Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Question??? What good is the RVIA? I notice that there is a charge of $78.00 on every coach that I've seen for sale. What do they do to earn this money??? It sure isn't getting the manufacturer's to up their standards or QC. It'd be nice to see them fight for our (the buyer's)rights. Things like;
1) Getting warranty periods extended to at least 3 years (or more). Let's face it, if you spend $200,000+ you would like to see more than 12 months.

2) A required factory MSRP sticker (like on autos). Some dealers make up their own, and add an additional 10-15%. I've caught a few doing just this.

It just seems that they should do Something to earn the money that they collect off of every RV sold.

Any thoughts from anyone????

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Question??? What good is the RVIA? I notice that there is a charge of $78.00 on every coach that I've seen for sale. What do they do to earn this money??? It sure isn't getting the manufacturer's to up their standards or QC. It'd be nice to see them fight for our (the buyer's)rights. Things like;
1) Getting warranty periods extended to at least 3 years (or more). Let's face it, if you spend $200,000+ you would like to see more than 12 months.

2) A required factory MSRP sticker (like on autos). Some dealers make up their own, and add an additional 10-15%. I've caught a few doing just this.

It just seems that they should do Something to earn the money that they collect off of every RV sold.

Any thoughts from anyone????

Old 11-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #3

cb5300, can't disagree with you one iota. In fact when this RVIA fee started it was I think $50 and very quickly went to $60 and what the heck the buying public did not complain let'go for $78 and I'll bet $100 is right around the corner. Today I can not think of one place where I could waste another $78 as quickly.

What really frosts my cookies is no matter how your deal goes down this $78 is still in your net price and you get to pay sales tax on top of it.

Btw they are a manufacturers organization so I would not hold my breath for them to do diddly squat for the consiumer. Ken,'04 DSDP...
Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Wonder what would happen if we, the buying public just refused to pay it. I know that it would be impossible to get everyone to go along with this idea, but what the heck. I guess we could all buy used. Maybe some hot shot attorney will jump in there and bring a class action against them for hwy robbery.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question??? What good is the RVIA? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not getting into this bashing thread about the FEE added to each new RV, however, in the interest of our mission statement, I'd like to offer the following:

As as already been stated RVIA is an INDUSTRY oreinted organization, and therefore does not have consumerism as its primary mission. That said, I'm posting a cut & paste from their website where you can learn more about "them" at :www.rvia.org

START OF CUT & PASTE FROM RVIA WEBSITE:

Major RVIA Activities
Represents the RV industry and serves as the chief source for shipment statistics, market research and technical data.
Works to promote RV travel by providing information to the media and general public.
Maintains an inspection program to periodically audit RV manufacturers' compliance with the NFPA 1192 RV Standard. Also, RVIA provides an ongoing Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) educational program for its members.
Sponsors the California RV Show (open to the public) and the National RV Trade Show, the industry's premiere event where industry officials convene to do business on behalf of manufacturers, dealers and supplier companies:

55th Annual California RV Show
The Fairplex
Pomona, California
Oct. 12-21, 2007 Contact: RVIA Western Office:
Marsha McInnis
(951) 274-0696
45th Annual National RV Trade Show
Kentucky Expo Center
Louisville, Kentucky
Nov. 27-29, 2007 (Not open to the public)
Mike Hutya
(703) 620-6003
ext. 332

Meets with government representatives regarding state and national legislation affecting the RV industry. Current issues include energy, franchising, warranties, financial or credit restraints, product liability, licensing, titling and registration procedures, highway use rules and the development of more scenic byways.
Works with national regulatory bodies including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Federal Highway Administration and the United States Park Service regarding regulations affecting the RV industry.
Develops and participates in industry service technician training programs to build a strong base of trained RV service technicians. National efforts include directing the National RV Technical Institute, conducting four annual Trouble Shooter Clinics, developing RV service technician textbooks and shop training manuals, administering the RVDA/RVIA Certification Test.

END OF CUT & PASTE FROM RVIA WEBSITE

One thing I did not see RVIA taking credit for is the "RVIA LABEL" which is the highly desirable (IMO) placard required in all their member's products which "shows" us consumers the important information relating each unit's weights and CCC. While it is not "perfect", it has at least forced the OEMs to give us a little info about weights before we agree to the purchase.

I'd also like to point out that the retail dealers have their own INDUSTRY organization, called RVDA, which looks out for the dealer's best interest. These two organizations have not always been best buddies.

At least we consumers have sites like iRV2.com to rely upon to share information and promote OUR best interest! ED
Old 11-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #6

My thoughts are this.Imagine if there wasnt a body looking after the manufacturing of rv's.The oem's have to at least live up to the standards of the RVIA association to get the label.You see what they are getting away with now.I guess that label makes me feel warm inside.I am posting to give a little insight on how some of us think.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
My thoughts are this.Imagine if there wasnt a body looking after the manufacturing of rv's.The oem's have to at least live up to the standards of the RVIA association to get the label.You see what they are getting away with now.I guess that label makes me feel warm inside.I am posting to give a little insight on how some of us think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When RVers visit the various forums and listen to how many units fail for meet basic purpose for which they are manufactured, I would say the RVIA has not accomplished the purpose for which it represents.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #8

SHORT AND SWEET: The RVIA is like hiring the fox to guard the hen house. The results are very much the same.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #9

Fred and Bonnie: You are so correct. The RVIA looks after the mfrs. not the consumer. There are certain standards that all units must meet. The standards are mostly plumbing, electrical and propane. Nothing about quality control or construction methods. The weight thing is a joke. Every RV should leave the factory with an ACTAL weight of each wheel position. This would add nothing to the cost of the units and most units are weighed. But they do not give out that info as the buying public would revolt. I doubt things in that industry will ever change.

Moisheh
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #10

I have personaly gained an education from one of the rvia trouble shooters clinic for a week in Atlanta.I guess you could say you helped me and about 100 other tech trainees to get an education,Thank You.I guess I have a somewhat personal interest in it.I do respect your opinions,though.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #11

I've gotta throw this out about RVIA. I had previously owned a new 5ver that was a Forest River product. A fairly large RV manufacturer. It sported the RIVA label next to the entry door. After owning the unit for about a year, I was tinkering with adding a 12volt power outlet in the rear of the coach. The ideal place was a small cabnet in the rear corner that housed the 120v power breakers and distribution circuts for the entire rig. Adding the 12volt outlet seemed like a simple process at that location.

When I pulled the 120v panel out of the cabnet to fish the 12v wire through, I was shocked and amazed to find that the 30 amp plug and all the 120 wiring was directly below the city water inlet which was 6" below! The metal back of the breaker box was inches away from the connector for the water hook up. NOTHING seperated the two connections but 6" of air.

Suddenly I had the epifany that RVIA label in no way implies any kind of safety standard. Can you imagine the look on an inspectors face if you added the main water supply hose bib 6" above the electric meter cabinet on your house?!

Yep, I got a lot of faith in that RVIA sticker. I thought about asking them to send me some to patch a few rips in the rubber roof.....

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #12

Sarge what you found was a disaster waiting to happen. My brother's Damon had all the electrical fuse panels and connections in the clothes closet in the bedroom. He got hit by a very large spike and it set the whole thing on fire. Fortunately we were setting outside when it happened and heard the crackling and frying going on. We were able to put it all out before a fire broke out in the closet. It cost him dearly to repair, but at least he didn't lose his coach. How smart is it to install electrical hook ups in a clothes closet? RVIA was certainly on the job-NOT.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #13

You are absolutely correct Homer. I was baffled how some designer thought that this was a good idea. I traded the coach in when I got the MH almost 2 years ago. Needless to say I paid very close attention when inspecting where all the hook ups were when considering the purchase...

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question??? What good is the RVIA? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not getting into this bashing thread about the FEE added to each new RV,! [/b] ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you may have missed the point here. I'm not bashing the RIVA, I'm just asking a question of who they are and why they here in the first place. If you listen to the stories floating around about some of the "junk" being built and sold proves that the $78.00 that you pay is just money thrown away.

Now I believe that if a customer is paying their hard earned money to you then they have the right to receive something of value in return. If the RVIA is there to look after the manufacturers, then the maufacturers should be paying the fee NOT the consumers...May be what we need is an organization to be formed that could stand up for the consumers, and work with the manufacturers on behalf of the customer. Then I wouldn't mind paying a fee. I just hate being forced to donate money to a cause that's not in my best interest.