Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What spare parts should we carry?

Good Evening All,

We are planning on a few longer and further from home trips and I would like to stock some emergency mechanical supplies. (as opposed to emergency food supplies...)

What are the must-have spare parts or supplies that you do not leave home without...hoses, belts, oils, etc...???

I am not at all mechanical and hubby will probably not attempt any complicated repairs, but if we need to try to make some small repairs ourselves, or we break down out in the boonies...it might be advisable to have some items with us.

Please give me a list of what you think I should place in the compartment that I have designated for repair and maintenance "stuff".

BTW, our Baby is a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution LE with a 400 Cat and 6-speed Allison.

Faith

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #2

I probably carry to much stuff but I would say a gallon of rotella for gen and engine ,fuses,light bulbs, Air compressor,coolant,tape,bungie cords, a assortment of tools things you might need for a simple fix. The most important duck tape.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #3

We've traveled almost 100,000 miles in our current motorhome from Alaska to Florida, from Newfoundland to Oregon and just about everywhere in between. Like most RVers we carry some of the more common parts and pieces along "just in case". To this point any time something has failed odds were we didn't have the right part along to fix it.

We started out carrying at least 1 of each type of light bulb used in the coach. To date we've used 2 and then only because we had them in stock. Either could have been purchased at a local store probably for less than the gas it's taken to haul them around. We've stopped along the way visiting the local hardware stores, Home Depots, Lowes, Princess Auto, NAPA stores, etc, etc. and have always been able to find whatever we needed to fix the problem.

Having said that I still carry along a a bunch of stuff mainly because old habits die hard. About the only things that we carry along that we have used enough to justify having are: duct tape, RTV form a gasket (good for window leaks), a quart of engine oil, WD40, and spare batteries for the clocks and remote controls.

Unless you plan on spending 6 months boondocking 100 miles or more from the nearest signs of civilization I would severely limit the amount of space dedicated to spare parts. Everything you'll ever need is available along the way, and you'll only need to buy what you actually use. I still have a couple "spare" air filters and headlights that will probably go to the next owner or or possibly to the junk yard with the coach when it's finally retired.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I picked up a spare parts kit at Spartan. Not much more than the uncommon circuit breakers and relays that aren't easily available.
Also got the actuating arms for the ride height control valves.
I got spare belts and changed them out at about 25.000 miles, kept the used but still good ones for spares.
Carry a couple gallons engine oil, some Dexron for the HWH levelers, some TranSynd and at least one filter of every one on the chassis other than the air dryer. Don't carry any spare hoses although maybe I should look into it since our rig is 9 years old now. Also carry coolant for the gen set as well as spare filters and oil.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We carry a gallon of Rotella 15W40 and a gallon of Transynd for the Allison. Also a gallon of antifreeze. Two spare fuel filters (our rig has two different), a wrench and gallon of diesel to prime them. Lets not discuss prime or don't prime the fuel filter though. Low fluids are a quick and somewhat easy fix that can get you off the highway to somewhere safer.

Some basic stuff like fuses and tools but the rest if we can do it ourselves we pick up on the run.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #6

Well! I carry way to many tools and parts,made up kits for plumbing,(traveling with three girls and being with out a way to clean up is a total disaster),spare belts,an assortment of bolts-nuts-washers, Rope, 4 or 6 mil.plastic fills in for a broken window,duct tape,bungee cords,spare filters for all equipment. Oil and a small can of fuel.
The over the limit items,spare starter,lost one and Cummings was out of stock and freight charges to Alaska ouch.Spare alternator,lost one on the road and again none in stock for the RV. Spare fuel pump and again not in stock. Those items stop you in your tracks and even with road service it turns into a waiting game.
The response from two mechanics was priceless when I pulled them out of the doghouse.
Air-tool fits my persona,but not everyone is of the same mind. That helped keep me sane after leaving the office. Took out allot of frustration on some bolts.

Dick.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I carry stuff for emergency repairs only, e.g. tapes, hose bandages, wire, fuses, tools, etc. And a fuel filter, since that can leave me stranded on the roadside. Other than that, I figure I can buy most anything I need at any auto parts store or truck shop and have it within a day or two at the worst.

Oh - I do carry a spare hard start capacitor for my roof a/c - would hate to be without a/c for even a few hours on a broiling days and that's a common failure.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #8

Spare Black and Grey tank dump valves.

That's it except a general hardware assortment and a gallon of oil.

Steve
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Since I boondock most of the time, I am totally OCD about being able to get out of most common situations without any outside assistance (or spoiling my holiday)

FLUIDS
  • Motor Oil
  • Transmission/HWH Fluid
  • Brake fluid
  • Coolant
  • Distilled Water

PARTS
  • Fuses
  • Filters (ALL)
  • Belts
  • Crimp connectors and terminals
  • Electrical Tape
  • Duct Tape
  • Scotch Tape
  • RTV Silicone
  • Gorrilla Glue
  • Super Glue (Cyanoacrylate)
  • 12V bulbs
  • 110 bulbs
  • 12V Water Pump
  • PEX tubing and connectors
  • Replacement tire

TOOLS
  • Tool box (Full)
  • Big Ass Hammer
  • Digital Volt Meter
  • IR Temperature Meter
  • Cordless Drill
  • Air Hose (75 feet)
  • Air chuck, blow gun
  • 20 ton Bottle Jack
  • 13 ft Collapsible Ladder

Yea, I know...carrying around all that stuff is costing me at least 1 MPG.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
.....I do carry a spare hard start capacitor for my roof a/c - would hate to be without a/c for even a few hours on a broiling days and that's a common failure.
Hmmmmmm...I omitted something.... Thanks Gary!

Where can I get one for a 13.5K Dometic? and do you know the part#?
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Duct tape..if it moves and shouldn't
WD 40 ..if doesn't move and should
If they don't fix it..it's electrical
Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fuses, light bulbs, oil (Engine, Brake fluid, Transmission fluid), antifreeze/coolant, are about the only things you can reasonably do on the road. I also carry "Hard to find" parts like Onan oil filters and Workhorse air filters, (one each)

Tools, of course, Depending on what you are comfortable using I won't list any suggestions or the contents of my box save to say I have things most do not (Air powered impact wrenches.. 3 of 'em)

Electrical tape. Duct Tape.. GOOP Brand adheasive/sealers.

CREDIT CARDS

CASH
Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I always carry a drill to get slides in or jacks up, eternabond tape (duct tape on steroids), and rope. I carry hard to find parts like a spare door handle, a 300 amp fuse, A/C parts, slide bolts. And then there are the basic tools and a socket set, spare fuses and one of each circuit breaker, bungees and tie wraps.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I picked up a spare parts kit at Spartan. Not much more than the uncommon circuit breakers and relays that aren't easily available.
Also got the actuating arms for the ride height control valves.
I got spare belts and changed them out at about 25.000 miles, kept the used but still good ones for spares.
Carry a couple gallons engine oil, some Dexron for the HWH levelers, some TranSynd and at least one filter of every one on the chassis other than the air dryer. Don't carry any spare hoses although maybe I should look into it since our rig is 9 years old now. Also carry coolant for the gen set as well as spare filters and oil.
Guess I should add light bulbs since some seem to be available over the internet only and several assortments of fuses.
I'm also omitting the tools, air tools and " sockets and big open end wrenches, distilled water, sewer hoses, air hoses, 35' 50 amp extension cord, several hundred feet of 20 amp extension cords, etc.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #14

No spare parts, just a small tool box. I have ERS and a car. If i cant fix it with the tools I have I either call my ERS or go get what I need. This has worked for 15 years, 10 of which was full time. IMO, RVers have a tendency to overdo everything. Carry too many tools, too many spare parts, too much preventive maintenance, too much washing and waxing and have too many gadgets, just to name a few. I must admit, I don't boondock a lot out in the toolies

Jim E