htm
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
I would think the OP has to make that assumption. Like in an aircraft, there is an aspect to systems management where you know that certain systems are not interconnected and likely to affect each other. The need to top off a tire is not normally tied to being out of reach of power to air them up. Anyone can build a worst case scenario but the reality is that the chances of running out of power and needing to top of a tire are not highly likely.

So, unless the OP wants to invest in either (or both) a gas powered compressor or external power generator they will have to live with the slight chance they could have both a flat and have no power to fix it. Personally, I don't like the idea of carrying fuel in a bay or upgrading to a diesel just to ensure I can top off a tire.
Not sure I can handle common sense.....
Old 07-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #38
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK..I've used this small sears compressor a few times now and it gets the job done. Takes a couple minutes to bring my class a RV tire pressure up 10 pounds.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...00100600&aff=Y
Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is older, but appears to be the same compressor, It is a 150PSI (Actually hits 160) and can blow up a 22.5 to 115 PSI with out tribble (Sorry fan of David Gerrold on Facebook).

Same compressor also hammers the lug nuts off and on when needed (Of course it has a bit of help from an inpact wrench)

It also jacks up the motor home (Thanks to my 12 ton Bottle jack-jack from Harbor freight, this is an Air/hydraulic jack)

It also blows the dust out of my computer and Replay TV units

And a bunch of other jobs (paint and stain spraying for example).

Very useful device,, I did get a new air hose though.