Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I'm not telling. All I'm going to say is that it involved a new rear ladder, some fiberglass repair, and some new wood and paint for the garage overhang.
Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this wonderful history!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #16

Waaaay back in my tent camping days.. I got a chance at a cheap, very old pull trailer. I brought the 'ol girl home and started working on it. Cleaning it etc. I hooked up the flush tube and tried to pull the black water handle. Wouldn't budge. I pulled the gray water and it opened, but nothing in it. Figured it was safe to work on the black water valve. I started working on the valve to "free" it. Well, you guessed it, it "freed" up.. and broke. The tank was full, and years old. It all came pouring out all over the driveway and down the street. Smelled so bad, neighbors came out of their houses to see what the smell was. Luckily, my DW ran in to the garage and got a bottle of bleach and started pouring it all over. By this time the tank had totally drained. Two bottles of bleach later, and a lot of washing down there was nothing more I could do. The smell permeated the streets for days.

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
Waaaay back in my tent camping days.. I got a chance at a cheap, very old pull trailer. I brought the 'ol girl home and started working on it. Cleaning it etc. I hooked up the flush tube and tried to pull the black water handle. Wouldn't budge. I pulled the gray water and it opened, but nothing in it. Figured it was safe to work on the black water valve. I started working on the valve to "free" it. Well, you guessed it, it "freed" up.. and broke. The tank was full, and years old. It all came pouring out all over the driveway and down the street. Smelled so bad, neighbors came out of their houses to see what the smell was. Luckily, my DW ran in to the garage and got a bottle of bleach and started pouring it all over. By this time the tank had totally drained. Two bottles of bleach later, and a lot of washing down there was nothing more I could do. The smell permeated the streets for days.
You made my day!
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
My most embarrassing confession is this:

I have never attempted to repair anything on any of the 10 recreational vehicles we have owned in 35 years. Not on the boat, either. Not even on any of the tents we owned before that. There, I said it!

Whew, I just saved a ton of money that I was going to spend seeing a psychiatrist about this very issue. Already beginning to feel like a man again.

With that being said, I have been reading all of the great threads on this site for about a year. Who knows, maybe I will attempt something eventually.

Somebody has to pay all of the mechanics and repair technicians, right?

Bruce
It is time you start!

Those of us from the "old radio days" when you had to tune them up often and usually in the field in bad places get to a point where you see many ways for folks to break things.

You first must understand it is broken when you started.

And there are only a few outcomes when you are done.

It will work...

It will be broken a little more...

It will be broken a little less...

But no matter what it was broken before you started so it is not your fault that it is not working when you are done....

Unless you were just tuning it up and blew out the final.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #19

Well guys, I will tell about the slide that snagged the utility service bay door. DW was only doing what I told her to do, bring in the slide. I should have double checked myself & looked at bay doors again, but no must take the trash to the dumpster. Crunch!! Well most of the time we both check all around the slides inside and out! Most of the time! Will I ever learn?? Well we traded for a new Class C and a slide snagged a cabinet door, but was able to stop it before destruction was completed!Will I ever learn??

Ralph
Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Gang,
I could make this really, really long but, I'll give you all the short version. I've been repairing, altering, fabricating, welding, wood working, plastic welding, roof repairing and much, more, ever since I can remember. And, about 99.99% of the time, my work turns out pretty good. I say "pretty" good because, it's not always the way I want or, expected it to turn out. But, if it works when I'm done, I'm happy and, as many of you have stated, I've save a ton of money.

The way I figure it, in the 40 + years of RVing, camping, and traveling, I figure I've save right close to $75,000 in total, if not more. This also includes paint work. I've painted about 5 cars in my life too which, actually turned out outstanding for DIY home garage stuff with all the not-perfect working conditions and, not so perfect tools.

But, what I couldn't fix, to save my life, as you'll see in the pictures, the biggest screw up I'd ever done. Folks, I've driven fire trucks for over 35 years and not had any issues. That includes backing them in some of the tightest emergency conditions possible. And, as stated earlier, have been driving RVs for almost as long. But, what you see in the pictures below, is a direct result of SERIOUS COMPLACENCY!

I'd backed our present RV, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT, into it's barn oh, about 20-30 times prior to this mishap without a scratch. But, this day was different. Based on the fact that, the DW was out watching for me, my head was like a u-joint checking all the mirrors and watching her all at the same time, and, I was moving at a rate of about 1/4 mph.

And then, CRUNCH!! It happened. And, I knew, the micro-second it happened, what I ran into. I'd hit the corner of my eve on the house and, the rain gutter corner that was there too. I was sick, and I hadn't even left the drivers seat yet. When I saw the damage, I was lucky I didn't have any of my guns close by. Because I'd have used one of them on ME!

OK, enough of the story. $8,500 dollars and, 4 weeks later, it was better than new. The company I chose to do the work, lived up to it's reputation as doing PHENOMENAL work. You can't even tell, not only where it was damaged but, the paint matching is SO CLOSE that it takes the exact right sunlight, in the exact right conditions, to even THINK there's a mismatch.

The series of photos show the damage, then the stages of repair, and, the final outcome.

But, this is one time, I couldn't do the repairs and save me some money. Some of you have seen these photos, others have not. The point, do pay attention when backing, no matter HOW MANY TIMES you've been there done that!
Scott

Well, at least you could inspect the air con duct work for proper sealing easily!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Moen warranty

Of course after sitting all winter things that worked before all of a sudden stop.
Logic says its not broken it just needs an adjustment.
But no I went into plumber mode and removed the cartridge from the bathroom sink. Then down to the hardware store to get another. It has a lifetime guaranteed so free replacement - yay!
Replaced the cartridge and same problem - just a trickle flowing.
You guessed it the screen was plugged with debris. Unscrewed it and cleaned it out. Sure enough flowed real nice after that 2 hour adventure.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #22

Boy, talk about embarrassing! I hadn't driven our "new" used Seabreeze 100 yards before I ripped the passenger side mirror off.

The coach had been stored in a locked storage yard. I started it, left the yard and parked on the street across from the yard, then walked back to close and lock the gate. When I returned to the coach, I noticed an Oleander bush just in front of the mirror, but I didn't see the tree trunk that had been trimmed back inside the bush. As I moved forward, the mirror didn't! Next thing I know, it's hanging by the remote control wires.

Luckily, I'm pretty good at fixing stuff.

Here's the problem...

First, I made an aluminum adaptor that resembled the broken mirror mount on one end...

and will accept the broken off stub of the mirror on the other end.

I had to mark the plastic housing so I could make clearance for the adaptor to fit on far enough...

then use a die grinder to make the cut. I also "dimpled" the spud to accept the 4 set screws in the adapter.

A shot of Rustoleum wrinkle-finish black spray paint, and it's almost ready to re-install!

Solder and heat-shrink tubing finished the job.

A year later, it's still good as new!

See? If I hadn't told you, you'd never have known!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
See? If I hadn't told you, you'd never have known!
Good looking repair job.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Good looking repair job.
Thanks!

If you're gonna do something that stupid, I guess you should be forced to fix it yourself. Even with a full CNC machine shop at my disposal, it still took me 4 hours to fix. I wonder what CW would have charged.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
Thanks!

If you're gonna do something that stupid, I guess you should be forced to fix it yourself. Even with a full CNC machine shop at my disposal, it still took me 4 hours to fix. I wonder what CW would have charged.
1-No one at cw IS capable of doing work THAT good!
2- cost would have been $1142.50
3-pvc pipe and silicone caulk that they would have used to fix would already be broken
4-then they would discount a new mirror for you down to $896.25

l bet your glad you did it yourself!!!!!

stupid mistakes are always made by others

I only make unavoidable errors

Well,except for that whole cargo door issue, but I fixed it!!!!!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #26

With my previous RV, I used to take it to the local Traders Village flea market to use their dump station. One day I went during the week when the flea market was closed, so it was deserted. I thought I would save time by going out through the entrance instead of driving all the way over to the exit. To do this, I had to squeeze through some little booths where they take parking money. I thought for sure I had enough room to clear the booths, all the way up until the point where I heard the crunch of the mirrors. There's nothing worse than the sound of a loud crunch when you're driving your RV!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Mine just happen this last weekend. On the way back from the CG my granddaughter and I heard a intermitten banging sound. Checked all the doors (so we thought) all secured. Got home opened the main slide in front of the entertainment system, heard crunch, stopped. Found the lower outer door was not secured (hidden by the closed slide) and the slide ripped it off. Bent the hinges, ripped the screws out of the cabinet frame, door intact. On to the next project... :(
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #28

OMG ... guess most of us are guilty of ....
I had been driving buses during my 25 years in the Navy and never had any probs/accidents/dents at all. Seems I was a natural. I even got an award for my safety. BUT ..

I finally buy a new 2015 class a mh (my dream come true) and on the first day I pull into a gas station to fuel up and top off and lo and behold while turning the corner I damaged three storage compartment doors on the cement around the pumps. SOB!! Talk about a downer. SOB!!! Dang it!! I could have fixed it myself but what the hey. That's what insurance is for, right? I mean I have other things to do. Lol, $11k worth for the repair and its still in the shop two months later. :(

Tags
motorhome, repair