Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #1

My genset is set up so I have to unplug the shore power and plug in the generator to power the RV. All of my other rigs were independant of each other and this is kind of a pain. What does everyone else do? Is there a two legged dog bone or Y extension that I can leave in place? I was thinking of splicing a leg onto my shore power cord. Are there any concerens i am overlooking doing this? Thanks. Scotty.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #2

My genset is set up so I have to unplug the shore power and plug in the generator to power the RV. All of my other rigs were independant of each other and this is kind of a pain. What does everyone else do? Is there a two legged dog bone or Y extension that I can leave in place? I was thinking of splicing a leg onto my shore power cord. Are there any concerens i am overlooking doing this? Thanks. Scotty.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #3

The primary thing you are overlooking is that if you generator is on, powering the RV AND you are plugged into the shore power of the park (or your home) you are potentially sending 110VAC back into the shore power system. If the main power system shuts down for any reason, you are then supplying power to the "dead system" and anyone working to get it back up and running is at risk because your genset is supplying 110VAC.

To avoid this, you should equip your RV & genset with an automatic switch that disconnects the shore power line automatically when you start the genset. This would accomplish what you want to do, and protect others from AC shock.

CW has automatic switches (relays) in their on-line catalog.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You need a device called an "automatic transfer switch" to eliminate the plug/unplug nuisance. It will cost you around $200 or so, plus installation. Under no circumstances can both the genset and shore power be connected simultaneoulsy - it is too dangerous.

My motorhome is like yours - no automatic transfer. But the genset receptacle is in the same bay as the power cord, so I simply plug it into the genset when I disconnect from shore power, and vice versa. The only time I wish I had a transfer switch is when the campground has apower outage and I have to go outside to switch over.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #5

Mine functions the same way as yours does, it is a bit of a pain but prevents accidents because only 1 sytem is working at a time. I used to have that auto switch in my other motorhome and did not realize how convenient it was, but I've gotten used to this one.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I had an auto-transfer switch previously and thought I would be installing one right away when we bought this rig. And I complained loudly to NRV that their top-of-the-line gas model came without an automatic switch (they added one late in the model year - guess they had lots of complaints). But it turned out to be pretty much a non-problem and I'm still using the manual method after 3.5 years.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote