Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #1

What size invertor?

I'm wanting to run my TV and Direct TV box while the engine is running without having the run the generator. My KVH in-motion antenna is already running on 12vt power. I'll need to install a invertor to handle the requirements but don't know what size I need. I've checked the specs on BB's site but they don't list the power requirements for the TV. Any ideas? Here is what I'm running:

InsigniaŽ Advanced Series - 32" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV Blu-ray Disc Player Combo

Insignia® Advanced Series - 32" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV Blu-ray Disc Player Combo - NS-LBD32X-10A

and a standard Drect TV box.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
You can buy one of these and measure the power requirements.
Amazon.com: P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor: Electronics
Add everything up all you intend to run at the same time. When you know what you need figure it's 80% of the total output of the inverter. Then look for a Pure Sign Wave Inverter. It should be small enough to afford. Some of these new components don't do well on a Modified Sign Wave power source.

Dick

Old 12-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't see a wattage rating in the spec for your tv, but a LCD tv that size should not exceed a couple hundred watts. Add another 50-60W for the DTV receiver and allow for some extra breathng room and I would guess that 500W ought to be sufficient.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #4

Gary,
I just read through the manual for the TV and it states 130 watts max. I'm thinking a 400 watt invertor should be sufficient for it and the satilite box?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yes. I was adding a bit more extra margin, but 400w should run what you described. However, if you add a surround sound system you could easily add another 100+ watts. There is very little difference in price in that size range of MSW inverter and [within reason] it is better to have too much than not enough! If you go for a pure sine wave inverter, size may make more difference in price.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
Gary,
I just read through the manual for the TV and it states 130 watts max. I'm thinking a 400 watt invertor should be sufficient for it and the satilite box?

I agree with this !!
cheers

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #7

abmarine, my first inverter was for an older portable tv with the vcr and my direct box. The 400 watt would not even bring the tv up. I found a 1000 watt and have had no issues. DW even powers her laptop from the same circuit.

I'm still looking for something to power a drip coffee maker without the genny. The 1000 just screams.

Good luck and Merry Christmas
Terry
tnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #8

I would steer away from a 400 watt inverter as I suspect you will not be happy with the results. The standard DTV receiver (current D-16) draws about 25 watts and the Insignia TV draws about 150. That is about 1/2 of the total stated capacity of the inverter and this is usually not enough. I would recommend a 600+ watt inverter. This will also depend upon how this inverter is wired into the coach. The best possible scenario is that you have a good low gauge (big and fat) wire connected directly between the battery bank and the inverter. The longer the run, the fatter the wire (lower gauge). If you plan to use an existing wire or a cigarette lighter plug you will lose a tremendous amount of power before it ever reaches the inverter. As volts drop, amps drop, inverter capabilities drop. If you could run a #2 gauge wire 20 feet from the batteries to the inverter you might be able to get by with a smaller inverter. If you have to run long and higher gauge you will have to make compensations.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #9

I'll go with a larger inverter just to be safe. I'll also wire it directly to the batteries. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Abnmarine
I went big (750 watts) and put in a power strip in the cabinet just in case I wanted to run something else. Remember the inverter puts off heat and needs to cool so let it breathe (do not close it in a small area with no venting. Also check the voltage output on the 110 plug. My LCD TV took 117 volts to get it to come on. I went through 4 inverters to figure this out. The 3 inverters that did not work ranged from 87 to 109 volts. I also put in a switch to switch from shore/generator power to 12 volt power. Also remember the bigger the inverter the bigger the 12 volt source wire needs to be.
Chris
Old 12-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #11

Thanks for explaining this. I'll look at the TV to see what it initially draws. I would like to wire it up just as you described. I'm not in a hurry as this will be a spring project for me. Any brand invertor that you recommend?
Old 12-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My LCD TV took 117 volts to get it to come on. I went through 4 inverters to figure this out.
The #1 cause of low AC voltage from an inverter is low DC voltage/amperage as it s input. Not only do you need good batteries, you need adequate wiring to supply high DC amperage to the inverter so it can generate the required power. Both voltage and frequency will fall off if the input power is not up to the demand