Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Being from Oklahoma, you watch,the TV radar as long as possible. By the time the power goes out, the hail and wind are to strong to go outside and store the cable.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #44

Also take the time after disconnecting, to put the shore power cable away too. A gent at the Elk's at Wall Lake, Minnesota had disconnected his power, but left it on the ground. A nearby strike sent a charge powerful enough into his not EMS protected trailer, to cause a few thousand dollars of damage...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #45

These folks got hit, took out stuff in the RV and the electronics in his new truck parked next to it.

Sadly Sean, the fellow in the vid was killed in a scooter accident a couple of weeks after this vid was posted.

Charles
Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #46

Ask Kelly to get her insurance policy out and take the flag down.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #47
Community Moderator

if i were in that situation, i would
- make the coach ready-to-move (i.e. everything is in)
- turn the tail toward the wind coming
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:41 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
Why turn off your TV?

Cause I've had the tv antenna hit by lightening before when the TV was on. Wasn't a very pleasant experience. 😱 fortunately for me there was no damage. But there's always a first time for everything.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Lightning can travel across miles of open air space, I don't think a piece of plastic or wood will insulate you from a strike.
BINGO!

It's a myth that it's your tires insulating you from the ground that protects you in a lightning strike. That kind of energy doesn't even know your tires are there. As quoted above, that charge just jumped hundreds or thousands of feet to the ground and air is a pretty good insulator. What protects you is your vehicle acts as a Faraday cage, giving the lightning a much easier path to the ground than going through you.

For now, I disconnect from the pedestal and unplug my computers. Be aware that most common surge protectors won't protect your stuff from a direct hit.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #50
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
BINGO!

It's a myth that it's your tires insulating you from the ground that protects you in a lightning strike. That kind of energy doesn't even know your tires are there. As quoted above, that charge just jumped hundreds or thousands of feet to the ground and air is a pretty good insulator. What protects you is your vehicle acts as a Faraday cage, giving the lightning a much easier path to the ground than going through you.

For now, I disconnect from the pedestal and unplug my computers. Be aware that most common surge protectors won't protect your stuff from a direct hit.

There are direct strikes which are kinda rare.....and then there are lots of instances where the strike happened nearby, and the ground was electrified. Many times strikes in a pasture kill many cows due to the charge traveling along the ground. It is this secondary charge which you can protect yourself from -- with insulators on your jacks, and other things -- such as disconnecting the power cord from the pedestal, and the water hose.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #51

Interesting point. There certainly could be quite a voltage differential between a pair of jacks in the case of the current traveling through the ground. Lifting the jack would remove the least resistance path through the coach's chassis. Certainly worth going feet-up until the lightning passes.

This last summer we experienced a lightning storm while camping and I debated which was worse - going outside in the rain and unplugging the power from the post and risking getting killed doing so, or staying in the coach and hoping the park's electrical system doesn't get energized by a strike and fry stuff in the coach. Of course the idea of my wallet getting fried by having to replace "stuff" won out over personal safety and I quickly ran out and unplugged. It was a very "man" thing to do.

Considering the possibility strike creating current through the ground, it might be wise to not only unplug, but to stow the cord instead of leaving lay, stretched out on the ground. Uhhh, that now make me wonder about the danger of taking the time to wind up the cord. Hummm....

In reality, what is most likely to happen is a power surge through the post caused by a strike somewhere on the grid line in the area - the kind that makes the lights flicker. Direct and indirect hits which energize the coach or the ground are pretty rare, so I'm thinking in the future I'll continue to unplug, and just for simple good measure raise my jacks. I usually have them on 1 inch plywood pads with 3/4 rubber stall matting on the bottom but why take a chance. Just gotta mind the refrigerator if I'm too far off level.

Never is a perfect answer is there? Good discussion though. Having a plan is always good.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 AM   #52

On an additional note - I've read that people swear by having one of these installed and one is on my to-do list: Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection
Old 10-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #53

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Class C requires 30 Amp service and we have the appropriate Surge Protector. For 15 years we have not had a problem, but on 2 occasions the RV's next to us got fried.
Locksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light