Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-30-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
What is the best way to empty out propane

Last week I had our propane tank partially filled, as usual, we bubble check for leaks. The attendant found a tiny, tiny leak where the indicator screws into the tank. I got approximately 7# of LP gas in this tank.

now that I am home, I like to get it fix. what is the best way for me to empty out the propane tank? HELP... what do I do with the 7 # of LP gas?

a little bit on my background, I've been a refrigeration contractor for past thirty years, I repair many Freon leak, natural gas leak in home furnaces. So I am very familiar on how to properly repair a gas leak. However, I have never had to empty out an LP tank and then trying to fix a leak. suggestions are welcome.

Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #2

get some friends together, fire up the barbie...

2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
If you are getting a propane alert I would take the rig to a propane dealer and have them pump it out. If not you may be able to open the doors and fire up the furnace and stove. Run until the propane is empty.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
If it's a portable tank get it out in the open some where and open valve and let it out, if it's mounted on Rv hook a hose to it and carry hose out somewhere in the open and let it out . This is what gas co, do or put a torch on it and burn it off,
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
You can't open portable tanks anymore, with the new valves. You can open the bleeder, on the side of the valve and let them slowly drain, away from flame and basement windows..

But it's not a portable tank, they don't have indications.

To the OP, you have at least 7 gallons in the tank. Bulk propane is delivered by the gallon, not pounds.

If safe to use, I think the heat will be the fastest way to use up the gas.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
Most propane suppliers, not the places that you normally buy propane(the ones that supply propane to home tanks), have the means to pump OUT the propane, so I would check with them first.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:06 PM   #7
yep propane installer shops can pump them out... had to change valves on my tank once... no biggy.
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:30 AM   #8
I'd try some of that flexseal stuff you see advertised on tv. Wouldn't hurt to try.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #9
You want to glue a propane leak, how scary.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
That tank has high pressure so anything applied will be blown off.

The indicator has a seal and should be servicable.

Propane dealers hsve pumps for transfering fuel and it is common.

So either cook everything in mh and consume it or call a dealer to seek repair.

It may be less hassle for you to pay the dealer to pump out tank replace seal and test then fill than for you to replace seal and hope.

Replacement also option if old tank.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:10 AM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I think I will go North for a camping trip and let my furnace use it up then come home.

One more question; The gas station attendant mentioned I need to have my tank re-certify (something like every ten years, I don't remember). What does that involve? does it mean if I don't get the tank recertify, they will not fill my tank anymore?
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #12
I believe your tank is manufactured by Manchester Tank. I would check with them and see what they say. Back in 2002 I had a coach with a 40 gallon tank that I sanded and then painted. While I was admiring the beautiful paint job I did I saw a small bubble form at one of the welded seams. I contacted Manchester Tanks and they told me at that time the tanks were guaranteed for life. A truck arrived at the house a short time later, they crated the tank and took it back, fixed the weld, and sandblasted and paint the tank all over. It looked brand new when they were done with it.

Just a thought, and it couldn't hurt, right?
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #13
Taking the motorhome for a camping trip sounds like the best scenario. We had a leak in the tank of our 2001 motorhome. We contacted several dealers to potentially pump out the propane. Unfortunately they need a liquid port to pump everything out, or transfer it in a gas form to other tanks.

Since our tank didn't have a liquid port and it was nearly full it would have taken a number of tanks to hold the gas. We ended up having to take the motorhome to a remote empty field, hooking on several lengths of fill hose and let it slowly drain off.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I recently went all electric in my new motor home and removed the full 30 gallon tank. I had the same dilemma....what to do with the propane because the tank was soooo heavy. I called the local propane dealers and one said they could it out at their southern facility 90 miles away.....no good. I called another store and they said, I would just let it vent or buy one of those cheap grass burners or a turkey deep fryer burner and just let the propane burn off. Luckily, someone bought the tank with the propane still in it ($90.00 of propane).

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote