Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #15

Autoformers do not steal power...they consume it.

They are nothing new but in short just a ferro-resonant transformer that operates in saturation mode to regulate the output voltage.

This prevents sags and surges from getting through to a limit of the design so some mov devices on fused side of input give great protection.

But they will increase the consumtion of power to keep it saturated so in a metered site you will pay more to have it in place.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #16

TQ60
If I somehow conveyed that an autoformer was something new, I did not intend to do so.
Steal was a term I chose (since that was what was related to me) to convey the opinion that somehow using an autoformer would take up extra electricity and leave others downline from us drawing the short straw. We were at the end of that 30 amp line or branch, so no one would 'suffer' from our use of an autoformer. If you are claiming the use of a Hughes autoformer actually does use more electricity, could you estimate how much? The autoformer only turns itself on during those times when the voltage drops to a preset, and turns back off (on standby) and would not be using much more juice than to power the tiny yellow light which turns to red when the autoformer is operating. Perhaps my understanding is all wrong and you could explain in layman's term just how it works as well as how it does or does not use additional electricity. Thanks
Old 06-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
I had some discussions with a pleasant lady at Hughes who advised there were often problems with Hughes Autoformers being sold on Ebay. They did not work and Hughes won't fix them unless you are the original owner.
I sent a message to Hughes about the subject and here's their response:

* What is the warranty on your units, and are they repairable if needed?

All our units come with a 2 year warranty from the date of purchase.

* If I buy an auto-former from a store that's not an authorized dealer of yours, will the unit be under warranty anyway?

Yes. if you would like it repaired, send it to Hughes Autoformers, 5558 E. La Palma Ave. Anaheim, CA 92807
Please add as much information that you can as far as why it's not working.

* If I buy a used unit, can I get you to repair it if needed?

We will inspect the unit, to see if it is repairable, and if it is we will let you know cost of the repairs plus shipping cost.

thanks,

Alex Moreno, Sales Manager
Old 06-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #18

bamaboy
As often seems the case, I did not make myself very clear. Hughes was being asked to fix non-working autoformers purchased cheap on Ebay for free under their warranty. I assume there must have been a number of them as the lady who answered the phone at Hughes felt I should be warned. I did not mean to suggest that Hughes would not fix their products. Sorry to confuse things, and thanks for pointing that out.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #19

A few years back, we were in a campground in upstate Pennsylvania just a stop on our way to Niagara Falls. The next morning, everyone in our row of campsites had lost one or more of their major appliances from TVs to Microwaves, except us. I was using a cheap 30 amp progressive SSP-30, about $80, and had no damage
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1Q. joule ratings vary (from 1250 to 4200, from what I've seen). Is there some point where it becomes overkill?

1A More Jouls are better, I suspect there is a point of dimishing returns but I do not know what it is.

2Q. would it be better protection to have two of the 1250 protectors instead of one 2500 rating?

2A: I do not think so no. (and this is my field)

3Q. Besides portability, is there any advantage to the portable ones?

3A: Ease of replacement if it fails. but basically.. NO.

4Q. The cheap ones seen to tell us that things are OK or not, but you still get power. The more expensive ones seem to turn everything off if they sense a problem. Is this right? Does anybody with one of them wish they had the other?

4A: Well,, I suspect there are some who have the cheaper 3 (or 4 or 5) Led models who WISH they had invested in the LCD models,, But I have never met one.. And for sure never the other way. I have both.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My suggestion is don't overthink this. Just get the progressive EMS and you are good to go.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Lesson learned at the local KOA campground with our first ever trip for our coach. Plugged into 50 amp shore power. AC units ran for 2 minutes then stopped, couldn't get them to come back on. Took the coach to rv shop and luckily they found no problems and the ac units are working fine.

I just purchased this EMS-HW50C Electrical Management System - Hardwire 50A w Digital Remote Display and will install myself. This is more than just a surge protector...it monitors and will shed loads. Purchased this from Tweetys rv store.

Don't plug in shore power without some kind of protection !!

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote