Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

What is most stable road handling MH

Currently have a 23 yr old 30' class A pace arrow. I would like to step up to something newer, but really want something that hugs the road and doesn't get tossed around so easily by passing vehicles and the slightest bit of wind.
TomMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
laj

For that effect need longer heavier and tag.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #3

Alpine Coach is the only two axle coach on the road that has all Class 8 running gear, and drives like a dream. I traded up to Alpine from a 28ft Trek that was on a Chevy (later became Workhorse) P30 chassis that wandered all over two counties in a wind or if road surface was uneven. I've driven the Alpine thru Baja when the gasoline trucks were grounded due to wind blowing them off the road and the Alpine drive was quite manageable (that much wind moved me around, but I could control the coach just fine).

After Alpine, you'll need a tag axle coach. Alpines come in 35, 37, 38.5 & 40 feet. The factory went out of business in 2008ish, but there is excellent support thru Alpine Coach Association and here on iRV2 under the Alpine Coach Forum. Many folks have traded to Alpine for the stability & ride of the chassis.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Alpine Coach is the only two axle coach on the road that has all Class 8 running gear.
How do you figure that?
I have yet to see an Alpine with an 18 speed manual trans. and our running gear is certainly Class 8.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Agree with Mr_D.

Jerry
Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
How do you figure that?
I have yet to see an Alpine with an 18 speed manual trans. and our running gear is certainly Class 8.
Agree with Mr. D as well. Now if i could only figure out how to put one of those in mine i would be giggling.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #7

Well anything will handle better than a Pace Arrow.

Always buy an RV based on it being a road machine first, and a house second. Avoid short wheelbases and long rear overhangs.

The new gas rigs with 24,000lb and 26,000lb chassis look promising as good drivers. You don't have to buy a 45' DP with tag axle to get something that drives decently. Just keep the wheelbase at 55% - higher if you get find it, and watch that rear overhang.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Well anything will handle better than a Pace Arrow.

Always buy an RV based on it being a road machine first, and a house second. Avoid short wheelbases and long rear overhangs.

The new gas rigs with 24,000lb and 26,000lb chassis look promising as good drivers. You don't have to buy a 45' DP with tag axle to get something that drives decently. Just keep the wheelbase at 55% - higher if you get find it, and watch that rear overhang.
How do I determine xx,xxx lb chassis weight? Is that the entire weight of RV or just frame the house sets on? Not sure what you are telling me re: calculating wheelbase at 55%. Sorry for my ignorance on this subject, but could you try again. My dad always said " when your born dumb... It's forever. Lol
Ammiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Obviously you're talking about an air (diesel) system as opposed to springs.
Not being an expert it would seem that 2 air bags per tire (set) would react faster and more if needed. There's only one manufacturer that makes an 8 bag system - RoadMaster (Monaco)..
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammiller View Post
How do I determine xx,xxx lb chassis weight? Is that the entire weight of RV or just frame the house sets on? Not sure what you are telling me re: calculating wheelbase at 55%. Sorry for my ignorance on this subject, but could you try again. My dad always said " when your born dumb... It's forever. Lol
Sorry.

The wheelbase is a function of the total length of the vehicle divided by the distance between the axles.

Take the case of the Tiffin 36LA. This has the heavier chassis - 24,000 lb made by Ford. The wheelbase is 252" - about the longest you'll find on a gas rig. The overall length is 36'10" or 442". So 252/442= 57%. By all reports this is a great driving rig. There are other models out there with even higher ratios - some being smaller rigs - so you have to research that.

The major guidelines I've seen is that above 50% is "acceptable", but the higher the better.

As others have mentioned, there are other factors to consider like air suspension that may effect handling or ride. Also, the different chassis will have different size tires - the 24,000 lb chassis has bigger tires than the 22,000 lb chassis - which will also lead to better handling. Lots of factors, no?

The size chassis is important because it will effect the stiffness of the chassis - the foundation of your rig and it's load carrying capacity. You don't want a rig that is at the very limit of it's weight capacity.

You'll know what size chassis a rig has because you'll either ask, or see it in the literature, etc. All the manufacturer will state what they are using. That "weight" is the max it will carry, so in the case of the 36LA, that is the weight of the vehicle and all cargo, occupants, fuels, water, etc - so the max it can weight fully loaded and ready to go camping. This rig is reportedly weighing out around 20-21000 bs dry, leaving 3-4,000 lbs for all your stuff, which is a good reserve. You don't really want to drive a rig around that is totally maxed out.
If I were buying one of these, I might inquire if I can have it built on the 26,000 chasis, so I'd have even more reserve capacity, and thus a more robust RV.

Hope that's more clear. Good luck in the hunt!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Any diesel pusher with air suspension will out handle any springs and shocks setup.
Driving my old spring& shock rig would wear me out before noon. The air bag setup I have now I can drive all day. Just Monday I was driving in 40MPH wind and not worried about it. I did lower my speeds to keep the DW quiet ;-)
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #13

Answer: drive a bunch of them
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Retired Senior Member

With reference to OP question: IMHO, Monaco, Foretravel and Country Coach.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote