Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
OMG ... guess most of us are guilty of ....
I had been driving buses during my 25 years in the Navy and never had any probs/accidents/dents at all. Seems I was a natural. I even got an award for my safety. BUT ..

I finally buy a new 2015 class a mh (my dream come true) and on the first day I pull into a gas station to fuel up and top off and lo and behold while turning the corner I damaged three storage compartment doors on the cement around the pumps. SOB!! Talk about a downer. SOB!!! Dang it!! I could have fixed it myself but what the hey. That's what insurance is for, right? I mean I have other things to do. Lol, $11k worth for the repair and its still in the shop two months later. :(
OUCH!! I feel for you. I bought a new boat a few years back, and literally the first time I took it on the water, I accidentally ran it into a bridge!! So I feel your pain...

RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
My most moment is fixed now. TG it was minor damage, filled the torn out frame holes with tooth picks and some glue. Straighten the hinges, only small scratched where hinges ripped out TYG...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1428593133.293652.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	90970Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1428593150.142400.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	90971

"Sea's the Moment" Life is Short

T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #31
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post
My most moment is fixed now. TG it was minor damage, filled the torn out frame holes with tooth picks and some glue. Straighten the hinges, only small scratched where hinges ripped out TYG...

"Sea's the Moment" Life is Short
It seems I forgot doing that trick last summer, I had to use toothpicks also but had to replace the hinges as well. Good news was the exact hinges were available at Menard's so I'd have to guess they would be at Lowe's, Home depot and other large hardware type stores.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To find mine just search for a thread called oops! Those stickers telling you to make sure the drivers chair is forward prior to operating the slide are there for a reason. Don't have any pictures of my repair to the damaged fake wood trim, but lets just say it's far from perfect. Live and learn.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Well I had just brought my "New to Me" motorhome to our storage site and was checking it over. The screw on the drivers slide window lock was loose.
Easy fix! Just get out the screwdriver and tighten it up. RIGHT?
No , it was loose for a reason. When I tightened it , the screw split and shattered the window pane into 10,000 pieces.
Well it's now 4 weeks later and I finally got the window replaced and brought my motorhome back home from the shop. Looks great except they put a new lock on and behold it is loose since the screws are not tightened down.
NO, I may be stupid but not THAT stupid.
Just hope that the glue holds the lock to the frame.
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #34

Well .. knock on wood ... so far no problems with bumps or bruises driving ... But...
When setting up our brake controller for the trailer, I found the wiring in the back of 'bus' had been redone by the PO (not certain why) but the 7 pin connector had to be totally redone ... now electrical stuff .... not my thing at all ... but with the help of good wiring diagrams was able to find all the original wiring for the hook up .... even the spare wire that ran front to back for the controller. After taking apart the 7 pin connector and setting it up correctly as per the drawings .... I reassembled. And it was all back to the original wiring for lights etc. Damn, that wasn't so bad. Until of course when I plugged in the trailer the day we're leaving and Boom .... blew the fuses for the brake lights/turn signals ... soooo ... after replacing the fuses, got out the ole test light and discovered when assembling the connector, I had clocked it 1/4 turn out of alignment ... duh !!!! luckily with a quick fix we were able to get things working as they should ......... so embarrassing ... as you all have probably experienced, you have lots of helpers come hook up time ...........

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I thought this thread was about flubbed repairs? Seems like a lot of stories are about accidental damage... man I could fill a book on that subject!

But on the topic of repairs, my worst one was the leveling jacks. The coach in my signature is pretty new, and auto leveling mode never quite got the coach level enough, and manually leveling the coach using the jack pad level indicator lights wasn't much better. I was bound and determined to fix it so that level is truly level.

The level sensor is in the control module mounted near the ceiling of one of the compartments. A bit of an uncomfortable contortion, but reachable. It's screwed to piece of angle stock that is screwed to the compartment wall. I have the bright idea to use a couple more pieces of angle and fabricate a complex mechanism that lets me adjust the position on each axis. After spending way too much time building that, and way too much time in a weird position installing it and trying to fine adjust the position, I realize that I'm not improving the situation, just making it worse.

I give up and try again later. After several iterations of frustration and giving up, I realize I was better off before the whole thing started. So back to the contortions to return to the stock configuration and I toss out my contraption in disgust.

Many of you are probably already laughing at me, because you know what you're doing. But this is my first coach, so I didn't know any better.

Well, shortly after giving up, I find and download a service manual for the jack controller. Seems that once you manually level the coach the way you want it, there's a secret magic button press sequence that automatically recalibrate the controller to remember that level position. No mechanical adjustments required!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My most embarrassing repair was when we pulled out on a trip and forgot to unplug the 50A power cord from the house! About a mile down the road this pickup speeds around me and then stopped right in front of me! It was my neighbor across the street trying to let me know that my power cord was trailing behind me! We were pulling the toad and the cord had gotten under the toad's wheel, totally destroying it!

That goof-up cost me almost $300!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Mine was replacing the 18 year old dash AC compressor because the clutch had failed.

Replaced the AC air dryer next to the engine, vacuumed the system, refilled the refrigerant, and all was good for awhile.

Then it stopped cooling again. Yep, I found a second air dryer mounted in the bedroom cabinets should have been replaced.

Dryers cost about $25. 134A costs nearly that per pound. Happily the labor was free, but not cheap!

So two dryers later and another 6 lbs of 134A and all is well.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:17 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is your most embarrassing motorhome repair flub?

Early in my DP ownership, I decided to clean up the corrosion in my house battery compartment. I found what looked like a terminal ring on one of the battery posts. It had a wire that led to my OE Xantrex inverter/charger. The "terminal ring" was badly corroded and half eaten away, so I cut the wire and replaced the terminal ring with a new one. As soon as I reconnected it to the same battery post, there was a loud pop, and my inverter/charger began billowing tons of smoke.

I later discovered that the "terminal ring" was not a terminal ring at al - it was a battery temp sensor for the inverter/charger.. When I connected the terminal ring to the positive battery post, it blew up my Xantrex.

There was a silver lining to this, I used my screw-up as an excuse to upgrade to a Magnum PSW inverter/charger. The screw-up did cost me $2K in the long run however....

I have since added a Pro-Fill battery watering system. No more corrosion problems, so no more worries!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #39

Did you add a label to that device?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
To find mine just search for a thread called oops! Those stickers telling you to make sure the drivers chair is forward prior to operating the slide are there for a reason. Don't have any pictures of my repair to the damaged fake wood trim, but lets just say it's far from perfect. Live and learn.
I did the same thing. I was pulling the slide in and heard the hydraulic pump start to strain so stopped and thought what's up. I take a look around and the back of the drivers seat is pushed over and I start getting sick. Luckily it just made a cut in the leather on the seat back.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:43 AM   #41

National RV Owners Club
I think mine was 2 weeks ago. Rig wouldn't start after several days of holidaying for Easter. Of course it was the time I forgot to bring my meter. But I tried jump starting, tapping on the starter solenoid in case it was stuck, but no luck. Called AAA. Guy came in about an hour. Looked it over, gave the cables a quick shake and low my neg cable came right off the battery post. Boy did I feel stupid.

It still fails to explain certain issues.

1. why did it start and run all the way to my destination and all the other times I went to start it up in the days leading up to my trip.
2. how did the cable get that loose after being there for 4 years?
3. how could I have failed to notice that the cable was that loose even with me connecting jumper cables to the neg. post?
4. how did the battery get so flat? Even if it was loose on the post, once the rig was started current would have come from the alternator. I was also on full hookups for the week I was gone.

Oh well glad it was simple in the end but hated having to face up to the guy that I had missed one of the most basic possible problems.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
It still fails to explain certain issues.
1. Sheer dumb luck
2. Stuff happens
3. I guess you weren't paying attention
4. It came loose while driving the last leg, you ran on alternator after that, and being loose it didn't charge while you were parked for that week?

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, repair