Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for the continued advice. To answer some concerns on my current tow vehicle. It is a 96 not 86 like I accidently typed. It is a V6 with a 5.7 engine. It has a newly rebuilt transmission with the parts upgraded to handle towing and a large tranmission cooler. I was the one to have the transmision rebuilt and I do trust him.

My 70 yr old father has driven my set up and says it feels good but I haven't weighed everything because dad who is helping me is more of a feel guy than a numbers guy. He has been towing things for years.

My travel plans are to travel with my best female friend. Also single and 10 years older. We will be out 3 to 6 months at a time seeing as much as we can see. We are state and national park type people. Our first trip this May was 6 national parks, 4000 miles and 2.5 weeks with mom as our Senior pass discount groupee.

We need a layout with two beds (twins are fine). We are currently using bunks but when I retire I don't want to be climbing in and out of a top bunk. Dogs are included in the travel so I value a decent sized couch with a separate dinette. Dogs get to sleep on the couch.

I check in regularly on the boards but feel like I need to get a better grasp on the motor part as $20,000 in repairs on an engine isn't in my financial picture. I want to be able to understand how to take care of small problems and know what to watch for to avoid big ones.
JoyNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #16

A smaller class C or A would work out nice. If you stay away from the diesel pushers , the drive train is very similar to a truck . The only problem with a motorhome is you have to break camp to go for supplies unless you have a Toad. We only stay in one place for a few days , so going without a Toad works for us. Went from tent to trailer to C then A . Now that we have our A we wouldn't go back.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyNoelle View Post
but when I retire I don't want to be climbing in and out of a top bunk. Dogs are included in the travel so I value a decent sized couch with a separate dinette. Dogs get to sleep on the couch.

I check in regularly on the boards but feel like I need to get a better grasp on the motor part as $20,000 in repairs on an engine isn't in my financial picture.
1) What I picked up in your post was "when I retire". That means getting older. You're looking down the road some and trying to plan. You also said, "when I retire, I don't want to be climbing in and out of a top bunk", yeah and you also don't want to be hooking and unhooking a trailer either. Overtime, that will get old quick, especially as you get OLDER when your body doesn't work like it does now.

2) $20,000 in repairs on an engine isn't in my financial picture...
Of course not and that's you need to stay away from Diesel Class A's. A class A IMO is not what you need or even consider and I know you're not.

3) Maintenance covers a lot of things like you're learning. A gas rig (the chassis stuff, engine, tranny etc...the stuff you seem to be afraid of) will be a whole lot easier and cheaper to maintain. It shouldn't be a big deal. But other maintenance items and annual scheduled PM stuff will be on ALL rigs no matter what you end up with. You have a house on wheels, so you'll always have house maintenance stuff to do and you'll learn to perform them. Besides...there's nothing cooler than seeing a woman wearing a tool belt.

4) Personally—in your situation—I think a gas Class C is perfect. Lots of choices, not a lot of money, roomy for the both of you, easy to go to the places you mentioned you want to go, no hooking or unhooking and much easier to park & set up, easy to drive for either one of you and shouldn't be outrageous to insure. I would get one with 2 beds and not depend on one of them that folds out. Like a dinette or a couch. That will get old real quick too. Remember, you're getting older. You'll also have room for your dogs. Well, I guess you'll have room for them. I don't know how big or hairy they are. We saw a couple walking a fews ago in a CG that had 3 fairly large dogs. I'd say in the 50 - 65b. range each. Afterwards, they entered into about a 32' trailer or so and I turned to my wife and said, "OH, no, no, no. No way Jose. We have 1 little adorable 14lb. Yorkie and he's enough thank you. I digressed.

Good luck.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #18

Quote:
but when I retire I don't want to be climbing in and out of a top bunk. Dogs are included in the travel so I value a decent sized couch with a separate dinette. Dogs get to sleep on the couch.

I check in regularly on the boards but feel like I need to get a better grasp on the motor part as $20,000 in repairs on an engine isn't in my financial picture.
1) What I picked up in your post was "when I retire". That means getting older. You're looking down the road some and trying to plan. You also said, "when I retire, I don't want to be climbing in and out of a top bunk", yeah and you also don't want to be hooking and unhooking a trailer either. Overtime that will get old quick, especially as you get OLDER when your body doesn't work like it does now.

2) $20,000 in repairs on an engine isn't in my financial picture...
Of course not and that's you need to stay away from Diesel Class A's. A class A IMO is not what you need or even consider and I know you're not.

3) Maintenance covers a lot of things like you're learning. A gas rig (the chassis stuff, engine, tranny etc...the stuff you seem to be afraid of) will be a whole lot easier and cheaper to maintain. It shouldn't be a big deal. But other maintenance items and annual scheduled PM stuff will be on ALL rigs no matter what you end up with. You have a house on wheels, so you'll always have house maintenance stuff and will learn to perform them. Besides...there's nothing cooler than seeing a woman wearing a tool belt.

4) Personally—in your situation—I think a gas Class C is perfect. Lots of choices, not a lot of money, roomy for the both of you, easy to go to the places you mentioned you want to go, no hooking or unhooking, easy to drive for either one of you and shouldn't be outrageous to insure. I would get one with 2 beds and not depend on one one that folds out. That will get old real quick too. You'll also have room for your dogs. Well, I guess you'll have room for them. I don't know how big or hairy they are. We saw a couple walking a fews ago in a CG that had 3 fairly large dogs. I'd say in the 50 - 65b. range each. Afterwards, they entered into about a 32' trailer or so and I turned to my wife and said, "OH, no, no, no. No way Jose. We have 1 little adorable 14lb. Yorkie and he's enough thank you. I digressed.

Go here and take a look and read some. It won't hurt.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/

Good luck.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the continued advice. To answer some concerns on my current tow vehicle. It is a 96 not 86 like I accidently typed. It is a V6 with a 5.7 engine. It has a newly rebuilt transmission with the parts upgraded to handle towing and a large tranmission cooler. I was the one to have the transmision rebuilt and I do trust him.

We need a layout with two beds (twins are fine). We are currently using bunks but when I retire I don't want to be climbing in and out of a top bunk. Dogs are included in the travel so I value a decent sized couch with a separate dinette. Dogs get to sleep on the couch.
I do believe that the 5.7 (350 CID) is a V-8. The 4L60E transmissions coupled to the 5.7 are pretty good for the long run, and absolutely perfect with the proper auxiliary coolers!

You're in luck - there are motor homes out there with twins, and they generally sell for a lower price than those with the single queen inthe bedroom!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
No right or wrong answer here. They all have good points and bad points. I have had them just about all of them over the years. What works for you is the one that will be the right one. Being 66 and disabled I ended up with a class A with auto levelers. I had trouble leveling the TT with my limitations. I did not care for the overhang on the class C. You may try looking into a B+ also
Old 10-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
You have not mentioned your budget so here is a shot in the dark. There are several makes of Cs that have or h e had twin beds in the back. Basically same motor type you are used to now with a pickup. Towing is no problem for you as you already know how, only difference is you don't backup a towed. Sounds like a well setup and cared for, about 28' C with or without a slide would fit you well. Then add a small 4x4 towed, I say 4x4 from reading where you go now. With the newer RV there will be a few new things to learn but not a problem for a seasoned RVer. With this combo you are set to travel even boondock, the MH will most likely have a generator, EZ setup, and a go anywhere towed for your adventures. Also you have time to shop and ask questions here and the big plus you already do most of what is needed to use this type of RV.

LEN
Old 10-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #22

There are a lot of class c leprechaun rental RV's coming and going through the parks this year. They are basic units and must be pretty reliable to be in a rental fleet. Towing a toad is costly to set up and comes with its own issues. I would stick with newer truck and travel trailer.
Happy Trails
Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #23

I don't know how much of a private person you are but a travel trailer and decent pickup should work fine. I hate for work men to traipse through my personal space and tend to do all repairs at a campground with one or two people helping me. Almost anything inside the trailer can be worked on or repaired by fellow campers who usually are very generous with their time and expertise. There usually are few problems with a tt that make it unlivable for a few days. I find in almost every park a reasonable rate retired rv tech and if you're willing to help, learn and get your hands dirty and work around their schedule thy will cut you a break.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:09 AM   #24

Thanks again for your thoughtful replies. I have to admit the idea of not having to hook up a trailer is something that sounds really goid. To just get in and go without having to worrying about hitches and sway bars may be something I find valuable. I did go drooling on Saturday and loved the layout of the Thor Axis 24.1. If only it wasn't a Thor....
JoyNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks again for your thoughtful replies. I have to admit the idea of not having to hook up a trailer is something that sounds really goid. To just get in and go without having to worrying about hitches and sway bars may be something I find valuable. I did go drooling on Saturday and loved the layout of the Thor Axis 24.1. If only it wasn't a Thor....
I wouldn't be too concerned about it being a Thor. Our 2017 Quantum has been great. Everything that is built has potential issues, and a motorhome is more so. Each one has thousands of parts and most aren't assembled as most vehicles where it is predrilled or slotted and lines up only one way and all the wiring plugs into a mated connection.
Read EVERY manufacturers (including Tiffin, American, Newmar,) and the other "high end luxury" coaches and they also have issues. One even had an issue with mounting bolts for the slide motors backing out and causing the motor housings to break. It took several years for this to be addressed. The solution was to give the installers a torque wrench and a tube of Loctite(TM). Yes, the "high end" coach probably has relatively fewer problem ratio, but then again, most on that line started on the lower level lines of coaches and move up. They also have more latitude to address possible issues on the assembly line, as do the same on the "high end" Thor lines. If you are looking at an "entry level" coach from any line, they are going to be assembled by the "entry level" assemblers. Are you going to get a $250 water pump of a $70 water pump on your entry level coach? What heating and A/C system? What water heater? Linoleum or tile flooring? Then put all of this onto a "entry level" chassis which at present is the E450 and F53. Want to take away the constant 4.0 earthquake your coach rides on. Go upper end and a DP on an air ride suspension. Guess which isn't "entry level".
The THOR name is across many brands and levels. Please forgive me if I am off on my numbers, but at present about 70% of the new RVs sold are either the THOR branding or a subsidiary, therefore 70% of the complaints would be reasonable.
As to an apples to apples comparison, I don't see much difference between the different makers. All have complaints, Thor more so because of the much higher market share. When is the last time you have seen somebody just start a thread just because they love the quality of their coach and no real issues. I haven't, but that would describe me. I am planning to take our back to the factory, but everything is minor and does not effect our use of the coach. Are their mods I want to make, or have made, yes.

Am I happy with our 80K + coach, yes, very much so. Had somebody else asking about the Quantum line, absolutely yes. When mine went down the line, it was about as custom as I think Thor gets as it is the only one I have seen with the cabinets in the overhang instead of bunks and that was our "wow factor" for this particular coach.

Your money and your decision, but personally I know that mine has been great and the THOR and their vendors have been responsive to me.

BTW, we don't use ours just every other weekend. We eat, sleep, and play in ours everyday. I am purposely working every system that we have. It gets folded up and moved regularly and then set back up.

Our Thor=
Old 10-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #26

I agree with what many others have said about keeping a diesel pusher off your list. I've owned just about every type of RV from tent trailer to a recently purchased diesel pusher. The diesel pushers are in another league as far as regular maintenance is concerned. Just a simple oil, filter, and fuel filter change went from $60 to $200 and that with me doing the labor. Also finding parts isn't a simple matter of going to a local auto parts chain. I've done my own vehicle maintenance my whole life and the first time I had to remove the front wheel and brakes from my diesel pusher I was shocked at how large and heavy those parts were compared to even truck parts.

That leaves you with a gas RV, or a towable with tow vehicle. Since all but the largest use a lot of common truck parts, maintenance can be cheaper and parts more readily available. I can tell you that each type has it's trade offs. Having a towable gives you the ability to unhook and go to the store, or for a sightseeing drive, but comes with the hassle of hooking or unhooking which is no fun in the rain. A motorhome offer the pack and go convenience, but you lose the versatility that a towable and tow vehicle offers. If your drivetrain needs repair, your home goes into the shop with it and vice-versa.

Good luck on your quest, and have fun shopping. Hope you find what you are looking for.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote