Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-14-2015, 02:05 AM   #43
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Two times I have had the big orange construction barrel's sucked out of their position on the side of the road, into my lane of traffic by the person in front of me! Both times, not going that fast, not following that close, both times, hit them square on, both times, smashed them under the vehicle! First time, in my MH, broke the front spoiler, and stuck in front of the front axel, could hear it dragging and scrapping under there, but no where to pull over? Finally, at the end of the construction zone, it went back to two lanes, and I pulled over on the shoulder. Trying to get that barrel out was another story, it was smashed, flattened by the dragging and would not come out! I tried backing up, pulling forward, nothing would loosen it up! It decided it was part of the MH now! I finally had to wrap a tow strap I had around it, tie it to a post along side of the road, and back up? It came out! But tore up the front spoiler some more on the way out! A little duct tape, and back on the road! Had to get the front spoiler fixed and repainted, but it could have been worse! The second time was in my semi, out in N. Nevada, on I-80, I saw this construction rock hauler coming at me on the other side of the road, all of a sudden, he turns left, down thru the median, and right out in front of me! Well I saw him coming, and had slowed down, so no foul, I guess? Wrong! He go's tearing off like crazy, speeding to say the least! And as he is pulling away, he is getting very close to the barrels on the side of the road! Sure enough, one of them comes out in the lane in front of me, no where to go, bang, I hit it square on! It goes under the axel, and stick's behind the front tire and the fuel tank! I have skirting on the outside of my truck that is only 10" off the ground! So now I have a barrel that is 2 1/2' to 3' around that I have to get out, not coming out the side, so all I can do is back up! I drive back up over this barrel with the steer tire, and with the help of a couple of construction workers, pulling on it we get it out! Lucky that time, no damage! Just a bent mud flap! If it would have went under the fuel tank, it would have taken off the fuel line for the crossover between the two tanks, 300 gallons of fuel lost, plus the EPA clean up, ohhhhhh! Could have been much worse! I hate those orange barrels! Rail!

Retired, and "Always on Holiday!"
1996 Monaco Windsor 38' "Mona"
guardrail53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:23 AM   #44
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should have never read this thread. It scares the crap outta me. I'll be on my guard more than ever now.

Here in FL we see plenty of truck tire pieces. We call them road gators. On a trip in a car from FL to ME, we had s semi blow a tire right in front of us. Shrapnel flying everywhere. Luckily no major damage. A change of shorts was required tho.

Tom & Barb
Jack and Darby (4 leggers)
06 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #45
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
I am somewhat curious as to why no one said WIFE
i almost ran over mine a time or two, when she stepped out of mirror view
Are YOU brave enough to classify YOUR wife as "the weirdest" ANYTHING, whether run over or not? ...I guess most are not.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One night I'm driving along down a highway through Ohio around 2am. No other vehicles around just open black highway. Suddenly from out of the darkness I see an object coming toward me. As it got closer I realized it was a bicycle wheel rolling straight as an arrow down the middle of the road right toward the center of my bumper. Thank god I was driving our super C with a kodiak front end that had a big steel bumper. I smacked it dead center and sent it sailing flat as a pancake. Wondering how this wheel could have come rolling down the highway with no one in sight, I sped up. Half an hour down the road I came across a car with two bikes on the roof rack and one was missing the front tire.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #47

Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
Reminds me of something I saw a few years ago. A guy hit a deer on the autobahn at 140 MPH. Stopped and couldn't find the deer. Then he opened his hood.
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Deer in the Headlights"
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #48
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Are YOU brave enough to classify YOUR wife as "the weirdest" ANYTHING, whether run over or not? ...I guess most are not.
"weirdest" nope, Loudest yes.
i Laugh now but she almost stepped out when the steps were in and I was moving very slowly to the pump

USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote