Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #1

What is the story with Dash AC ?

Hi N0oby here, still shopping it out and I see alot of "Dash does not blow cold" in descriptions .It seems systemic, across the board make years price Doesn't really matter. Is there something I need to understand ? Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Not really sure what you mean. Most folks use the dash air conditioning as much as possible to keep from running the generator to run the overhead air conditioners.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #3

If this is very common I can think of a possible reason. The lubrication for the AC seals/etc is in the PAG oil. Like some other things in our MH's we need to use the AC to keep everything lubed. I'm pretty sure I've seen in car manuals instructions to run the AC periodically to keep the seals lubed.
p.s. Thanks for reminding me that I have to change out the compressor on our MH in the spring. Bummer
Old 10-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fairly simple. A class- A RV with a big windshield and large interior it not easy to heat up or cool down. Also the R-134 is not what R-12 was. We had a 1977 Dodge 23' RV and the dash air would put out snow flakes when the humidity was high enough.

When traveling the dash system can usually keep the front area comfortable (hat/cold) If you head out west into the desert areas or deep south in the summer that's another story. Most who do a lot of traveling in those areas will usually run their genny and the coach AC unit(s) when necessary.

TeJay
Old 10-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

Most mh's are not driven that much, way less than most people drive their cars. Thus, the AC system is not run that often to keep everything lubed and working properly. Even then, it will be difficult for the dash AC by itself to cool a 30+ ft mh in hot weather. Some run the gen and the house AC. Some hang curtains directly behind the two front seats to reduce the amount of area the dash AC has to cool.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We are currently driving to California from upstate New York, in New Mexico right now.
The dash a/c has worked fine for us so far .
I'll report back when we reach Joshua Tree....
Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use my dash A/C all the time. Went to Vegas a few weeks ago and it worked so well we had the fan on low, and none of the vents were pointing as us. Heater, that does not heat so well.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #8

So if a private seller says "It doesn't blow cold" may mean something different ( it's toast)than a dealer saying it ( I'm unfamiliar with the unit).
Old 10-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
About a year after we bought our Class A the dash air quit working. The compressor just wasn't kicking in. I added 1 can of refrigerant and it took right off and is still working great for driver & passenger. If it does get hot out, since we travel with crated dogs we have to run gen & roof AC to keep them cool. I suspect it may be the same thing if there are passengers.

Some people don't use their dash AC at and run generator and roof AC all the time.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #10

On a previous MH my dash air went out at about 3 yrs old and 7K miles.....took it to a Ford dealer for a fix and the compressor seal was bad...

The service tech at the dealership, which works on many Ford MH's, told me he sees an inordinate number of MH's with bad dash a/c.......Compressor usually bad......He told me it is because they sit for too long between uses....He advised to use the a/c frequently, even if cool out......Better for the compressor.....
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Sounds like the A/C is not working

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
(it may also depend upon the Chassis. On the Ford forum, their is a blog where the Ford compressors have been a problem and need to be replaced)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #13

I was told that it was a combination of things: long distance for the freon to travel from DP engine to the front; lots and lots of cubic feet to cool, compared to a car or SUV, and sitting for long periods of time.

Hanging a sheet or curtain fabric behind the front seats can increase your comfort by a bunch. It still isn't recirc, but it concentrates the cool air quite a bit.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Think about this... your dash air is likely designed for someting between a pick up and a car......

Now: how much cubic feet of air in the passenger compartment/cockpit of a Pick up or a car.

how much in a Class A Motor home?

It does not stand a chance on a hot day.

Plus you are sitting in a greenhouse. IT can be 40 degrees outside and I'm still hot if I'm driving south.

Tags
dash