Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Everyone is different. Personally, I can't imagine full timing in anything smaller than a 38-40 ft motor home. I'm not even sure I could travel comfortably in a 25 foot class B.
I agree. Every once in a while you need to have a little space. We spend 6 months a year in our 38'. It is just about right. I would like to have a Allegro Bus but the extra length would cause us to have to change travel styles. I have had a class C and a 36' Gasser our DP has been the most comfortable so far. And it is big enough not to get pushed around by the weather.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #16

We have a 45' for three of us but if were just two, I would want to be around 40'. Are you sure you want to buy new and live through the poor initial quality growing pains - I did it but won't again.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New vs gently used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
We have a 45' for three of us but if were just two, I would want to be around 40'. Are you sure you want to buy new and live through the poor initial quality growing pains - I did it but won't again.
I know a lot more now than I did when we bought our present one. I totally had blinders on and it was Love at First Site.

I think about a new unit not because there will be no problems but because I would be able to take care of it from day one. Probably not the right thought process.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #18

My opinion is 42,40,38 not much difference if you are the type person that wants to travel small roads and hit flea markets and yard sales then it would be the sprinter but to full time in it might be tough. If I was going to full time it would have to be 40-42-45 we only use our 40ft a week or so at the time. Sorry no help this is a subject only you can answer, if you were somewhere and it rained for a week would you go crazy in a sprinter or read a book and chill.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #19

I find the Mercedes too narrow and confining although the chassis and engine are attractive. We were faced with a similar dilemma and chose a 35' fifth wheel. We found the Lifestyle brand which is one of a few with full length slide and higher end features than the typical trailer. So we got class A quality in a fifth wheel. We really don't notice much difference between the 35' and 40'. Mostly closet space and slightly larger living room. We're very happy - pulling and parking is easy although I don't know how it would be coming from a motorhome. I like the flexibility of a separate truck and the quality of the trailer is great.

2016 Lifestyle 35' fifth wheel
2016 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 1 ton
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #20

We bought a 14 Fleetwood excursion 35b a year ago we a
Had a bounder 35e . we really wanted to go smaller my wife loved the Mercedes based motorhomes but I could not figure out how to make it work for the style of camping we do.we dry camp or boondock 90% of the time and they just don't have enough water capacity, battery's. Just my opinion
BOONYBRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #21
Community Moderator

What is the right size ???

I think it makes the most sense to wait until retirement, and full time in the rig you currently own for 3-6months and then reevaluate the decision. Think you will find that you NEED the space when carrying EVERYTHING you own in the world with you. Finding parking spots big enough will not be that much of an issue compared to feeling like you are "doing without" so much stuff you wanted to take but didn't have the room.

Remember......full time living is very different from being on "vacation"
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a friend who purchased a Sprinter. He really likes it. They use if for one or two week trips. When you ask him he says it works fine and always starts talking about the fuel economy, never about the comfort.

Tags
full time