Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What Brand to Buy?

currently an owner of a 04 bounder on workhorse chassis. have owned for 10 years and have been really satisfied with it. but if it wasn't for my mechanical abilities and resources i would probably not be saying that. just seems there isn't something over the years that i haven't either re-done, re-paired, re-placed or modified. from endless hot water to sway bars to interior mods seems like i'm always doing something. my question for everyone out there is i want to move up to a dp this time. my 2 girls are wantin to bring friends along and i really like the bunkhouse models although there arent to many of them. any ideas out there on what models would be the best? dont want to end up gettin rid of one rv that doesnt give me any trouble in trade for one that does. thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 32ft bounder with a gas engine and thought wouldn't it be nice to upgrade to a diesel puller, so bought a Bounder 39Z. The point being this unit has been nothing but one mechanical problem after another. This is my 5th motor home and after almost 43 years of RVing you have to accept that they are always going to have some little thing to fix or adjust or replace!

Old 07-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks coventryhale thats kinda what i might be thinkin but did want to get some opinions. Did like the floor plan on the palazzo but was then looking
On one of the other forums and they were really destroying that make. Just dont want to end up in one of those situations where everyone says "what the heck were you thinking when you bought that rig???"
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #4

I've had nothing but problems with my 07 bounder This is the third MH. And I wish I would of got another W again That was the first one. Sorry if your thinking of a fleetwood I think I bought a lemon :(
Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #5

We have a new DP on order to replace our gasser. When deciding on what brand to buy, I spent a lot of time looking over the various owners forums, on this site and on other forums to read about some of the different brands and what kind of issues were happening in them. Once we narrowed down to a couple of brands ( that had DP in the length we wanted, under 38 feet ) and the price range we were in, we found a floor plan that works for us and took the plunge. I think every brand can have its share of issues and it doesn't really seem to matter if it is new or used. For us the deciding factor was what we feel will be ease of getting potential issues resolved.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #6

It's really a crap shoot, isn't it? I would stay away from any coach that's considered an entry level RV. RV's with a strong ownership satisfaction rating would be where i would start. The difficulty with that is a lot of owners don't want to admit they bought a less than desirable unit. Start with brands like Newmar, Tiffin, Monaco, Winnebago, etc. Next time your out camping walk over and talk with an owner of a coach you might be interested in. Don't take as gospel everything you hear, but take in the info to add to your education. Do a lot of research, but in the end it's still a crap shoot. I've talked with owners over the years of high end coach's who have only had problems from the start, and others who have a lower rated one and are very happy with what they have. It can be frustrating, but hang in there. Who knows the right one might just be around the corner.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
kind of what i thought. and ramets your right i talk to everyone whos nice enough to give me some time at a campground about their rigs. just lovr rving hopefully when this farming life comes to an end some fulltiming will be in my future, only God knows but it would be nice! well i guess i will just keep being a sponge and enjoy the one i got for know(which i do!) thanks everyone!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #8

I agree with the 'Crap shoot" thought. I had a budget $XXX, found 2 rigs, rig one was at the budget and rig 2 was 1/2 budget. I went with 1/2 budget as I figured repairs would be in order for both. With 1/2 I can replace a whatever without worrying about the mounting costs. Lets see Rear Toilet,Water heater, Tires, Belts, Rear A/C, Transfer switch,EMS, ummm.....what else...... I'm nowhere near the $XXX limit. With your experience in repairs, you can get quite a unit(drivetrain) with a few required repairs. As long as you know it needs repair it's not that painful. Best of luck!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its funny how the word "crap shoot" keeps coming up the main problem is having 2 kids that love to go out on the rig as much as i do and wanting to bring friends there aren't very many dp's that have a floor plan i like. Ideally bunk beds with a drop down bed in the front. Try to see hiw many of those there are. Very short list. Seems all the manufacturers want to make are the same cookie cutter rigs with the same couches, dinette, kitchen blah, blah, blah.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #10

The girls will grow up fast. Consider skipping the bunkhouse, and instead buy a high end used DP from a quality builder. Such as Monoco, Country Coach, Newmar, Travel Supreme, or Holiday Rambler just to name a few.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Since the industry went through hard times most of the entry level rigs are plagued with problems. Newmar has a good reputation and Winnebago/Itasca has so really nice floor plans but the quality control has suffered.

I believe in buying used. If the unit seems to look good and has a good and valid maintenance it is probably as good as you will get. I saw "crap shoot" mentioned earlier. Much truth to this statement.

For what it is worth, we love our 40U. It is not free of problems but it is the nicest coach we have owned. This is #3 and I hope the last.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem for me jericorick isn't whether or not to buy new or used. The problem is the limited floor plans the manufacturers offer. I know the girls will grow up but that doesn't lesson my desire for an upscale dp with different bunk house options. I have friends with bunk house gassers that love them and even when the kids grew up they either kept going with them or they converted the space into nice storage cabinets. My kids God willing have 7+ yrs of rving with me by then i will either get another rig or convert the area for storage. The thoughts of spending all that money and not getting anything different than i already have, that is making a bed in the middle of the living room/kitchen area and then having to put it up and out of the way every morning. Bunks just get out slide a curtain, cab over bed get out leave it alone. Just not many options. Would love to see a monaco, hr, etc with options for me!!!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #13

I still look after we just bought. I speak to people at the RV parks and such. I love our FW and agree you must be handy. Most of the big complainers are those without tools, or the knowledge of how to use them.

The funny thing is I get so many different views from other RVers. One in a Tiffin will bad mouth the brand the just un loaded while another will say just the opposite. From my research the top MFG's Tiffin, Winnebago, Fleetwood, Newmar not in any order are the one's to look at until you get to the real high end. The others I left off the list will go un named so not to offend anyone I wouldn't even consider.

This forum will give you a good indicator to the bad MFGs and the better ones. None are perfect but there are some to stay far away from. People say you get what you pay for, but with RV's that isn't always the case
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agreed usinvestment. I could not imagine owning any rv brand without having knowledge to not only work on them but to build things or instal things to improve them. The list of repairs and mods i have done to mine would take pages to list. I too will probably end up with one of those mfg's you listed but i sure don't see one right now new or used that has anything near the floor plan i am
looking. Well i guess thats part of the fun is the window shopping. Maybe i'll just have to find a nice bus somewhere and build my own!