Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #127

I am sure many of the posts on here are in good fun. I do see quite a few women just sitting there while the men folk do all the work, cause, you know, we are just there to whomp up some vittles.

We are a team. I would prefer doing the backing but DH is not a lot of help with providing any assistance. So he is behind the wheel and I give hand signals. Our biggest problem is he will over steer when backing in. Once we get beyond that it is pretty clear sailing.

Among all the male braggadocio on here, I have picked up some good info, thanks to the poster who shared the 3 in 1 video, very helpful.

I confess, I skipped several pages of helpful comments, but what I haven't seen is the problem in many state parks especially, are uneven lots. To get to the point on some lots where I don't have to get out the yellow pads for the tires because they are off the ground when we set the leveler, we are sometimes a considerable distance from the utility hook ups. I wish all sites were just pull up, turn the wheels and back in.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiheiKen View Post
My wife is legally blind so she stays in the coach. I could use her as a traffic cone but I let her life insurance lapse.

That’s funny, back up till you hear her scream or till the screaming stops.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #129

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I back myself in. 99% of the time in one shot. Just go slow and steady.

What surprises me is the amount of people who can not back up small trailers, 15 to 18 feet. One guy even ended up facing the wrong direction- not sure how he managed that feat.

The ones that did it well and in one shot were those with big 5ers or the big class A's.
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #130

Arrow Plus EMERGENCY stop signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
We've been at a campsite for a while and one thing I've noticed is that the highest majority of owners don't seem to use walkie talkies or phones, or anything when getting into their spot. It appears that typically the wife stands outside and watches as the husband tries, and tries again, to get the rig into their spot. Often times a lot of hand waving that ultimately changes to shouting. Many times a total redo with a pull around the campsite and give it another go.

Seems to me that the answer is to communicate between the spotter and driver, and to figure out who is the better spotter and who is the better driver. My wife and I figured out after our first trip that she is the best at driving into our spot and I am better at giving directions, than taking them. We use walkie talkies and I give direction. We also share the drive time between the tow of us but when we get to our campground, she pulls us in.

It may be that I was brought up as a child from my parents owning a houseboat on the Ohio river and they had a rule, no shouting, give and understand direction, alls good. What says you, do you see the same thing?

My wife and I use radios, and if I can not see her in my mirrors; I stop.
Plus we have an EMERGENCY STOP signal. Since we have a motorhome, "A slap of the hand to the side of the motorhome = EMERGENCY STOP". (One time wife was giving backup directions, looked up and realized that I was about to hit a tree branch; the Emergency Stop signal worked real well.) Once there is an Emergency Stop signal, then my wife walks to the driver's window and then we discuss the issue and resolve the problem.
Bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #131

bluetooth for truck phone

My wife stands behind the camper with a phone and calls the bluetooth-connected phone in the truck. She is a great director of directions backing in (30' travel trailer), and I am somewhat competent backing the truck and rv.
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #132

Too Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiheiKen View Post
My wife is legally blind so she stays in the coach. I could use her as a traffic cone but I let her life insurance lapse.
You're killing me. That's funny, I don't care who you are!!
GoBama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #133

SENA HEADSET works great and frees up BOTH hands!

I'd never rely on a cellphone due to inadequate coverages; not a guarantee you'll be able to use them.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #134

We both walk the site, decide where we want the back end and door to be. We use walkie talkies, along with directional voice tips. Slight or
Sharp left, left, more, less etc. I also give distances, 10 ft, 6 ft, under 3 ft, easy and stop. We practice “if you can’t see/hear me STOP.” One final rule, campers are a friendly and helpful bunch, husband will only listen to his wife’s directions.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
What surprises me is the amount of people who can not back up small trailers, 15 to 18 feet. One guy even ended up facing the wrong direction- not sure how he managed that feat.

The ones that did it well and in one shot were those with big 5ers or the big class A's.
The longer the trailer, the easier to back. Try backing a jet ski trailer sometime.
GoBama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #136
JVH

Send a message via ICQ to JVH Send a message via AIM to JVH Send a message via Yahoo to JVH Send a message via Skype™ to JVH
There are lots of truckers on the road that handle backing in rigs much bigger than mine. So I figured it was a skill I could learn.
However if I have a helper, I have them stand where I can see them in one of my mirrors, and I turn up the volume on my backup camera.
Their only job is to shout if I am about to hit something I can't see.
I will then stop and go inspect the issue.
I typically back in my 40' coach with a 12' motorcycle trailer attached.
YMMV (your mileage may vary).
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #137

I use my arms and hands to show my hubby how much room is left. Arms wide open, he's still got about 5'. I bring my arms/hands in closer as needed. I do this when he's backing in, and when he is driving up on the leveling blocks. Sometimes I use my fingers to show he has an itsy bitsy bit to go onto the blocks. Best of luck to you : )
craige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #138

What is your method for parking your rig

DW and I had been camping in a Truck/Camper rig for about ten years. When we bought our first (and current) Class A DW decided she wanted to be able to drive if needed and so signed herself up for a RV driving class. I expected to be firmly left at the camp while the instructors took her out but was just as firmly told I should come along.
The course was a two day, 4 hours each day, really neat experience.
Now I drive most of the time but she parks the rig all the time.
I won't give away all the instructors secrets, but will say the method includes no voice commands, is a method I have never seen another rigs use, and works like magic.
The training course cost about $400 and the price was worth it if just for the enjoyment of watching other campers watch her back the rig into the narrowest of slots just as easily as putting on a sock.
Fdelmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #139

It seems that all have a system and if it works for them , great. My biggest concern is reminding the wife to look up only because we have had a fifth wheel that was taller than our current motorhome and in most state parks trees can be an issue and remember it's OK to get out and look around..... and if all fails a do over isn't the end of the world compared to potential damage. My wife and I have always go by what we learned in boating and that is no yelling, it doesn't help and will only make one person feel bad and as they say "If momma ain't happy no one is happy" !!!!!!
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdelmonte View Post
DW and I had been camping in a Truck/Camper rig for about ten years. When we bought our first (and current) Class A DW decided she wanted to be able to drive if needed and so signed herself up for a RV driving class. I expected to be firmly left at the camp while the instructors took her out but was just as firmly told I should come along.
The course was a two day, 4 hours each day, really neat experience.
Now I drive most of the time but she parks the rig all the time.
I won't give away all the instructors secrets, but will say the method includes no voice commands, is a method I have never seen another rigs use, and works like magic.
The training course cost about $400 and the price was worth it if just for the enjoyment of watching other campers watch her back the rig into the narrowest of slots just as easily as putting on a sock.
Well, you're no help.
What could possibly be a secret?
Tell us what you learned. We are all here to learn...