Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #1

Hey Folks,
We moved up from a pop up to a class A. What are some items you consider essential while on the road with your RV's? Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #2

Hey Folks,
We moved up from a pop up to a class A. What are some items you consider essential while on the road with your RV's? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Michael,
The list would be very long to post here. For me, I consider the coach the same as the stick house. No matter the topic or task, I have one for the house and one for the coach. Consider thinking of the tasks (meal prep, clothing, sleeping, entertaining, etc.). Whatever you have for the house, get the same thing for the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow! That was quite a step. Welcome to the Class A forum. We really don't travel with more now than we did when we had our pup. Its just that now everything has a home and not in a container, ie, food, dishes and pots and pans. Clothes are hung in the closet and not in a suitcase.
Have fun!
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats on the move to a class A. You will feel so much more comfortable. We moved from a 5'er to the class A 4 months ago, and on our first trip we took too much. I was going by the rule that " I might need that". Use common sense when packing, and make sure you read your manual well to see the recommended mechanical parts that should be carried, for the "just in case events". So far the thing that I have used the most is the remote, so take extra batteries. Seriously, good luck with the coach, and keep a list of the items you carry, as I know that as you compile it, the answers of what to carry will come to you. Again, Congrats.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #6

Mpost

For the outside, I carry the following:
*Hatchet *pole saw/clipper * two 4x4s cut to put under tires to stop roll * 4 10x10s to put under jacks * folding shovel * engine oil *oil for the jacks *25 ft 12ga ext wire *stay in MH tools *spare fuel filters *fuses that fit elec boxs *distilled water for batts *fishing poles. Most important get a Progressive Electrical surge protector. s/Toby
Old 10-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">some items you consider essential while on the road </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whether you are fulltime or parttime would influence the list, also the capabilities of your rig. For instance, we don't need tire chocks or wood blocks that Toby put on his list. Absolutely essential for us would be: some clothing , medicatons for people and pets, portable grill, my tool bucket, 7' collapsing step ladder (folds into apx 3" x 3" x 7'), engine oil & similar routine maintenance items, distilled water, spare filters, sewer hose extension, electrical adapters, my computer, (the DW needs a good supply of books to read), cell phones, CoachNet ERS, Debit & Credit Cards, and (agreeing w/Toby), our SurgeGuard is hard wired into the MH.

And LOTS of other "really want to have along" stuff along with the "we have it along but could live without it" stuff...
Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #8

Duct tape.

Our beautiful little dog Bear
jjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #9

Paul

While we have never had to use the chocks, I thought It would be a good idea, in case we ever had to stop on the side of a hill. The shovel came about because in our 99 Vacationer, we were turning around in a federal park in Colorado and the front tire went over a hidden rock and stopped the back tires from being able to get over it. I dug for about 30 min with my hands to get the "bolder" up until a nice man came with a shovel. Never travel without one. As far as the pole saw goes, Whenever we get to came again, we like to camp in state/federal/corp parks. They hardly ever cut the limbs and hate to ding the MH when a simple snip can get rid of the limbs. Our Surge guard has saved us several times due to lightning in the area and low voltage, as well as reverse polority in a Tenn state park.

We also carry out laptop computer with the MS Streets/Trips. I'm lost without it. The DW forgets to write "L" and "R" on her hands sometimes and her directions w/o the computer has put us on dead end roads, no turn arounds and etc several times.
s/Toby
Old 10-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I do carry a small folding "GI camp shovel" just in case, but have never used it (and hope I never have to!!).

I carry a pole saw (that would be in the "really want to have it along" category), and have used it many times. I have even used it a few times to clip a branch or two in a commercial RV park that hasn't kept their trees adequately trimmed (I'm good at spotting offending branches in dayling, and operating it after dark ).

We wouldn't be without our SurgeGuard, but it didn't totally protect us last winter when lightning hit the RV park we are in. SurgeGuard was severely damaged (replaced at no charge by mfg), but also had transfer switch, inverter & power cord damage along with some minor stuff inside.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:11 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
[QUOTE]some items you consider essential while on the road </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Debit & Credit Cards, (probably the most important item to carry) IMHO,

Dieselclacker
Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #12

Thanks to all for the great advice. I have most of the items mentioned but need a few more. I know there is nothing like experience which is nice to have heard from all of yours. Thanks again!