Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

What if motorhomes had 4 wheel drive???

It's an inventive idea that's been on my mind for years. If I only had the money to develop the patients for it. But the BIG question. What if Motorhomes both class A and class C had 4 wheel drive as a standard feature being able to switch from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive anytime you want. Would you like to own one of these??? Or would this discourage Motorhome sales??? So just curious what you think of the idea of a Motorhome with 4 wheel drive. I'm anxious to hear your feedback. Thanks
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #2

Long driveshafts are rough on u-joints
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #3

I would like 4 wheel drive motorhome.

Phoenix Cruiser, Winnebago, Host, Earth roamed and others offer them.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

Sorry. I should have added that because most Motorhome are already rear wheel drive a drive shaft extension added to the front axle might help make the 4wd feature more reliable and solve the u joint problem.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #5

Would be a great idea . Wouldn't have to worry as much about getting stuck while out boondocking , or launching a boat in a small lake from a sand beach. Up here in the north , all my vehicles are 4 wheel drive except my RV.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Would love it if our Navion were 4wheel drive. There are definate reasons to have it in this region.
Lynnowensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

Just think of all the money tow companies would be making pulling all the stuck motorhomes out of places they were never meant to go!!!

On gasser's the conversion would be no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome.jpg
Views:	1359
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	178145  
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #8

I would take it off road, for me it would be so I could use it winter.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #9

I went through that craze when I was younger. I'm not saying I'll never own another 4WD but I don't see them as all that desirable. That is from somebody that had a couple of jobs where they had to do house calls on a daily basis in the winter in WNY. Few places don't have the road plowed for the school bus or their driveway/parking lot cleared shortly after. If there is a storm during the day one is sitting in traffic waiting for the guy running baldini's to clear the intersection so the rest of us can move. I do run good snow tires and prefer FWD or weight in the P/U. I will give 4wd credit for one thing, one can get really stuck relying on it for getting through places one should not be.

The best thing to do when the weather gets bad is to find a parking lot and boondock overnight. In the morning the roads will get cleared and driving will be much safer.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Just think of all the money tow companies would be making pulling all the stuck motorhomes out of places they were never meant to go!!!

On gasser's the conversion would be no problem.
Those military axles are worth more than my motorhome. They already make NEW 4x4 motorhomes if money is no object
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #11

Take a look at some of these Grit in the Gears: My Outdoor Camping Aspirations.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #12

A lot of them fall apart driving down the highway, but there are some pretty lousy highways. I can't imagine what those same motor homes would look like after going off road.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #13

It's been done before, many times. AEV or, American Expedition Vehicles has made a few of them. Mostly on request and, specific design and requirements. Many folks who either have lots of money or, have lots of smarts or, BOTH, have done it.
Short story. A very good friend of mine from long, long ago, was into desert camping with his family. I'm talking the Algodones San Dune area of Imperial County, close to Yuma AZ. He'd seen numerous campers getting stuck, time after time, trying to camp closer to the sand dunes. Well, this man, was one of the most ingenious people I've ever known. He took a WWII Weapons carrier frame and put his own skeleton structure on it. The engine, was a flat head, Cadillac TANK motor that was what's known as "New Old Stock".

Meaning, that motor was designed and built for the early model U.S. Army tanks. It was brand new and had never been sold or run. It was totally coated in cosmoline when he purchased it. He put that motor in, behind a GM tranny of the era. Keep in mind, all this was done, oh, about 45 years ago or so. He used a front hub/wheel bearing set as seat posts which, meant they could swivel. There's tons and tons of info I could relate here about the construction etc. on this RV but, suffice to say, when he was all done with his part, he transported it to a local sheet metal company in El Cajon CA and, they did the skin work.

When it was completely done, it looked almost identical to an older Winnebago Brave. Only, it was about another foot higher, had Kelsy Hays wheels (solid disc) and 33 x 12:50 x 16 Mud Terrains on it. I got-a tell ya folks, that was one BAD-A$$ looking motor home. It was only about 28' long or so, if I recall.

I was fortunate to go camping with them in the Dune area once or twice and, you should have seen the looks on peoples faces as he drove into areas very near the sand, all the while towing a tandem axle trailer with TWO heavier dune buggies on it, and didn't even think about getting stuck. This was a serious crack-up. He'd even get asked to help pull out other campers that got stuck in the softer areas.

So, his is not the only one I've seen in a form of a Class A that was 4WD. I've seen quite a few others. It's not a production item due to the fact that,

1. Not very much demand for anything like that
2. The Cost of a motor home is high enough, now add 4WD.
3. What kind of warranty would have to be supplied for either a class A or a class C to keep in tune with regular warranties and drive trains?
4. Most larger truck chassis's that are equipped with 4WD are considerably higher in center of gravity, i.e. fire trucks, Telephone/line equipment trucks, dump trucks and a whole lot more.

Now, add that option to either a class A or C and, you'll have about 3-4 MORE steps to climb to get into and out of one.

Don't get me wrong here, I think it's a cool idea based on the additional places that one could go, to get away from the maddening crowds.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #14

Four wheel drive allows you to get farther off road before you get stuck worse than two wheel drive.

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes