Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #29
Having ridden (and survived) motorcycles for 50 years, I long ago learned to ALWAYS constantly scan the road ahead for debris and potential "Fall-off" items. The worst thing I see on a regular basis is truck recaps sitting in travel lanes. I have had to swerve a few times to miss those killers, and that's no fun on a Class A with a toad.

Interstates in hot weather require extra caution.

2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #30
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having worked for the WA DOT for 30 years and on the side of the freeways for a part of that I'm not amazed at ANYTHING found anymore!
Found lots of baggies and bottles of yellow liquid, never checked the contents though!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #31
Tiffin Owners Club
On the first trip in our 2007MH we stopped at an RV park in VA near Gettysburg. It was late summer and they were nearly full. They put us out in a rustic area on a circle with each RV headed into the circle with a makeshift trail around the inner circle which led to an exit. Each site had an old MH brake drum for a fire pit. By now you have probably guessed what's coming. As I was leaving the next morning with my toad hooked up I found it difficult to maneuver the turn onto the inner circle and then heard a big thump as the coach came to an abrupt stop. I figured I had found my fire pit and thought I might put the coach in reverse just enough to relieve the pressure so I could turn away from it. Some helpful onlookers frantically waived me to a stop. I got out to check the damage and found the rear dual wheels had pushed the brake drum into the soft earth and wedged it between my exhaust extension and the tire. With help of the previously mentioned onlookers we dug out under the drum and I was able to depart only about 20 minutes late. Later I found the exhaust extension was a little loose but was able to tighten it with the set screw. When setting up at the next park as I went into the basement compartment I was surprised to find a hole in the fiberglass bottom which had been made by the exhaust hangar when it was pushed forward by the brake drum.
2007 Tiffin Allegro Bay 35 TSB, Vortec 8.1, Workhorse W25.5 Tru center steering control. Toad: 2011 Hyundai Accent, Blue ox tow bar RVI brake
benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
I think these folks won. They ran over a Christmas Elf.

Jim and Barb's RV Adventure: Terror at 6,600 Feet!
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #33

My entire family got the greatest laugh from the elf.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Good things come to those that wait.
jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #34
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
there we were going down 296 loop out of Richmond va. Ahead I saw something on the road in my lane. what the hell is that, where can I go, can't move over to the right the a big rig there, or crap there are two cars in the left lane next to my trailer. It looks blue it's getting closer. if I stay where I am at I will go over it with my left side tires.

I put on my left turn signal and let the air horns loose. I edged over to the left lane to get my tires about one foot in the next lane to the left. We were almost on it when I realized it was an eight foot blue fiberglass step ladder laying parallel to the lane.

The two cars saw what was going on and they backed off. As the front of the MH crossed over the ladder my heart was up in the throat. At 65 MPH it only to a second to let the ladder pass under the coach. It seemed like a life time until I saw it clear out the back of trailer on the rear camera view. WE were lucking that day.

Don't know what happened to driver behind me but hope they made ok too.
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #35
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many years ago pulling a tow dolly with heavy traffic all around, I caught a glimpse of something going under the wheels. I think every wheel on the right side ran over what was probably a dog. It was quite a few hours later before I checked for damage. No damage, but nasty stuff all over back of the moho, tow dolly and car. Like to of never got that stuff off.
Jerry and Barbara,
2005 Nat Sea Breeze 1321
2010 Honda CR-V toad
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:48 AM   #36
We were in southern CA on a freeway. A truck in front of us lost his load of furniture and household items. We were towing our TT. I had only a split second to react, I swerved sharply to the right. The truck left front tire hit part of the debris. The trailer however didn't fair as well. In the end it took out the water heater plumbing, the slide out bracket, two tires. And the floor of the TT above the wheels. There was no place to pull over so we couldn't catch the person.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:05 AM   #37
A few years ago we where at a campground in Harpers Ferry WV and notices a large black snake go under the mh. We assumed that it just keep on going. The next day my wife was following me out of the campground in our Honda and noticed the snake fall out from under the mh and I ran over it! I am not a snake person !
mdshedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #38
I've been lucky in my coach and have never hit anything on the road, but in 2010 I had a major crash on my Harley.

Several of us were just outside London Kentucky on the Hal Rodgers parkway. As I entered an intersection on the parkway I caught a glimpse of something in my peripheral vision - to late to do anything but crash.

Seems the owner of a fully restored/modified 1985 Chevrolet Blazer had added a Monster set of tires and wheels and wheel spacers to his vehicle. Upon installation he either didn't tighten the lugs on the spacers or simply left them off.

The tire/wheel decided to leave the vehicle at the intersection. Thankfully it wasn't a second later or the tire would of hit me in the side taking me off of the bike.

I hit the tire nearly dead center flattening my front tire/rim and in what seemed like an eternity I finally stopped by the side of the road.

I don't remember exactly what happened(its amazing what one can do with both eyes closed)But the others with me said I "wrecked all over the road"

Other than Destroying my Ultra the only injuries I had was a right arm with severe muscle and tissue damage. I bent the handle bars into the fairing with my arm .No scrapes/bruises or a scratch for that matter.

The forks on the bike were folded into the frame and the crash bar had road rash on both sides so evidently I laid the bike down on both sides before I got it stopped.

Yes I thanked god everyday That I wasn't hurt that day.
96bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #39
Two different times while driving my MH and pulling a toad I have been trapped in my lane by traffic when confronted by a truck tire carcass before me. Both times I straddled the tire with coach. The first time I had no damage to the MH but severe damage to the toad. A front tire blew out and did about $4,000 worth of damage to the toad. Second time, destroyed my big "Ambassador" flap ($350) and $700 to the toad. I hate tire carcasses on the road!
JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #40
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
I have heard, don't know for a fact, that armadillos (or is it armadilli?) jump straight up when scared (such as when they are run over by a 30000lb MH)

true dat...seen it with my own eyes.
Toni & Leila
2005 Country Coach Inspire 51431
Orting, WA
courtjester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
California interstate....wierdest, because it is suggested that the interstate highway system represents the best of our US road system...everything is weird in California, including the quality of the pavement!
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #42
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am somewhat curious as to why no one said WIFE
i almost ran over mine a time or two, when she stepped out of mirror view

USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote