Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 PM   #1

My HR Vacationer came with only a 140 watt Dimensions inverter that has never worked to power a TV, etc. So after using my generator when I dry camp and need 110 I have decided to have a new 1500-2500 watt inverter installed. My question is what brand, etc should I consider and WHY? I have an estimate from the Monaco service center in Indiana that seems high (nearly $6000) and want to compare and check prices. I do not know what brand they will install (am waiting for reply now).

So let me hear from you and try to be specific on model numbers, size/watts, etc. Seems most Monaco coaches come with 2000 watt so that is what I have been looking at (Xantrex, etc) I noticed today that the new HR coaches have Magnum inverters but sales people know nothing about them.

'05 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4WD, Aluminator, Brake Buddy
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 PM   #2

My HR Vacationer came with only a 140 watt Dimensions inverter that has never worked to power a TV, etc. So after using my generator when I dry camp and need 110 I have decided to have a new 1500-2500 watt inverter installed. My question is what brand, etc should I consider and WHY? I have an estimate from the Monaco service center in Indiana that seems high (nearly $6000) and want to compare and check prices. I do not know what brand they will install (am waiting for reply now).

So let me hear from you and try to be specific on model numbers, size/watts, etc. Seems most Monaco coaches come with 2000 watt so that is what I have been looking at (Xantrex, etc) I noticed today that the new HR coaches have Magnum inverters but sales people know nothing about them.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I would recemmend the Xantrex as this was what was Trace before the merger of Heart, and Trace. It is a dependable unit if installed properly. There is quite a lot involved to retrofit an inverter into an existing coach. I installed one on our last coach but I have extensive experince in electrical/electronic and saved quite a lot of money. I still had about $2000 invested in a 2000 watt Trace RV 2012. I think now the model is the same or very close. The "20" stands for 2000 watt. The "12" is for a 12 volt system. You will need to have four 6 volt deep cycle batteries to push this system. It also has it's own built in three stage charger (which is very good) and you will have to diconnect the present converter charger. Herer is a link for some technical data for the Xantrex inverters. Xantrex Inverter
Hope this will be of help in you decision process. If you have any other question feel free to ask.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:42 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I vote for Xantrex also. My RV came with a 600 watt unit, that was just for the entertainment equipment.
I installed a Xantrex Pro-sine 2000 Watt unit in place of the existing 600Watt. I also added 200 watts of Solar and two more Trojan T-105 Batteries in spring of 2004. I installed a 110 volt Sub-panel/Breaker box to separate the inverter system from the existing setup.
I had a Certified Tech help me with the installation , as I did not want to fry any of my investment.
Read up on Solar and inverter installation on the internet.

Search for the best price on the invertor. I saved a bundle. They were going for abou t $2500. I found a Sale for $1500, including Battery Cables and a 300 amp fuse box.
I have seen a lot of good deals @ Solar On Sale.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I installed a Xantrex Prosine 2500 true sine wave in my Suncruiser. My Allegro Bus came with a Xantrex Freedom 458, which is a 2,000 watt modified sine wave inverter. I replaced it with a Xantrex RS2000 true sine wave inverter. The problem with the modified sine wave inverters is that they don't produce true RMS voltage. That's fine for light bulbs but not so fine for electronics. When I upgraded to the RS2000 I noticed that the microwave didn't growl as much and the entire power output was cleaner, just like shore power.

The RS2000 is fairly new but it's designed for RVs. It's construction is more solid than the older Prosine series and it's shaped as a direct replacement, sizewise anyway, for the Freedom 458 that is so popular with the OEM coach builders. It also uses the Xanbus network topology which uses cat5 cable to communicate with other devices. One System Control Panel will control the inverter as well as the new Xanbus enabled Automatic Generator Start, which I also installed.

I bought mine at This Link and was very satisfied. They also have some good FAG pages on their site that will be good reading for anyone interested in an inverter/charger.
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are going with an inverter/charger, get the Prosine pure sine wave model.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #7

Thanks to rebelsbeach (Bob) for pointing out this forum.

I have spent a pile of money on modifications and improvements on our new Horizon over the summer and everything is documented here.

One of the first things I did was to remove the stock 2,000 watt square-wave (or stepped square-wave) Dimensions and replace it with the Xantrex RS2000 pure sine wave inverter. This is a wonderful unit and I am pleased as can be with its performance. NEVER do we lose time on any clock, there is no hum or hum bars in any radio or TV and the RS2000 can be extensively configured for your particular situation and your preferences.

In spite of coming and going (on & off of shore power), we have never had a drop-out of anything electric or electronic in the coach - talk about a super-duper UPS system

Xantrex's tech support was quite good - they were helpful, extremely knowledgeable, and in no particular hurry to dump your call as fast as they could and move on to the next call.

Thanks to Mark's (cruzer) suggestion about Don Rowe as a vendor for Xantrex, I gave them a try and ordered from them. They had great prices, shipping was free and prompt. I would use them again.

Jdingwall's quote of $6,000 seems to me to be right in the ballpark - that is if you cut about $4,000 off of the quote

My inverter swapout took about four or five hours. The difficult part was running Cat5 cable from the inverter location to the control panel. Dimensions used an eight conductor cable with an RJ45 plug but it was NOT Cat5 (ethernet) compatable unfortunately. I must have spent a good hour under the coach planning a Cat5 wire run. The actual inverter swap only took about an hour.

One factor that made the changeout relatively easy was the fact that the coach already had a 2,000 watt inverter so I did not need to make any 12V or 120VAC wiring changes. If this kind of wiring is needed, you might be looking at a few hundred bucks just for it. But come on - $6,000 - I don't think so.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:37 AM   #8

I agree that $6000.00 seems high but the quote is coming from Holiday Rambler themselves. I also checked the local HR dealer, Canyon RV sales and they indicated 9-10 hours of labor at $100.00 per hour mainly because I do not have a 2000 watt inverter now and running the wiring looks like a problem. I'm not inclined to do it my self so looking for best service center in So. Calif to do the work.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

RS2000 down to $1500 smackers on Don Rowe's site...
Old 12-25-2005, 11:54 AM   #10

I purchased the Magnum MS2000 True Sine Wave inverter with built in 100 amp 3 stage charger & remote head for about $1500 to use with my solar panels & 450 amp battery bank.

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:24 PM   #11

I now have some additional information about my original Post and the quote from the Monaco Service Center. I received their estimate by mail a day or so ago. I have emailed them for clarification on many items (**)but here is some of the information included in the estimate. (Again this is from the Monaco Service Center at 1901 W. Hively Ave., Elkhart, IN 46517)

First they dont identify the inverter so I have asked for make-model-etc. Est $918.75 **

Next here are various items included in the estimate

** LABOR - 30 HOURS (YES THIRTY HOURS) @ $92/HR FOR A TOTAL OF $2760.00 (They are going to take nearly 4 days at 8 hrs/day to install

Inverter remote - $209.00 w/LED display and 50' cable (reasonable)

Cable Ctrl 50ft for EMS Panel - $12.00

** 40 feet of 12-2 Romex wire - $42.40

** 20 feet of 10-2 Romex wire - $17.60

16GA wire - $1.40

Breaker box - $52.95

** 6-4 wire - $55.10 (amt not stated)

** Battery Cable - 20 FEET OF RED - $88.60

** Battery Cable - 20 FEET OF BLACK - $88.60

** 2 - house batteries at $96.14 each (forgot to tell them I already have 4 - Interstate 6V deep cycle batteries that I only paid $70.00 for)

Switch Disc Battery - $24.68

Conduit/black .375 - 25 ft - $2.75

1/2 Romax connectors - $0.88 cents

** Total Cost is $4469.96

Included in the $6000.00 estimate I Posted is also the following

** 65watt Solar Panel labor 5 hours = $460.00
Panel estimate is $572.00

Solar Controller - $68.75

** Grand Total is $5892.94 (not exactly $6000 but close)

Many of the items are not rationale from my perspective and I have asked for clarification. Those are maked with a **.

But what is the opinion of those of you who are more "expert and knowledgeable" of these items than I am.

Jim

PS - I already know I am getting an inverter elsewhere - a RS2200 from Xantrex. I have found one for $1155.00 brand new from a dealer including the Remote Panel and cable.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:20 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it looks like they are charging you for all the incidentals, such as cables, etc. That's typical but 30 hours is way over the edge for that install.

As to the solar panel, I'd be sure that you know what it is going to do (or NOT do) before going with that part of the package. A 65 watt panel won't make much of a dent on your battery capacity. It'll charge them somewhat but the inverter will suck themn down pretty fast. On my Suncruiser I had a Prosine 2500 watt inverter and two 110 watt panels and they didn't make an appreciable dent into the time between battery recharges. On my Bus I have 4 panels, which gives me 440 watts. I'm still not totally dependant on them but it does increase the time between charges where we can comfortably boondock. If you are thinking that the 65 watts will keep your batteries full you won't be happy with the results. If you are looking just to keep your batteries up when in storage, then that's a different case.

Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote