RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #29

I am more than happy with my 2008 model year Winnebago which was a high end coach at the time

We looked at a much newer lower end ones and the older one was nicer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Less technology that has to be learned and not the optimal placement of the TV. There may be some issues but nothing that different from a newer unit. Our deciding question was do I want to trade my car or my house for an RV. Spending 200k was out of the question but spending 40k was not a big deal.

https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #31

Multiple slides is a plus
aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aden View Post
Multiple slides is a plus
My 2004 has 4 slides
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:25 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Ivylog, by chance do you know the build date of your coach, the economy did not really start tanking in a visible way until mid to late 2008, just before the 2009 RV models started showing up. So 2008 model year coaches can be a bit of a toss up depending on the build date and brand.
Built late 07 with a 06 engine. Monaco bought a bunch of extra 06 engines which were cheaper than the 07 with DPF.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #34

We were in a similar position. Bought our 2011 in the fall of 2018. So we bought about 7 years old. Ours had 9800 miles on it with 39 hours on the genny. One owner, but kept outdoors. Still in really good shape. Paid about 50% of what the original owner likely paid after negotiations.

I've now gotten to know it pretty well over the winter and believe we did the right thing for us. There are some minor compromises, but very small in comparison to how much higher the price goes to get them.

We retire in 8-10 years. I believe we will enjoy this coach now (do 2 month trips each summer) and use it for our retirement (not full time, but most time) and all said will have it until it is 25'ish years old. We keep our things maintained, and it is under carport now. This might be stretching it, but there's only one way to find out.

As others have mentioned, I am replacing little things as I go, before they fail. $20 here $100 there. Spending a thousand a year on "things" is far cheaper than huge payments!
tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #35
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
As others have mentioned, I am replacing little things as I go, before they fail. $20 here $100 there. Spending a thousand a year on "things" is far cheaper than huge payments!
Exactly.. two summers ago, I put about 2 grand in it. about 1500 was to do a new paint job. Last summer, I spent about 1 grand, about 1/2 of this was to fix broken exhaust studs. This year I'll probably spend less than 500, brake pads, a couple engine/chassis sensors, and little things.

My Southwind is 20 years old, Its in excellent mechanical shape, its paid for, insurance is low. I can envision we'll own this for the next 5 - 10 years.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Exactly.. two summers ago, I put about 2 grand in it. about 1500 was to do a new paint job. Last summer, I spent about 1 grand, about 1/2 of this was to fix broken exhaust studs. This year I'll probably spend less than 500, brake pads, a couple engine/chassis sensors, and little things.

My Southwind is 20 years old, Its in excellent mechanical shape, its paid for, insurance is low. I can envision we'll own this for the next 5 - 10 years.

Those older Southwinds are awesome. Our had a Banks exhaust system installed and got about 8.5 mpg whether it was on hills or flat with or without toad. We replaced the carpet with Vynal plank flooring.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
We went about 9 years old (12 now). I wanted diesel but ended with the top of line gasser for our manufacturer. It can fit in most campgrounds but certainly isn't capable of the back country camping we’re used to but it was time for a change. It also fits into our RV parking spot which wouldn’t fit the tag axle diesel I wanted. For the amount you want to use it for the next few years a gasser would do you fine. Going older let’s you get a top of line with the features that go with it (cameras, air bags, auto leveling, satellite, etc., etc.) for cents on the dollar they were asking for them when new. Now, if I had come across a 36’ Alpine, well .... then ��
Old 04-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought a 2005 Navigator last year and am very pleased.

Things I didn't get that are in a new coach: Electronic systems that have issues, cheap sawdust cabinets, uninviting bland interiors.

Things I got: Warm "home" feeling interior with solid wood cabinets, a 515hp Detroit Diesel motor without def, a $650k coach for $150k.

I have replaced all the TV's and stereo stuff and fixed minor issues. For the $9000 worth of repairs i did, I have 3 times the coach I could afford new.

Click here for my info on Navigators
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:48 PM   #39

You are going to issues with new or older

Just more work and projects the older they are

Read the forums and take note

Just get what you like and in your budget
Old 04-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #40

A) With an older rig, you avoid warranty issues.

B) With an older rig, you inherit all the nifty fixes by owners working in a pole-barn.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #41

Buying a 10 to 20 year old coach and plannng to retire and use it more n 7 to 10 years doesnít look like a good plan to me. The coach will be 20 to 30 years old and a lot of maintenance will be needed.
I would just rent a motor home in the short limited usage you describe. Saving insurance and maintenance costs for 7 to 10 years.
Then when you want to go back n longer trips and retire. Buy as new as you can afford. Las of things change in 10 years.
Good Luck
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #42

Buying an older MH

We bought our first MH - A Fleetwood Jamboree - last November. It was built in 1994, and is very solidly made, with a steel and particle board construction (and fiberglass exterior). We did a lot of research before buying. This one looks a little sad on the outside, but the inside is in great shape. We don't care that the decals are faded - all the electro-mechanical systems are in good shape, and the E350 had just 40,000 miles on the clock.

I would say first learn how everything works - maybe just rent a MH for a week, and see how you get on with it. Knowing how the gas and electrical systems work, and what to expect from battery life etc - that all prepares you for shopping. If, like me, you are more than willing to do most of the work yourself, then an older MH is not just a good investment - it turns into a great hobby, as you upgrade it the way you want it.

There's also less of a worry about resale value, (god forbid) the odd dent or scrape, and trying out upgrades you might think twice about if you have an expensive rig.

The final thing was car insurance. Because we only spent a few thousand on the MH, we opted for third-party only liability insurance - which is $56 a YEAR! And AAA RV coverage, so if it DOES breakdown in the middle of nowhere, we have a way to recover.

We don't regret buying an old unit - we love it. But YMMV.

abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote