Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I level first unless I decide not to level first then I put the slides out first unless I decide to level first unless the slides are alredy out because I put the slides out first.

This is my routine and I stick to it unless I do not.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
A lot of air does come in an open window as the slide moves out, but it is not going to create any substantial vacuum inside if you don't have a window open. You could only wish that your RV was that airtight! There is enough room around the slide itself as it moves (you can see daylight) to avoid blowing out anything or stressing the motor.
Re-read my manual last night, was surprised to see it said to open a window when moving the slides. Hmmm,
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #45

The marketing people told the tech writers that the seals on the slides were air-tight. Plus the tech writer gets paid by the word.

If you park near a camp fire and keep all doors, slides, vents and windows closed and if the smoke is blowing your direction, do you smell the smoke?

Those round tubes on the roof that are actually plumbing vents; Where do you think they go? Inside the coach. How about the vent above the stove? Won't air escape thru it? Come on people; think for yourself. MHs are not air tight.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'd have to agree. MH's aren't airtight as they would have you believe. Too many air vents from the dash, furnace, stove hood, etc to relieve the pressure when the slides move.

Plus, when they DO move it's slow, so the negative room pressure doesn't get built up right away. It just equalizes slowly as air gets drawn in from the vents previously mentioned.

I don't have a slide. But I'll have the beer first though.

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #47

Hah! When I had my TH, it was beer first, then unload. `Course, if you're talking the walk to the fridge, you got me beat. Well did...

Old 09-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #48

We were instructed to open windows before retracting the full wall slide. No one is saying a motor home is air tight.

We were told it is recommended due to the fact the full wall slide is very large and thus a lot of air is being pushed or displaced as it moves in. If no windows are open the slide can actually resist somewhat. Therefore, they recommnend to open windows and then retract.

"Two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time."
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #49

I'm just going by the speed or lack of speed that my slides operate.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #50

Back to the OP...

I don't care what ANY manual says this time, common sense must prevail.
Jacks down, then slides.

You wouldn't build a house on an uneven foundation. Why would you do it now?

For me, it's worked fine for the last two years.

Steve
Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
Back to the OP...

Jacks down, then slides.
Steve
Slides out, then jacks down.

Actually, I don't think it makes a nickel's worth of difference. IMO, the problem is when you level manually. Jacks are connected between the chassis and ground, therefore you can twist the the frame if you are not careful. With auto leveling this will not happen. Air bag leveling is the best system because the bags are connected between the frame and chassis. If you manually level with jacks, you can raise one wheel off the ground and possibly twist the chassis and frame.

One other point, if you auto level then put the slides out it might change the level, but it doesn't matter because the system will re-level automatically.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
I don't care what ANY manual says this time, common sense must prevail. Slides out, then jacks down.

Actually, I don't think it makes a nickel's worth of difference. IMO, the problem is when you level manually. Jacks are connected between the chassis and ground, therefore you can twist the the frame if you are not careful. Jim E
If you have a frame that is so susceptible to twist, I think it is time to buy another place to stay.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Wink

I'm always amazed at how smart the group here is. I mean really, there doesn't seem to be any questioned that can't be answered. Then comes the leveling type question, the best we can hope to achieve on this topic is to agree to disagree. Kind of like Ford vs. Chevy.

I have finally figured it out, I have 4 slides on my coach. From now on i will open 2 then level, quickly followed by opening the last 2. But only after opening all vents, windows and doors. My only question is should it 2 on the same side or 2 on the same end??? Just when I thought I had it down to a science.

Same logic could be applied to coachs with 2 slides, not sure how you guys with 3 slides will do it. You may have to learn to live with one slide left in or out 50% of the way out.

Obviously posted in jest.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ummmmm.......
You might also want to take two steps back and......punt.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaint View Post
JimM68

I like the way you camp!! I do the same with a vodka-tonic!!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
It appears the only way to resolve this question is to rewire our coaches so that leveling and slides occur simultaneously.
Anyone wanna rewire mine to remove the interlocks?

Jacks need key on to move... annoying. If the engine is running, can't dump the air (it pumps right back up) and sometimes the jacks go into emergency retract for no reason.

Slides on the other hand, do not move if the key is on, kinda annoying. If I had my druthers, I'd retract the kitchen slide last, just before sitting down and buckling up, coach gets kinda skinny with 3-4 people and a dog movin 'round trying to get ready to go. Can't though, cause I started the diesel 5 minutes before so the air can come up.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote