Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Yahoo to FOSJ
What Happens to the enclosed trailer when...

Joan and I are going full time March 2011. Since we've moved into the DP we no longer have a garage for the toys (2 harleys and a jeep). We're considering a trailer large enough to carry both with us, probably 25'-30'.

We intend to workamp and will be set up in one place for 3-6 months before moving along to our next location. Joan will be driving our car as we commute between workamp assignments.

I was wondering what happens to the trailer when we get to our destination? Should we expect to pay storage? Is space usually available within the campground or will it be offsite? Anyone in a similar postion that could share their experiences?
FOSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #2

One of our favorite CGs has a huge over flow lot for trailers, boats, MCs, tow dollies, etc. Others will let you park it on the side of your MH. On the other hand, some say don't park on the grass, one extra vehicle per space, etc.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We've always found space for our 20' in overflow parking. Some pull through sites have room also. Since our toad has a hitch it's easy to drop the trailer and move it.
If you're staying at one place for a long period I'd make the parking issue a priority while shopping.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
As others have said, it really depends on the park you choose. But here is one thought to keep in mind. I see that you have a 40' rig. Adding a 30' trailer may make you illegal in some states that you tow in. You may want to check it out before you spend the money on the big trailer. With the trailer hitch, and depending on how long your coach really is, you may be close to 80' long. Just a heads up.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
What SargeW said is an important issue. When we were trailer shopping we were ready to purchase a 24' with extended tongue. The length would have taken us over legal length for many states secondary roads.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #6

Also check the driver's licence requirements ... the required endorsements are sometimes length dependent ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #7

Do not take the over length issue lightly. I have a 40' DP and for several years towed a 20' trailer with an extended hitch, and to me an extended hitch is an absolute necessity. I always thought that overall I was between 64' 9" and 64' 11" and never took the time to actually tape it. Big mistake, the Texas Highway Patrol pulled me over in Midland, TX and were gracious enough to tape it for me and at 66'1" I had a $287 learning experience. The real PITA part of the story is how you have to pay for it----no cash, no checks, no credit/debit cards. I had to go buy a money order and mail it to them. I did not realize that U.S. currency is not legal tender in the Lone Star state--- actually it may have been if I had wanted to hang around until the courthouse opened on Monday and this was a Saturday. Two days in July in Midland,TX did not seem like a very attractive option to me. Take heed, Ken.....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are very few RV parks that will handle a 40' motorhome and another vehicle over 20' long in the same site. You will need to put the box trailer in storage (possibly several or many miles away) or somewhere in the park. About half of the parks have room to store other trailers and half do not. On top of that most parks allow one, or occasionally two, other vehicles in the campsite. You will look like Little Appalachia with a car, a Jeep and two motorcycles wedged into your site. You might consider getting a 10' box trailer for the two motorcycles. Then keep the bikes in the trailer which is in your site. Get a Jeep that can be used as your toad and and your toy and hope you can park it in the site too.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote