Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
What is the weirdest thing you ever ran over in your RV

We were traveling along I-10 in Louisiana in the Atchafalaya basin. A pick up truck pulling a john boat doing at least 70 passed us. The next thing I saw was something skidding across the road. There was no where to go. There was the horrible sound under the RV. Luckily we were at an exit so we pulled off. I looked underneath and the was a boat seat jammed under the cross member. It put a small gash in the bumper but nothing else. It was wedged between the tire and the oil pan. I pulled it out and there were no leaks. Cautiously drove it and there were no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	734.4 KB
ID:	81487  

Ed-Helen pns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Well i would have to say you did what needed to be done at the time, Good Job on how you handled it. As for what we ran over, 1st trip out(2000 Mi trip) on the return run, i ran over a(pop) soda can, no real big deal, right? heard it fly up and rattle under the rig and all. At first i thought we got lucky and nothing happened. Wrong, the DW noticed the entry step was sticking out. Well we can't travel down the highway with this sticking out the side of the rig. Once we pulled over in a safe spot, i crawled under it and seen where the "Soda Can" had flew up and cut the wires to the step. I had to do a temp repair till be stopped for the night. Next morn'in did a much better fix and all is well. I have to say, what you ran over had to be a case of, Oh God, For sure!

Doug & Darlene Morgan RVM96 & Abby Gabby(pooch)
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination"Hickory,NC
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #3

We were driving through Jacksonville , Fl when there was a 40' ladder in my lane. We were driving 55 MPH cars on no the sides of us. I chose to aim the tires at the ladder in lieu of letting it get under the coach and tossed around. Hit it straight on with the wheels (ladder was laying parallel to the coach so it was a long way over), up over and then watched the toad in the mirror go over it. My family was in the rear of the coach sleeping and freaked out at the noise. Absolutely no damage on either vehicle. I spoke with a truck driver and he said he wills have approached the ladder the same way I did.

Absolutely frightening experience.

A couple of weeks later the same thing happened to my wife in her personal vehicle in our hometown of Richmond, VA. Her vehicle didn't take the ladder as well as the coach did.

We now look for ladders on work trucks and move out of their lane!

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Good things come to those that wait.
jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
A fifth wheel leveling leg. Was to close the car in front of us and couldn't miss it. I heard the tire blow.Luckly I was at a rest area exit. Road service sent out a guy with a new tire in an hour. Still out $350.00.
OKrver 2002 HR Ambassador
2003 Dodge Dakota 4X4
2012 Polaris ESP 850 Tour
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
30 miles from home on a 600 mile trip. Ran over what looked like a piece of I beam on the turnpike. Could not avoid it due to a car in the lane beside me. Hit it with the right front wheel. Entire motorhome bounced and heard the I beam slam the underside of the motorhome on its way out the back. Pulled over immediately. When I tried to get out I just about fell on my face because the steps didn't come out. No other visible damage. Limped home and found that the I beam had bent the steps badly and then bounced up and put a dent in the LP tank before hitting the right rear inside tire and flatting it. I bent the steps back, painted the LP tank and aired up the tire. The steps worked, the LP tank didn't leak (or explode) and the tire held air. Once I put on a new pair of Fruit of The Loom's, we were ready for the next trip!
2004 Thor Mandalay 38B
Stump Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Last Fall going north on I-26 in South Carolina almost into North Carolina. There was a "road gator" truck tire tread stretched all the way across my lane with heavy traffic and no where to go. I tried to slow, held on and drove straight across it as it went thump, thump. I looked in the rear mirror and saw it bouncing, right into a car that was tailgating my Jeep toad. He tried to dodge, but it smashed into his passenger door and he was PO'd thinking I had blown a tire. They got beside us and were writing down license numbers until I guess they realized it wasn't mine.

Well I didn't think much about it, but we pulled into the rest area at the state line and found the damage. The gator had pulled the left exhaust pipe all the way to the ground and ripped half my rear mud flap off. Two of us with a cheater bar couldn't bend that 3" pipe back up until I drilled several holes in the back to break the pipe. We tied it up with a chain and bailing wire (the universal fix it tool) and it made it the rest of the trip. Just shows how much power a heavy tire tread at 60 MPH has. Just a few miles up we passed a mini van with his tailpipe hanging, so I guess he had the same encounter.
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
A day trip to Charleston, SC one time on route 17...ran over a baby (real live) alligator....lol
wva3185 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was on a nice two lane in a rural area of central WI. It was dark and raining. I started to slow down when I saw a car well ahead pull off to the right, onto the shoulder. Unfortunately the oncoming car either had its bright lights on, or the headlights were poorly aimed. As I approached the scene, now down to about 40 mph, just as I got alongside the oncoming car (and noticed it had pulled off the road too) I see a big deer, about an 8 point buck I'm guessing, laying in the middle of my lane, trying to get up. I'm speculating that the first car I saw pulling over had hit it, wounded it, and I was now about to run over it - it was literally no more than a couple of feet in front of me before I saw it.

It made a hell of a racket as it passed under our Ford powered gasser. Fortunately I was not pulling a toad at the time. The road had narrow shoulders that fell off into deep ditches. It was a few miles before I could pull over, get out a flashlight, and do a cursory inspection. I couldn't see anything at that time, I was only about 15 minutes from my destination, so I continued on.

The next morning I went outside to do a better inspection. As it was now on our paved storage pad I was able to roll under it too. The lower portion of the front cap was cracked, but you literally had to be under it looking up to see it. There was blood all over the PLASTIC lower radiator tank. I found chunks of bloody venison here and there as I continued my inspection toward the back (including a chunk now well fried and stuck to the exhaust pipe) and a dent in the gas tank - no cracks or leaks.

All in all I got off pretty easy. Never had any "deer incident" related problems with that coach. Never bothered to repair the crack in the lower front cap, or replace the front license plate that was ripped off, except for a small corner of it still under one of the mounting screws. My guess is I also put the poor critter out of his misery.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I was travel north on I-95, north of Jacksonville. I saw a dead alligator on the highway. It was about 5' long. I didn't run over it. In all my FL travels that was the one and only dead alligator I'd seen.

-Tom, W3TLN
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA FMCA 335149 W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R W24, no chassis mods needed 2013 Honda Accord EX-L 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Does close count? North of Atlanta, Ga on Interstate 75 a pickup truck towing a small Home Depot type of trailer with a large engine strapped down passed us doing at least 70 MPH. The trailer looked maxed out, sitting low to the ground and tires squashed looking. He was several hundred feet ahead of us when he went over a rough bridge approach and the trailer rose straight up. I yelled "brace your self" to my wife just as the straps broke and the engine came off the trailer and it started to roll in my lane right in front of me! Pieces of a 396 ci engine started to fly off sailing this way and that way. I was standing on the brakes but 30,000 pounds doesn't stop nearly as quick as you would like when there is a skidding/tumbling engine heading for you.

Just before it hit us the engine took a hard right, crossed the shoulder of the interstate striking a light pole sending the pole crashing down into our lane just behind us! We never got struck by anything and didn't hit a thing. Others weren't so lucky.

The guy in the SUV behind us that hit the light pole told police that he thought we had the large light pole mounted on top of our motorhome and it came off because the first glimpse he had of the pole was it flying right over our toad.

It seems when the trailer landed on the ground after saying goodbye to the engine it flipped over breaking the trailer tongue at the ball hitch and was dragged by one safety chain till he could get stopped.

We came out of that without a scratch! I just glad no one was hurt and i had a clean change of clothing I could get into!
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There were 5 in the right lane, on coming semi in left. I laid on the air horn, 4 escaped. What ever they were dining on, sure made a mess of the Toad. MH OK!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Buzard.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	81560  
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Headed west on I-10 approaching the 610 Loop east of Houston. Sunday afternoon about 1pm, solid traffic in all lanes a few feet apart at best. We're traveling in the center lane pulling our loaded stacker trailer with the flow of traffic at 70mph. Brake lights on the car in front and he's obviously trying to move over but there's no place to go. I apply the brakes as much as I can without getting run over while watching the mirrors. Split second later I see the problem... a car hood laying in the center of my lane.

With no place to go I straddle the hood and hope for the best. Coach clears it but I hear a terrible racket. Pull to the feeder road ASAP and discover the trailer hitch, tongue, and tongue jack had "caught" the hood and rolled it up under the tongue like a lid off a can of spam. In the meantime a good Samaritan rolls up on his bicycle and offers to help. After jacking the trailer up and an hour or so with hammers, pry bars, and anything else we could find we managed to extricate the mess. The coach escaped any damage and the trailer only received some scratches in the tongue area. The hood didn't fare as well.

I attached the "pics or it didn't happen" The fellow that helped was named Nat, like King Cole he told me. I know some of this crowd is old enough to know who that is
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5200510.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	81566   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5200511.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	551.8 KB
ID:	81567  

'98 Signature 42' Classic Suite purchased July 2000
Toads: (4 down) Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy 2500HD 4x4, or Scout Terra
Trailers: 28' HRC Stacker, 24' Look; contents vary per trip
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was headed North on a two lane state highway at apx 65mph, meeting a car, and saw an armadillo in the middle of my lane. I centered the MH over him thinking/hoping he would hunker down and not hit anything. There was a lot of banging along the bottom of the MH as we went over him while I wondered what kind of damage he would inflict on the low Honda toad when he got there. Then in the mirror I saw him exit the driver side rear just before he got to the toad and go bouncing down the highway like an armored basketball until he went into the ditch. Guess that heavy full width mud flap pushed him to the side. I never did find any damage on the bottom of the MH, but he made a heck of a racket bouncing off the bottom several times!
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
Read it either here or on rv.net about some poor guy who hit a turkey in the windshield. It crashed through and he had turkey remains all thoughout his RV.

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote