Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2019, 09:12 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a pari of FRS radios. I turn them both on, I have one in the TV, and I give one to the tree or picnic table at the end of my site. They never tell me when to stop backing up though. They are the *most* unhelpful, even when you give them the means to easily communicate with you from that distance. So disappointing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #16

I get out and walk the site, put the dolly where I want it, then I put a cone where I want the left rear bumper corner to be. SWMBO watches out for anything that I have over looked.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:12 PM   #17

We eyeball site as we get ready to back in...........much prefer a back in site to pull thurs

She gets out and positions herself passenger side visible in mirror
I back in using my line of sight via drivers side mirror watching her for 'directional' HAND signal (one hand only........2 HANDS STOP NOW)
She has guided me into some pretty tough/tight sites w/o ANY oops/gosh darns

No frantic waving, shouting, yelling or tantrums and she hasn't had any either
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:31 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have never relied on someone else to help me back in in my 50+ years of owning my own RV. So no drama, no yelling just one back in needed.
Same here.

My thought is if you are going to drive a big vehicle you better know how to do it by yourself.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:26 AM   #19

We decide where we want it, DW takes dog for a walk. If kids around, I ask her to help watch them...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:50 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Apparently some of us have difficulty backing up an RV. I fortunately am not one.

Last summer I watched a guy try to back his 25’ TT into his open storage spot. I marveled at how bad he was and nearly went over to see if he would allow me to do it. The storage parking area is a huge open gravel lot. He consistently jack knifed it. He had no restrictions or obstructions but after numerous tries and what seemed like an hour, he finally got it.

BTW...his woman never left the passenger seat.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:27 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Look at this video. Follow this plus 2 handheld two-way radios

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:31 AM   #22

After 46 years of learning each others ways, we have developed a system that works for us. We love visiting state parks, and national/state forest areas, and lots of times the spots are tight and tree branches seem to be perfectly placed to hit something or another.

After we arrive at the campsite we both get out of the coach and look things over and develop a plan. I back the coach in with her guiding me using the two way radios and the conversation goes something like this:
Sharon: "..way"
Me: "Remember dear to push the button first, then talk"
Sharon: "...am"
Me: "Push the button and hold it in for 2 seconds before you say anything"
Sharon: " IS THIS BETTER?"
Me: "Yes. Keep an eye on that overhead branch for me"
Sharon: "what the heck, doesn't he think I know what I am doing? He is always telling me what to do and not do.Maybe I should just let him do it all by his self and see how he likes it"
Me: "remember NOT to push the button when you are taking to yourself and cussing me out dear"
Sharon: "The heck with this stupid radio! I'm going to point"
Me: "that's a great idea honey. I'll be watching"

She also carries a pole that is the length of the slide outs and makes sure we are far enough away from trees, electric box, water hydrants so the rooms can come out without hitting anything. She will generally stand right where she wants the drivers side rear corner to be and I literally aim for her.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:42 AM   #23

We use walkie talkies. Doesn't eliminate the shouting though.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:42 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
I pull up to the site, do a walk around to check for obstacles, vertical clearances, how far I can back up, how much room I need for pedestal.

DW stays at the back of the spot to identify how far back I need to go. and she knows to stay in view of mirrors. If I can't see her, I stop. We usually nail it first time.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #25

We just eyeball the site as we are approaching it . I then back in and stop when I think I'm in the right position. We then get out and take a look . If I'm not in the right spot , I will just reposition the rig. Most times it is just a matter of moving ahead or back a few feet.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
OK after watching multiple U-Tube videos we were an ultimate failure the first time we tried to back in a 2.5 years ago. So we threw that method out the window along with radios, and phones.

Our method is:
1. We both walk the site before and decide on where the rear wheels go an distance from hookups and back edge. Also take time to look over head for any potential problems.
2. DW is the guide and I drive
3. Use hand signals only. No talking no yelling. She points in the direction she wants my ass end to go and when to stop. If I can't see her in the mirror then I stop till she reappears.
4. In now over 2 and a half years and probably 50 campsites we hit it the first time. On rare occasion we will need to adjust the placement a foot or two but we are in and in safely.
5. Sit back and enjoy the "show" as others scream , yell swear and such" . If others really having a problem we will offer to help.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
From when we had to park a previous motorhome 2” from a wood deck to get a screen room to attach properly we have used radios with the wife driving and me giving directions such as 1/2 left, 1/4 right, full left, 1/2 left to go straight etc. for years and has worked very well. If she quits hearing me on the radio or doesn’t understand then she stops. If she doesn’t respond to my commands I bang on the side and she immediately stops.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
I'm solo, so nobody to yell at or get yelled at by. Before she died, the wife used the "Braille Parking Method" frequently with her car, so I never let her even try on any of the MHs.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote