Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2017, 07:26 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
One does not need levelers in the 30 ft or shorter class units. Creative parking and a few blocks and/or shovel will do enough to get well within requirements. That cuts cost and weight issues significantly.
Might not NEED them but it sure makes it EASIER to park/camp in the Rain - which it does when you FULLTIME.

AN old F*rt like me sure does not like to play with a shovel or blocks in Bad Weather.

JMHO,

A few floor plans that you might look at - Things if I were alone i'd need if I down sized - Chair to sit in when inside - Shower large enough to use everyday - Separate bed - not too old.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa...torm-35473.htm

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classc...nook-34637.htm

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classc...iser-35797.htm
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Didn't know I would be "elderly" in a few months... but think I 'll just keep wheeling my Dynasty. Getting the motorcycle off the back and ridin' and enjoying this Great Country.

Air level means no jacks to get stuck in the mud.
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
LOL Something that goes with knee socks and plaid Bermuda shorts!!! LOL

IMO it is what you are comfortable with and especially what fits your needs.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
One does not need levelers in the 30 ft or shorter class units. Creative parking and a few blocks and/or shovel will do enough to get well within requirements. That cuts cost and weight issues significantly.
Just what makes a 30 fter easier to level than a 40 fter? Level is level no mater the length. I put a set of levelers on my 30 ft Challenger several years ago because I didn't want to fool with the boards. I wouldn't have a coach without levelers, they don't have to be automatic but they have to be there. I liked the old HWH 4 stick manual system better than the joystick or the ones on my Dolphin. I could level the Challenger quicker with the 4 stick than the Daybreak or this Dolphin, but I like the Dolphin better.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
i simply cannot resist so I gotta add my 2 cents. We are in our late 60s (70 in Sep) and going strong but we know what we want. Same bed, same utensils etc. We want easy and good handling.

Easy says:
-auto levelers
-quick connect sewer and water
-stand up, walk in shower (some will say public showers in campgrounds are okay - for us not so much)
-on board generator (sometimes on the road, dash air just isn't enough)
-built in surge protection
-descent sitting area that doesn't need a great deal of prepping
-maybe a residential refrig

good handling:
-advise 22.5" wheels
-wheel base to length ratio at least 51% (the higher the better)
-able to pull a toad

If you believe I have overstated any of the above try not having them. We pull in and with in 5 minutes we are leveled, hooked up to electric/water/sewer. After 1 more minute, I am inside having a glass of wine or a cold beer. Easy and comfort count.

PS: we spend 8-9 months each year in our coach.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Allaloneami".....I was the first post to your thread and after reading the others, I want to through something out at you. About ten years ago, an informal survey amongst friends and other campers showed that most stopped RVing (became to difficult) at about 70.

Nowadays, I would say the average is about 75. Before anyone says they're 80, I said average. The majority of those had been driving for years and were comfortable with driving an RV.

With that said, I recently had lunch with four retired friends from work. I was the only RVer, but one guy was doing a lot of travelling. He liked to drive, so they started doing cross country trips and hoteling it. He said they picked out a medium quality hotel chain (forgot the brand) and stayed at only their hotels (many brands in the chain). He said they were good quality hotels and the prices/upgrades were reasonable because he stayed so often.

I throw this out as food for thought.

There is always the option of one of those Mercedes Benz Sprinter based class C. They are high quality and from what I read easy to drive.
I have looked a few of them and liked the layout. Decent bed in the back and a useful bathroom. A small kitchen area and a place to sit and relax.
Very livable during a trip to a destination and can be parked in most regular parking lots. Also gets good gas mileage.
If going somewhere long term a hotel or motel can be used at the destination.
Even on the road, you could alternate between your RV and a motel.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #49

If we were looking to downsize (which we are not), I'd look for a new or little used Lazy Daze Class C. They are made in Montclair, CA (not to far from OP). They are only sold new from the manufacturer. There may be some good used ones around but I believe most owners keep them for a long time because of their quality. No- I don't work for them. But, I have admired them for many years. All are now built on Ford E-450 gas chassis with no slides in 24 to 30 foot lengths. Best wishes on your search and travels. Have fun!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #50

If going into a Class A and wanting comfortable driving, a tag axle is the best bet. Smallest tag is about 40'. Since you're by yourself, the two basement doors that a tag eliminates shouldn't be a storage issue for you.

It's all personal choice about how much or little room you can have before going nuts. I'd want 36' + if it were me. A real shower and bathroom, and a decent kitchen.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:31 AM   #51

I can't keep from a response. 70 is not so old. I am 75 and move around well but it does me i want more comfort which means larger. I stay in one place longer so amenities like satellite and washer/dryer, residential refrigerator are nice. So much depends on you and your lifesryle. I may be wrong but you sound like you have lost someone and are newly alone. Rving is not necessarily the best place to morn. That said, from your comments on money you don't seem to be very restricted. My guess is you will stay in campgrounds and not boondock. That is great. Rvers are friendly and in snowbird areas there are organized activities to keep you occupied. I suggest you will be happiest with a 35ft class A with a slide or two. 32 would also work but maybe no smaller. Then a toad. Small like Ford Focus or Honda Fit that work well.you don't want to be tied down once parked. I have no idea what experience you have driving but i am guessing gas would be easier but diesel has some advantages. You have a lot of thinking to do. Go look at rv's and checkout campgrounds. Then rent a class C for a week. Good luck.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:02 AM   #52

Freightliner Owners Club
A personal thought go with a Newmar Class A with comfort steer and steerable tag axle. Makes driving much easier.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
A personal thought go with a Newmar Class A with comfort steer and steerable tag axle. Makes driving much easier.
And we would not want anything nearly that big! I don't care what you want. My point is that there are many different people with many different wants and needs. The OP has to figure out what is best for him. All we can do is give the issues involved. To me it's big enough to have some closet and work space separate eating and sleeping with maybe a bit of workspace. After that it is more things to keep clean and more clearance issues. That gets me into the 30-35 ft range.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
A class C is somewhat easier to drive and maneuver.....
I see this sort of statement pretty regularly - and always feel that it's a very debatable comment. I currently own a 44' Diesel Pusher and have at least some experience driving with bumper pull trailers, Class C and Class A coaches (none with a 5'ver though). Personally, I believe the "easier" in this sort of statement needs to be replaced with "different" in order to be accurate. In my experience - each is different, each has unique strengths and weaknesses in terms of driving ease - however, I don't think a case can be made (beyond that of personal preference) - that one type of vehicle is "easier" to drive than another.