Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

What options do you consider necessary?

We have narrowed our first time RV choice down to either a 26' Class C w/ slide or a Small Class A (ACE, FR3 type). I would appreciate any input or advice anyone can provide concerning any options that you feel I should seriously consider. Areas such as AC size, 30 or 50 amp, stabilizers or any option that I haven't thought of that only an experienced RV'er would consider. The majority of the time it will be only my wife and myself camping. I know many options and accessories are personal choices but the more feedback I get the better informed decision I can make (I don't want to rely on salespeople). This forum has a lot of knowledge and differing viewpoints that only comes through personal experience, which I don not have. Thanking all in advance for taking the time to respond.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #2

I would go with a 15K BTU air for sure. 50A because 30A gets annoying sometimes.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the 15K air conditioner. I would not have any kind of RV without slide toppers. 50 amp service would be a "must" for me! Be sure you can stand up straight in any room. We made that mistake on our first RV and ended up trading it back in after one night at the campground!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Frankie Z,
You need to determine how you will use the coach. Creature comforts are usually a trade for something else. An example might be a washer dryer. The trade is storage space. There is no right or wrong. Satellite TV or just local off air? If satellite is the choice, antenna on a tripod, on the roof, automatic or manual aiming? Are you going to tow a vehicle. What are the weight restrictions (coach GCWR and hitch limitations)? Will the coach carry all your stuff and you (GVWR). Are you going to tour or stay in one place for months at a time. For touring one would want the best driving chassis, larger engine, overdrive tranny, etc.. For staying in one place one would want the most interior floor space.

So sit back and think about how you'll use the coach. The creature comforts will rise to the top.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #5

Options and options for the options and upgrades for them all....

And everybody has opinions +/- on every option. However.....

Being you are from Eastern PA, I suggest going to the RV Show in Harrisburg next month. This will give you a chance to ponder every option and figure out what you need or dont need.

We are on the simple side. Here is a partial list of what we dont have that we dont need:

Heat pumps, 4 slides (only 2), Electric basement door locks, Keyless entry, ScanGuage (et al), Residential refer, Solar panels, LED lights, Satellite dish, Clear coat, Diamond Shield, Bra, Toad guard, Full width Mud flap, Spare tire, Engine performance chip, Motion sensor lights, Window awnings, Mini-fridge - Freezer, Washer/dryer, Ice maker, Dishwasher, Extra bath, Extend-a-stay, Outdoor recliners, Exhaust brake, Bike rack, A BIRD? (no clue), Rope lights, 2 way radio.

Very best wishes!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Elongated toilet...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #7

Frankie Z, welcome to the forums, I agree with what Gary KD has said, and add one unfortunate comment, if you think you can get it right the first time , I'm sorry, that won't happen.
Each of my 5 previous RV's worked during the stage in my life that I purchased them, but as time passed, each unit started to show it's limitations, size, storage, ease of use. Three years in on this unit and luckily, we've come very close to perfect for us.
Now as far as " C " vs " A " JMHO go with the " A " , the cab space that is not usable when parked in a C is a big disadvantage, and once you've driven a class A with it's raised seating position, for driving and seen the view, you'll be sold. Be aware that many gas class As have Cargo Carrying Capacity issues. But most class C's have this issue too. Always look for the weight certification label on any unit you consider.
I agree with your assessment of RV salespeople, I've had to explain CCC to salesmen, and had one say " Why are you asking all these questions about weight ? You've got a 3/4 ton you can tow anything you want to !"

I walked away. Anytime you don't get the answers you want , be willing to do the same.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #8

Be sure to take an extensive drive on every type of road you will drive. Especially a busy highway with a lot of trucks. Some of the small A's and C's drive terrible but you won't know it with the quick trip around the block that the dealer normally wants to give you.
Take a big pad, pen and camera and look at everything at the Hershey show if you can get there or go to several big dealers. Figure out what options you need and what you can live without.
There is one out there with your name on it. You just have to find it. Good Luck
Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #9

I wood require a rear camera and a TPMS.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Options and options for the options and upgrades for them all....

And everybody has opinions +/- on every option. However.....

Being you are from Eastern PA, I suggest going to the RV Show in Harrisburg next month. This will give you a chance to ponder every option and figure out what you need or dont need.

We are on the simple side. Here is a partial list of what we dont have that we dont need:

Heat pumps, 4 slides (only 2), Electric basement door locks, Keyless entry, ScanGuage (et al), Residential refer, Solar panels, LED lights, Satellite dish, Clear coat, Diamond Shield, Bra, Toad guard, Full width Mud flap, Spare tire, Engine performance chip, Motion sensor lights, Window awnings, Mini-fridge - Freezer, Washer/dryer, Ice maker, Dishwasher, Extra bath, Extend-a-stay, Outdoor recliners, Exhaust brake, Bike rack, A BIRD? (no clue), Rope lights, 2 way radio.

Very best wishes!
I agree with all of the above except the spare tire.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #11

Maybe try renting one for a weekend and see what you wish you had?? Then decide if those options are really needed. Remember maintenance costs and washer/dryers and things like that add weight (mpg effects). I've chosen to replace out hideaway bed couch for a regular couch (it's lighter) and use a blow up mattress instead. They are more comfy than those spring beds anyway.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #12

Starting with a coach big enough to pull a toad comfortably, I would have to have a slide out and some type of leveling system. After owning a DP, I've also fallen in love with the exhaust brake. With it, 90% of the stress on down hill adventures is gone. Max available roof air and a genny to run it (them) on the road would be next....
Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wife does not like a regular RV oven so on our MH, we optioned to a convection/microwave oven and stove top. We omitted a RV oven.
The convection sits above the cook top. Where the RV oven was to be, we had cabinet drawers added. We store all the pots and pans in those drawers.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #14

One of the biggest things I want is the leveling system. We camp in to many areas that the site is not level. There are blocks that the wheels can go on but I have no interest in doing that. Just put down some 2x12s under each jack and level away. I have always had motorhomes with 30 amp service so im a little biased but I have not had any issues with cooling (2 A/Cs) or a need for more power. However I did install a second hotwater heater that is electric so more power may be nice but so far it has been a non issue. My biggest gripe was the Quick showers that the 6 gal hot water heater provides. I installed another under the sink hotwater heater that is 6 gal and electric and no issues with long showers now. Absolutely love it. But this was a DIY job as im sure most motorhome manufactures offer anything like this until you get out of my price range. Also get as much room as you can afford. My wife thanks me everytime we go out for extra room now. She loves the bedroom slide and full size queen mattress. King would be nice but again, I had a budget.