RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2019, 09:49 PM   #141

I turn backup cam on and speaker volumes up. Wife sees the spot I marked and looks at cam and tells me.

Ga.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Well, you're no help.
What could possibly be a secret?
Tell us what you learned. We are all here to learn...
F4Gary,
Save your breath, or...er...your fingering..or however you input your response to a thread. Fdelmonte has been a member since 2017 and this is his only post. I doubt he will even read your request, much less give an informative response.

Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #143

Newmar Owners Club
Back when we had a Tiffin gas MH we used the camera video and audio for parking. This does not work with the diesel MH. I cannot hear what she is saying. We have walkie/talkies, but we have been using hand signals to get where I want to park it. I watch her in the drivers side mirror. If she disappears I know she is looking at the other side and I stop until I see her either in the mirror or camera signaling me.

Before I start backing it in I tell my wife where I want to be at when I stop. I then may get in and out a few times to confirm this is where I want to park. I have to check on the slide location, satellite location, utility connections, etc. for the best spot. I guess I am also a little OCD that I want the MH square/straight with the parking spot.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #144

One powerful secret

We’ve owned the same 30 ft gas MH since 2012, and park it in a very tight back yard in FL in winter. Just this year, I finally learned this secret. I position a helper about 20 ft behind the RV aligned with the passenger side. We set up a video call between our iPhones, and helper points the camera down the side and keeps distance and alignment while I back up watching both backup camera and remote view. Even with years of walking, looking, plotting, scheming, this is the first time for no mistakes, dents, confusion, questions, panic stops, or “Iggles” to avoid/realign.
Jennessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:13 PM   #145
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Been interesting reading, might as well add my story.

Drove trucks all my working career, figured how to backup long time ago.

My Class C was 30' 8" I never remembering her getting out to guide me.

Bought the Bounder and I think it is 35' 5" more or less. "It is so big, can you drive it?" "Yes dear, I sure I can."

First couple of times parking in the storage barn or site she is out helping on phone, "Turn left, no the other way." She did have the Stop command down good.

After a couple of times of this we talked about our lack of system. She was trying to steer me rather than tell me where the rear end needed to go. Then I discovered that she thinks if going in reverse and needs to move the rear to the left, she thought I had to turn the wheel to the right.

I tried to get her to visualize our driveway, were are on a dead end street so always going to back to the right. I asked her which way she turned the wheel. "I don't know I just do it, Well I guess to the left."

Now that I understand the problem I tell her just tell me which way to to move the rear. Next time "Go right, no the other way, STOP." Turns out she was turning around, in her mind. Finally we agreed on driver side, passenger side.

Maybe in the next 43 years we will get it down.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #146

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Avoiding that dreaded "CRUNCH" at home

I posted this a while back, it won't help at campgrounds, but may help someone who has a challenging back-in at home. This allows me to get the motorhome exactly where it needs to be. Because of the way our driveway is, I have to drive up a hill, then curl the motorhome in a sharp "S" pattern.
I also have the marks on the floor of my pole barn. Haven't heard that dreaded "CRUNCH" yet.

Simple way to back your motorhome into your garage safely
Old 06-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #147

Gerry, I saw that middle picture and I thought it was taken at my driveway!

I also have to back my coach in a "S" curve to land it in its very tight parking spot. I have white reflective dots painted on the curb that lines the driveway and lines painted on the floor where I want the coach tires to be.

Sharon asked me one time "how do you back and park this thing in the same spot every single time?" I showed her the white dots and lines and she said "I never noticed them before. That is so smart, no wonder I married you!"
I didn't know to be proud that she still loves me after 45 years, or shocked that in the past 10 years she never noticed bright white lines painted on the floor!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Gerry, I saw that middle picture and I thought it was taken at my driveway!

I also have to back my coach in a "S" curve to land it in its very tight parking spot. I have white reflective dots painted on the curb that lines the driveway and lines painted on the floor where I want the coach tires to be.

Sharon asked me one time "how do you back and park this thing in the same spot every single time?" I showed her the white dots and lines and she said "I never noticed them before. That is so smart, no wonder I married you!"
I didn't know to be proud that she still loves me after 45 years, or shocked that in the past 10 years she never noticed bright white lines painted on the floor!
No Matter if they see it or not - Some of Us are Just LUCKY ------
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #149

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pete, I had done the same thing at first, marking where the tires should be, however because of the sun basicly disabling my mirrors, I came up with the idea of using the backup camera and the white hose to align with the marks. Although I am very good at backing with mirrors, the camera is easier and more exact.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #150

What is your method for parking your rig

I apologize. My entry was more of a vignette on my DW than a parking process. So here’s our process for backing in, as best can be described in writing, sans visual aids. The following describes backing in to a slot on the “left” side of the road. It works just fine on the right side also. The process is non-verbal, using only one signaling hand, no mirrors, and guiding from the front of the coach.

My Job:
1. Make sure slot is wide, deep, and high enough for us and locating the hook ups.
2. I stand in front of coach and guide with one hand only.
A: Circular motion means turn the wheel the same direction as hand circle.
B: Open hand, push, means back up.
C: Closing fingers slowly means slow down.
D: Fist means stop.
3. I use the hand signals help her do her job.

Her Job:
1. Pull the coach up on the left side of the road, next to the left curb.
2. Position the coach past the slot, with the rear wheels aligned with the right side of the slot.
3. Turn the wheel to full lock to the right, pull forward one foot.
4. Turn the wheel to full lock to the left. Back up.
5. The coach will “pivot” on the rear wheels and will end up with the rear of the coach centered on the parking slot.
6. Center the wheel and back directly into the slot, watching me for minor corrections and fist stop.

Works every time!
Last thoughts:
1. Our coach is a six-wheel gasser. I don’t know if DP’s can pivot on their rear wheels like this.
2. We also use this method when pulling out of the slot if the road is narrow or congested.
3. Interestingly, this “Guide from the front” method may work for campers and 5th wheelers.
4. If you’ve been using this method for the past thirty years please don’t tell me.
5. Happy Camping! Safe Trip!

Frank, Cheryl, Peanut and Cleo
Starship ArrowStar, NCC-1702.
Trailering the Shuttle Craft “Maxwell”.
PS: I don’t know how to add a photo to my settings.
Fdelmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #151

parking

I have been towing a travel trailer for about 10 years but have had trouble maneuvering a tight drive. I finally had a neighbor who is a truck driver, and he showed me the "S Maneuver". It worked like a charm.
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #152

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm the OP and have to say I didn't read all the responses after it went more than 3 pages.

I'm always amazed at topics that I think will be pages and it ends with one page and then a subject like this, holy cow. I had no idea this was a hot topic. My original intent was that I've seen may struggle and assuming they aren't all new to the rig, why haven't they come up with a system.

From what I've read there are a lot of ways to get it parked. I guess I will continue to consider it free entertainment to watch the crazy parking lot antics.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #153

Use Walkie-talkies

We use walkie talkies. Cellphones don't always work. Hand signals are hard to see in bad weather or at night. I drive and the wife directs. She has trouble with right and left so we use "Passenger" and "Driver" for the direction of the back of the motorhome. I look in the mirrors and backup camera for verification, but I'm pretty sure we can do it with my eyes closed. Very helpful when backing into a site at night (which we try to avoid). I try to keep her in the mirrors or in sight at all times. If she says "Passenger" then I grab the top of the wheel and turn it to the passenger side. If she says "Driver" then I grab the top of the wheel and turn it towards the driver side. If you have a trailer then use the bottom of the steering wheel. Sometimes she will say "turn sharp" or "straighten out" or "just a few inches more", etc.. As we get closer to the destination she will say "4 feet to go" or "2 feet to go" or "6 inches to go" or something like that. It is a continual conversation of her giving instructions. I reply from time to time. If I don't hear instructions for a while I stop. That means she may not be pressing the talk button or something else may have happened. I just wait until I hear something. Always go slow, even if others may be watching and you want to hurry up. She is responsible for looking for obstructions for the front and the back. Sometimes we will illuminate the destination area with a flashlight at night. Lazydays has a YouTube RV Driver Confidence Course, which we found very helpful. It has a section on backing up. Hope this helps someone.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:31 AM   #154

Not many single campwrs?

2007 Cherokee WolfPack 33ft fifth wheel.
HDGoose is online now   Reply With Quote