Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
HGC

What Roadside assistance do you use?

We are currently questioning whether we want to renew our Good Sam Roadside Assistance. We would like to get collective opinions on what Roadside Assistance is the best bang for the buck, and which one actually responds in a timely manner. Would love to hear your take on this. Thanks.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #2

I have good Sam. I truly hope to never use my membership. I will not be renewing my good Sam membership.

I plan to use State Farm or AAA or just about anyone else.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #3

we’ve had GS since 1986. very satisfied.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

My Newmar is covered by Ford for two more years. When that expires I’ll go with coverage provided by my Progressive policy.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #5

I have AAA but also towing with insurance and warranty company.

Thing is they all contract to the same breakdown trucks.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

Just recently I had to get my motorhome towed due to a transmission de-rate. I used my State Farm Roadside Assistance and I'll tell you, I can't say enough good about how the whole experience went. It cost $1 per month for the Roadside Assistance and the $2,000 tow cost me nothing!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I’ve been using Coach Net for nine years. They have bailed me out several times. Luckily I’ve never had to be towed. They do a great job.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've had GS since 2000 but plan to switch to FMCA when it comes up for renewal. I would much rather support FMCA than Marcus Lemonis!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
We are currently questioning whether we want to renew our Good Sam Roadside Assistance. We would like to get collective opinions on what Roadside Assistance is the best bang for the buck, and which one actually responds in a timely manner. Would love to hear your take on this. Thanks.

Good sams is just a middle man, if you call service direct it will cost you $100 each time extra.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #10

Have had Good Sam ERS since the mid 1990s - no complaints.
I've maintained my GSERS, in spite of the fact that I've got a temporary CoachNet subscription through Winnebago for year one with the new motorhome. I also believe I've got some sort of Mercedes Benz roadside assistance as well. Hope to not use any of them, but it's good to know you've got primary and backup coverage.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #11

Had good Sam for25 yrs left stranded the last 2 times I needed them .now have coach h net .I hope I dont need them for Awhile. Do a search of good Sam complaints and see what comes up..Good luck with who ever you go with.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #12

Coachnet since 2006. Always been there when I needed them
Jeepster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #13
tcg

I have Coach Net, haven't used it for the RV but I did use it recently for my van.

The transmission stopped working (10 dollar part, right?) so I called for a tow.

They said no problem, they would find a truck and call me back with a time estimate. A couple minutes later they called and said they had a truck and it would be about 45 minutes.

An hour and 15 minutes go by and still no truck. I call dispatch back and they tell me they'll call and find out what the hold up is. A couple minutes later they call back and said the truck had a problem but it would be there shortly.

Thirty minutes later the truck shows up, loads me up and off we go. Coach Net called back to be sure the truck showed up.

I asked the truck driver what they thought about towing for Coach Net. They said it was better than AAA because they get paid before the tow which brings me to the reason it took so long.

There was no delay with the truck, he was ready to go but Coach Net failed to call them back with their credit card info to make the payment. Once the towing company had the payment they dispatched the truck.

The guy showed me the call log on his phone to show when they first called and when they called back with payment.

Was I happy with the towing company they sent? Yup. Was I happy with the dispatch operator who took my call and later checked on me? Yup.

Was I happy that it took so long to arrange the payment? Not too much.

But now that I know how it works I know what questions to ask when arranging for the tow. I renewed because I thought overall they did a good job.

Oh, and that 10 part I was hoping for ended up being $1,900.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #14

I have had All State Motor Club since 92. Have used it several times with no complaints. Covers all my vehicles including motorhome.