Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
The AH system was a big selling point for me when we decided on our RV and perhaps the most useful part of this RV. We camped last April in 30 to 40 degree weather and the system kept us in hot water and heat with minimal use of the diesel burner.

This summer the only time we use the diesel burner is when the DW is going to take a shower. The electric keeps the water hot for all other uses.

The AH system maybe expensive if your going to retrofit a coach but if your buying a coach and your choice is between a coach with the AH system installed and one that does not have it TAKE the one with the AH system. At least that is my IMHO.

CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
One other thing I forgot to mention in my previous post was the fact that when comparing an Aqua-Hot Hot Water Heating System to any LPG Forced Air Heating System, it's like apples and oranges.

All forced air heating systems in homes or RV's will have hot spots and cold spots. You can't avoid it because of the way the system is designed. However, the Aqua-Hot is similar to a baseboard hot water heating system or even an old radiator style system. The heat is radiated into the home and provides a more even type of heat that does not leave you with hot spots and cold spots within a house or RV.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
IMHO it is worth noting that there is a competitor to Aqua-Hot that I believe makes a simpler, less expensive product that is currently being installed in several brands of very high end MH's and boats. Our system was manufactured by Welcome To International Thermal Research | International Thermal Research and was sold under the name Hurricane. That model has been replaced by newer models but the operating principles remain the same: an antifreeze-filled boiler reservoir is heated by a diesel burner and the circulating liquid provides 3 zones of heat and unlimited hot water. Additionally, when the engine is running, the system can be heated by excess engine heat and the hot liquid can also be used to warm the diesel on a cold morning.
My 2008 Mandalay has an Oasis system, also made by ITR. As far as I know, it is very similar in design and operation to the Aqua-Hot and Hydro-Hot systems. (This type of system is generically known as a "hydronic" heating system.)

Short answer: we love ours, would never have another coach without a similar system. Endless hot water, efficient heat, engine pre-heat (and the reverse, let the engine heat help heat the coach), a nice toasty heating unit under the dash for cold-weather driving ... and all of it running off our 150-gal. diesel tank.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
No flaming by me.

Yes, they are VERY expensive, a $12-$14 thousand dollar option. You will find people that either LOVE them or HATE them. I happen to love mine and would not own another coach without one.

If the diesel burner has been maintained and service correctly, you should not have any smoke or strong smell. However, they do make a product called Gen-Turi for people with generators and Aqua-Hot systems which redirect the exhaust over the top of the coach where it belongs in the first place.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I totally agree.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzs View Post
On a 43' coach, my AquaHot will burn 1/2 to 3/4 gallon an hour in 20 degree temperature, that works out 12 to 16 gallons a day or $50 on the low side. Need a big diesel tank.

I would guess propane at 2 to 3 dollars a gallon is a lot cheaper not to mention the cost of a Aquahot unit.
We wouldn't own a MH without a AH.

We own tag axle Monacos.

We vacation in the mtns of Colorado summer and winter.

In the winter where we stay the temps never get above freezing and get as low as minus 20 at nite. Over a 10 day period we use about 10 gals of diesel. The AH electric element was on too. We also had 1 small electric ceramic heater.

In the summer the temps vary from 35 to 75. The electric element does the job without ever turning on the diesel.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #20

After reading what I can on the Aqua Hot system, I am still not convinced that I would take it over the old style propane heat. I understand about the more even heat, but when boondocking for long periods of time, I want all of the diesel fuel I can have. Also with the forced air propane, we can put our boots in front of the vents and either dry them out or to warm them up before we put them on. We like to have the temp turned down during the night while sleeping which one can not do with a passive heat system. The other thing that concerns me is prepping the system for winter storage.
Guess that I am still 'old school'!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home
After reading what I can on the Aqua Hot system, I am still not convinced that I would take it over the old style propane heat. I understand about the more even heat, but when boondocking for long periods of time, I want all of the diesel fuel I can have. Also with the forced air propane, we can put our boots in front of the vents and either dry them out or to warm them up before we put them on. We like to have the temp turned down during the night while sleeping which one can not do with a passive heat system. The other thing that concerns me is prepping the system for winter storage.
Guess that I am still 'old school'!
Unless you are boondocking in temp that are below freezing for long periods of time, it would be unusual to use more than 1-2 gal of diesel per day. The burner does not run full time. LP has lower BTUs per gal and you are faced with having to refill the LP. the AquaHot is not passive heat. Each heat exchanger/radiator has a fan so the same warm boots routine can be used. The only thing necessary to lower the heat at night is turn down the thermostat just like an LP furnace. The only part of the system that has to be winterized is the hot water loop in the AquaHot. It can be blown out or filled with RV antifreeze just like the fresh water system would have to be winterized anyway.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote