Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I open the lid on the potty - insert my head - stick my butt in the air and whistle Dixie.
Really, after many years of boating everywhere and in huge storms everywhere I learned a lot. my boat was bonded, and I installed a great bonding plate along with a lot of other items to protect my motor electronics and radar system. I also knew enough to find a large sailboat and stay within a 45 degree arc of their mast. Never got hit with lightening in all those 50 years on the water. I have a million storm stories but I'll save you from them here.

I use the same thought for the MH. I don't go to campgrounds but do stay stay a wally world overnight. If a storm is coming I park where no carts can hit me and park under a light pole. Under the "Faraday’s cage," theory, there is the same protective cone as the sail boat mast and I have had direct hits to a parking lot pole with no damage to me.

I Florida we have a lot of lightening and we again just whistle Dixie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a surge protector installed at the electric post. No need to disconnect I believe. 🚍🤠
Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
I have a surge protector installed at the electric post. No need to disconnect I believe. 🚍🤠
Don't bet on it. Lightening puts out a lot more joules that a surge protector can handle.

Even with the power cord disconnected from the pedestal and laying on the ground, a electromagnetic pulse (EMP) can be absorbed through it and destroy electronic and electrical components. Best to take in the power cord too
Old 09-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #32

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Unplug the RV from the pedestal after making a big of popcorn and opening a bottle of wine. Go outside and sit, facing the oncoming storm, with your SO and marvel at the display and remind each other why your there. Enjoying each other's company and natures display.

The reality of it is, yes, lightning is dangerous, buuuut, the statistics are that you'll win the Power Ball several times before you're struck by lightning..

Enjoy life, it's why you bought an RV.
I love that...except Momma said to never set yourself up as a target...I'm with you tho...I'd be there with you probably with an umbrella!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:43 AM   #33

What do you do in a severe lightning storm?

Here in Pahrump Nevada we have dangerous lightening all summer long. To make matters worse I have tall trees all around my RV site. Fortunately my Motorhome is equipped with the magnapak inverter which has it's own surge protection. The first thing I would do if a storm is bad enough. Shut your power down, unplug the shore power cord and stow it in its compartment. Crank your tv antenna into the travel position and then run on generator power until the storm passes. Stay indoors, keep tv's off and keep all doors, windows and skylights closed. Just wait it out and return to shore power once the coast is clear. If you know a storm is coming consider relocation to a temporary location not effect by adverse weather.

Note: always watch your local weather to see if "Severe Thunderstorm Warnings" or "Flash Flood Warnings" are issued by the nation weather service so you know when to take appropriate action.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #34

Jayco Owners Club
Always park next to a taller rig. It works on sailboats as well.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Here in Pahrump Nevada we have dangerous lightening all summer long. To make matters worse I have tall trees all around my RV site. Fortunately my Motorhome is equipped with the magnapak inverter which has it's own surge protection. The first thing I would do if a storm is bad enough. Shut your power down, unplug the shore power cord and stow it in its compartment. Crank your tv antenna into the travel position and then run on generator power until the storm passes. Stay indoors, keep tv's off and keep all doors, windows and skylights closed. Just wait it out and return to shore power once the coast is clear. If you know a storm is coming consider relocation to a temporary location not effect by adverse weather.

Note: always watch your local weather to see if "Severe Thunderstorm Warnings" or "Flash Flood Warnings" are issued by the nation weather service so you know when to take appropriate action.
Why turn off your TV?
Old 09-15-2017, 05:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I open the lid on the potty - insert my head - stick my butt in the air and whistle Dixie.

Have you considered installing a lightning rod? [emoji3]
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
creating a good-sized loop in your power cord as it lays on the ground between the pedestal and the coach - that allows that surface static charge to go to ground easier than following the wire to your rig.
That's one I wouldn't have thought of.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcannonball View Post
"the statistics are that you'll win the Power Ball several times before you're struck by lightning.."

I think that statistic is the other way around.
Your odds of being struck by lightning this year are roughly 1 in 1 million.
Winning a powerball lottery is roughly 1 in 300 million.

The woman that just won the biggest powerball ever to a single person should stay out of storms
Philswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"The kites! The kites! Get them ready!"
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Really dumb question. What type of surge protector do you use? Do you just use a regular one? Where do you plug it in?

I'm very handy with many things but anything electrical....I'm lost.

Thanks...
russue125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
The surge protector is applied/installed at the power post at your site in the campground, just before you attach your power cord. Some lock it in place from theft with a padlock after closing the cover.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #42

With us it was a partly cloudy day in northern NM. All was well then bang lightning hit, took out CB, ABS, Radio, Cruise Cont., and front TV. No warning or indications of a possible hit. Thought for a second that I had just meet my maker. Insurance said Sorry about that!, we see boondocking.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light