Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

What Else Should I Do

As many know from previous threads, I wasn't super dedicated to maintenance on my MH. Over the last few months (some a little further back) I've been playing catch-up. 2001 Vacationer 33 feet w 43,350 miles on the ODO. So far I've done this:

Newer Tires
Brake Calipers, Pads, brake fluid, and front bearings
Genny plugs, AF, oil and filter, fuel pump & filter, and soon the fuel line
Front steering stabilizers
Satellite Dish
Cleaned and sanitized holding tanks
Radiator flush w/new filter and gasket
Radiator hoses
Oil & filter with Fumoto valve installed
K&N air filter system
Front & rear poly bushings on sway bars
Serpentine belt replaced
Pressure tested, new roof AC seals replaced
Rear cap seal replaced
Drinking water filter w/spigot in kitchen sink
Body paint polished and sealed
Rebuilt several compartment latches
Tekonsha (sp?) brake controller installed
New tire valve extenders
Air Horn installed (actually a few years ago)

I've noticed the dash covering is just starting to peel away at the defroster vents. Haven't yet decided how to address this. Also waiting for an estimate on doing the carpeting. Thought about an exhaust brake, but man that's pricey!! Also thought about the CHF, but my end link attachment points only have one hole to attach to. There might be other stuff, but for now anything else escapes me. IS there anything else?

We plan on keeping this MH for a couple more years, maybe longer, so just getting it in tip top shape. Anything else I should consider? We do 5-6k miles per year.

Dubya
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Everything done to the coach, and not upgraded the mattress and 1000 thread count sheets? Happy camping... we get out with the friends at least once a month.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #3

I think you've done a lot more than most people have done for the year and mileage of your MH. I think you have hit the most important things, and cosmetic repairs can be done as needed. I would just go and use it and address any other issues if they arise. The dash may be handled by a simple dash cover, that would probably have to be made to size, there are a lot of places that make those. It's all done go out and have fun.

PS....you don't have an "Obviously A Lowly and Inferior MH"...Gas MH's are great for RV'ing.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

We love the mattress. If I was to ask the Misses, I'd bet the sheets are close or at 1000 count!! We looked years ago for dash covers, but this year was a one off. Maybe we should look again!
Old 05-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Looks like you have covered everything, I didn't see differential lube change on the list tho.
Oh and get out there in that thing, you have done WAY more work than most do, you deserve a brake.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #6

I checked the diff. Clean and reddish colored. We have our bi-annual trip to the Oregon Dunes in 2 1/2 weeks. Up the hills, down the hills. Up the hills, down the hills. Up the.....well, you get it!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1.Transmission oil and filter change. Make sure the trans cooler is large enough for your rig.
2. Change the rear end fluid.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #8

Transmission is being done today or tomorra. Rear diff fluid should be good for many more miles. Synthetic, and apparently good for "100,000" miles which means 50-60k. That's an easy one I can do in the driveway. Now me n the Misses are seriously thinking about squeezing in a Yellowstone/Rushmore/Geronimo/Teton trip right around Labor Day. Man we gonna be some busy folks!!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let me add to your list of need to do's:

Power Steering system flush
Leveling/slideout system flush
Transmission flush
Engine Spark Plugs/wires/coils Etc
Oh yeah did you lube it while you were under there?
Just thought I'd help we all need alittle
Old 05-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

I had my brake fluid flushed and changed last year. Around 30,000 miles. You may want to consider that too.