Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #15

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I had the same thing happen to me. Twice in Two Weeks just before a trip out west. I live in South Florida and kept the tires inflated to 80 pound. Both blow outs occurred when I tried to tow a toad and made a left turn. I found that the recommended 80 lbs of air is not sufficent to prevent excessive side to side movement. I also learned that not protecting my tires from the South Florida Sun ages them prematurely. I couldn't trust them any more so I replaced them all. I also learned that Goodyears are suseptible to this problem (Zipper) but I never pursued getting any help from them. The tires were 4 years old at the time of failure. I now keep my Brigestones at 95lbs and store the unit with tire covers. Sorry for your problems. I guess you could fight with Goodyear for some help with a new set but I did not want to put Goodyears on my MH again.
80 psi or 95? Which is based on actual tire loads +10%

"Zippers" are the result of run low flex failure of the steel body ply.

This data confirms you are correct about not covering tires with white covers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
This data confirms you are correct about not covering tires with white covers.
Tireman - I am skeptical of tire covers based on my experience with them. Decades ago I used them religiously on a trailer. Every time we used the trailer I'd remove the tire covers and inspect the sidewalls - they were always pristine and I felt great about the usefulness of the covers. Then one day I was under the trailer doing some maintenance and noticed the sidewalls on the INSIDE - they were not protected by the tire covers and the sidewall cracking was extensive!

Maybe it was because of the different rubber compound used in trailer tires, but the explanation I got from my tire dealer (Wheel Works) was that ozone in the air was a larger culprit than the UV from the sun. So, if there are tire covers that completely cover ALL exposed areas of the tire then they would be effective, but the covers that only cover what you can see while standing beside the rig don't really do much.

Am I all wet, or is there some truth to this?
Old 10-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #17

Typical Goodyear...had the same thing happen on a 2002 GMC that came with those....JUNK!
Old 10-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Typical Goodyear...had the same thing happen on a 2002 GMC that came with those....JUNK!
Sorry, a lot of us have run Goodyear's for years without an issue.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
And by the same "token" many of us run Michelins with no troubles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Yep, but when something like this happens..I'm done!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Old 10-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think Pandora's box is open on tires that is very similar to the ' I'll never have another Chevy or Ford or Dodge because that brand failed me. (Pick one) There are fleet companies that use nothing but GY or Michelin or whatever gives them the lowest cost per mile. Business associate I know purchased a large quantity of Case IH tractors and equipment. One tractor had serious problems three times in less than two months. The other 31 were just fine. If one person had received that one tractor he would have called it junk and bought green. Point is all things built by imperfect humans are imperfect.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Point is all things built by imperfect humans are imperfect.
Alan
Any company, even those totally automated, can produce a lemon on any given day.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Tires are a "crap shoot".
I ran the original set of 6 Goodyear G159 tires on my coach for 8 years, (and the 2nd set for 7 years), with NO cracks.... BTW they were never "covered".

However the sidewalls of my 3 year old Michelin XZEs look like this:

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #25

Mel, my Michelins looked like that after three years and were like that still when they timed out four years later. Guys that changed them said they were still ok. Good thing, no disposal fee as they were all going to be sold as used.

Thanks,

Alan

Old 10-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Any company, even those totally automated, can produce a lemon on any given day.
Yep but when it tears something up and the product is not stood by then you switch to Limes, BTW, if you have something like this happen and you replace it with the same........
Old 10-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #27

What the Heck Happened to my Tire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Yep but when it tears something up and the product is not stood by then you switch to Limes, BTW, if you have something like this happen and you replace it with the same........

With that logic we would run out of some products very soon. My philosophy is once bitten, twice shy. I only give up on things that continually fail me which is why I no longer own anything GM. I switched to limes. Lol!

Thanks,

Alan

Old 10-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
I think Pandora's box is open on tires that is very similar to the ' I'll never have another Chevy or Ford or Dodge because that brand failed me. (Pick one) There are fleet companies that use nothing but GY or Michelin or whatever gives them the lowest cost per mile. Business associate I know purchased a large quantity of Case IH tractors and equipment. One tractor had serious problems three times in less than two months. The other 31 were just fine. If one person had received that one tractor he would have called it junk and bought green. Point is all things built by imperfect humans are imperfect.

Thanks,

Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
..That makes it "OK"..No That's an Excuse!