Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

What kind of brand/model of Volt ohm meter?

Gents,
I do about 99.999% of my own work and, have been for a few decades. I carry a multimeter in all my vehicles, motorcycle, boat and, one at home. The last one I picked up was Greenlee and, while it's a very dependable, accurate, compact little unit, I'm not a fan of permanently attached leads. I don't have to be able to check all the intricate circuits of the Space Shuttle or, see if the local Dam is putting out enough megawatts, I just want a good, well-rounded Volt Ohm meter.

I know this thread may be a bit out of place but, I also know that many of you use one on a fairly repetitive basis. I've checked Amazon, Ebay, Home Depot, Lowes, and, Auto Zone and Napa. Most of those sources have "pretty" good ones and of course, they have the really cheap ones and, some that are way over my head in terms of not only price but, what they're capable of checking too.

So, I'm thinking a good one for an average DIY guy like me would be in the neighborhood of, oh say, around $30-$50 or so. There are some that have very few positions on the dial and, the tool simply picks what it needs to analyze what you're telling it to. And then, there's the ones that have many positions for checking many ranges of each type of test. Not sure if either is better or not.

So, what say all you electrical gurus out there in test-land??? Got any preferences?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #2

A Fluke is probably one of the better meters and the one most used by professionals. A little on the pricey side but will probably be the only meter you will ever have to buy. A Fluke 115 at about $130.00 is out of the range that you quoted but would be a good choice.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
YC1

http://www.amazon.com/Uni-T-Auto-Ran...clamp+on+meter

I just did some research and found this one. If I needed a new one this is the one I would buy. It measures both dc and ac amps with the clamp on which is a nice feature. Having a clamp on amp meter can be very handy. The reviews looked great. The price is outstanding.

I'm a certified Electronic Tech and have probably purchased 75 voltmeters in my career. Don't get me started on my beloved Simpson 260. What a workhorse.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've got an old Fluke digital VOM that I've had for 20 years or more! I also have a couple of the Harbor Freight "freebie" VOM's that I keep as a backup!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

Fluke 87V best meter ever.
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Harbor Freight. Stores everywhere, easy to replace if it dies, and initial cost is low, and the simple digital ones are often given away if you purchase *anything* and have the right coupon. If all of them are made in China, why spend too much money?
Old 08-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #7

To all who've contributed,
I sincerely want to thank you for taking the time to let me know what you think, and or use as a meter, for your own. It's very much appreciated. Yep, I've got a couple of those Harbor Freight freebies and, well, I actually have quite a few Harbor Freight tools and, have not had any issues with any of them. But, 99.99% of them are hard, hand tools with a couple of air powered ones.

Based on how cheap those freebie meters are even when you don't get one free, it just seemed to me that, they're so cheaply made that, I "just" don't think I could trust those readings. No offense to anyone who uses one and, is happy with it. Just for my own piece of mind, I'd like to get one a bit better. And, the price range I quoted before is, well, a sort of guide line but, it's not set in concrete. I can go up if I find one that just blows my skirt up (that's a figure of speech GUYS!!!) .

I like the idea of a clamp on addition to a meter too because there's times when I'd like to see what kind of amperage something is drawing. So, the one that one of you sent that has the clamp on is, at the minute, a top pick. But, I'm not done looking just yet. Again, I surely thank you all for helping me here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #8

The harbor freight meters are almost worth what you pay for them.

For general troubleshooting they are the best thing for outdoors as if you drop it in a place you cannot reach or leave it on the wheel then you have lost little.

They are voltage and continuity indicators meaning they will indicate a voltage or ohms but of the many we have no 2 read the same.

Use the Fluke when it matters.

Regarding clamp on dc meters there are many on the market but not all work very well.

We have one higher end unit rated for dc amps but worthless under 5 or so.

Fluke model 395 reads down to less than an amp but the price is same as model number.

You get what you pay for and since you already have the red ones use those for simple stuff and get a Fluke for the important stuff.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #9

What kind of brand/model of Volt ohm meter?

X2 be careful with clamp On meters most only read ac. The fluke 88 is more of an automotive meter and an acdc clamp is available as an option. Check out there website
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm an amateur. This is the one that I found that seems to do everything that I've needed to do: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...38709784422609

$59.99

AC/DC Clamp Meter Model No. 82369

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-21-2015, 06:33 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Harbor Freight. Stores everywhere, easy to replace if it dies, and initial cost is low, and the simple digital ones are often given away if you purchase *anything* and have the right coupon. If all of them are made in China, why spend too much money?

Those "freebies" are not digital but analog! At least all I have ever seen. I keep a couple of them for spares!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #12

At work we use Exteck meters. Cheaper than a Fluke but a very good DIY meter. I have a model EX330 which sells for about 50 bucks on amazon
Old 08-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurette View Post
A Fluke is probably one of the better meters and the one most used by professionals. A little on the pricey side but will probably be the only meter you will ever have to buy. A Fluke 115 at about $130.00 is out of the range that you quoted but would be a good choice.
X2 for me. You can't do better than a Fluke. They have many models to choose from.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Based on how cheap those freebie meters are even when you don't get one free, it just seemed to me that, they're so cheaply made that, I "just" don't think I could trust those readings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
They are voltage and continuity indicators meaning they will indicate a voltage or ohms but of the many we have no 2 read the same.
I challenge anyone to provide proof beyond a reasonable doubt that a simple V-Ohmmeter like those that HF gives away are inaccurate enough that they cannot be trusted for troubleshooting or other use on an RV. Broken meters don't count for this challenge.

How much meter accuracy is truly necessary for RV electrical? +-1%? Are you gonna say there's a problem with a circuit if a meter reads 123 volts vs 120? 12.86 vs 12.91? Mass producing an inexpensive V-Ohmmeter isn't rocket science, the darn thing doesn't have to land on a comet that is hurtling through space.

And the price is right!