Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
What the Heck Happened to my Tire?

While departing St. Louis after a week's stay earlier this year, my passenger side inner dually was low (52 psi), but wouldn't take air. The photo shows why. Five slits in the sidewall all along the same line around the tire (none of them puncturing all the way through).

As a point of reference, this sidewall was facing toward the inside of the RV, rather than facing the other tire. There was nothing on the axle or in the wheel well that could have caused this damage.

I had experienced no problems up to that point. As I normally do, I had been checking tire pressure every morning religiously during the trip and maintaining at 80 psi as required. Pressure was around 77-80 the morning of the day I had left to arrive at the RV park, but I didn't check pressure the week I was there. The RV was, after all, just sitting there and didn't move an inch.

I don't have tire pressure sensors, but I didn't get any sense -- no noise or handling issues -- during the week-long trip to St. Louis that there had been a blowout or any other sudden loss of pressure.

So what could have caused this? And is there anything I could have done to prevent it?

Also, do I have a claim -- at the time, I had Good Sam Roadside Assistance and Good Same ESP -- that would reimburse for the cost of the new tire? Or against Goodyear? (The tire itself is long gone by now, of course)

By the way ... Date stamp on the tire was 2113 -- late May 2013 -- making it 14 months old with 5,000 miles on it when this was discovered.

Would appreciate any insights into this incident. I'm still pretty new to RVing, but I've never seen anything like this on a car tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Six Tire Failures.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	76078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Six Tire Failures Close Up.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	76079  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2860.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	76083  

VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a similar issue but not as severe as yours. I attributed it to road construction. There were a couple times I had to drive thru a stretch of road where the asphalt had been cut out. The cuts were pretty much the same all the way around the sidewall. My cuts were on the outside dually tire.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Tilting my head to see...those are Goodyear Wrangler SRA's, is that right?

If so:
There have been a number of complaints regarding sidewall separation/"splitting" on the SRA's. Most don't have pics like you've provided, but some descriptions sound a lot like what I see here.

Here's a link to one page giving reports that look like they came from the NHTSA database.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Unfotunately, speaking from experience, if the tire is "long gone" you will have a tough time getting reimbursed by anyone. You need to call Goodyear from the shop and they will have the shop send them the tire for failure review. If you don't have the tire even with pictures, you will be fighting an uphill battle to get reimbursed. It is Goodyear's issue not Good Sam's.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #5

That is from driving a under inflated tire. Had it been a older tire the entire sidewall would of blown out. When a tire is under inflated it flexes the sidewalls The resultant heat and movement from flexing causes the sidewall to begin to break usually on a line that follows the flex point in the sidewall. Also called a zipper blowout. As you can see the damage is nearly centered between the tread cap and rim which is where it would flex the most driving under load with low air pressure.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just to add a bit more good news I will point out that you've also driven some unknown distance with that outer dually overloaded by near 100%, which means that that tire is probably toast as well. Sorry.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
What the Heck Happened to my Tire?

I grade tires for a living and have since 1978. We currently process 42,000 weekly. I see no signs of heat due to under inflation. I believe it is a defect. Go to a company owned Goodyear store. They should adjust them.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From the photo it appears there is a scuff mark on the air bag.. The lower air bag bracket could have sliced it if the tire were improperly inflated.

Do I believe this or think that is what happened... NO, but, Well, there is that scuff mark.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had complete set of GY on a fifth wheel that I asked the dealer about after having the second tire do this. He would not adjust them and said GY would not as well. Well, not wanting to keep going through this a called GY and talked to them. They asked where the fifth wheel was at this moment and I gave them the GY shop name and number. The dealer called me a short time later and he was PO'd! GY called him and told him that he was to pull all 5 tires of and replace with new. It took a couple days to get them all in and installed but I got all new tires. He said there was not a damned thing wrong with those tires and if he didn't have to return them all to GY he would sell them as used. In summary, I think if you no longer have. The tire you have nothing to send back or a claim to GY. You can try the pictures but you could have taken them of anyones tires at any time. Sorry.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 10-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Without the tire you will have very hard time getting replacement.

It never fails to surprise me why people think they have to present the tire for a warranty complaint. Maybe people need to ask themselves if Best Buy would give you a new TV if you told them the old one failed and you threw it away. How about expecting Sears to replace a failed refrigerator but not telling you you need to return the old one. Why do people think tires at multiple hundreds of dollars are not similar?

Part of my job was doing "tire autopsies" like THIS or This. Note the close up pictures. many times I needed a microscope to confirm or refute a claim of manufacturing defect. Sometimes I needed to do chemical analysis. None of these things can be done without having the tire available for the engineer to inspect.

Clearly your pictures are no where clear enough or close enough to provide the information needed to identify the cause of the sidewall crack/cuts?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Without the tire you will have very hard time getting replacement.

It never fails to surprise me why people think they have to present the tire for a warranty complaint. Maybe people need to ask themselves if Best Buy would give you a new TV if you told them the old one failed and you threw it away. How about expecting Sears to replace a failed refrigerator but not telling you you need to return the old one. Why do people think tires at multiple hundreds of dollars are not similar?

Part of my job was doing "tire autopsies" like THIS or This. Note the close up pictures. many times I needed a microscope to confirm or refute a claim of manufacturing defect. Sometimes I needed to do chemical analysis. None of these things can be done without having the tire available for the engineer to inspect.

Clearly your pictures are no where clear enough or close enough to provide the information needed to identify the cause of the sidewall crack/cuts?

Tireman, the correct statement would be ' Without the tire you will not be getting a replacement.'

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 10-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #12

[QUOTE=VAParrothead;2261440]While departing St. Louis after a week's stay earlier this year, my passenger side inner dually was low (52 psi), but wouldn't take air. The photo shows why.

[/OUOTE]

VAParrothead
WOW!
And I thought these sidewall cracks, (in 4 of my my 3 year old Michelin XZEs), where something to worry about:

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

I had the same thing happen to me. Twice in Two Weeks just before a trip out west. I live in South Florida and kept the tires inflated to 80 pound. Both blow outs occurred when I tried to tow a toad and made a left turn. I found that the recommended 80 lbs of air is not sufficent to prevent excessive side to side movement. I also learned that not protecting my tires from the South Florida Sun ages them prematurely. I couldn't trust them any more so I replaced them all. I also learned that Goodyears are suseptible to this problem (Zipper) but I never pursued getting any help from them. The tires were 4 years old at the time of failure. I now keep my Brigestones at 95lbs and store the unit with tire covers. Sorry for your problems. I guess you could fight with Goodyear for some help with a new set but I did not want to put Goodyears on my MH again.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

VAParrothead
WOW!
And I thought these sidewall cracks, (in 4 of my my 3 year old Michelin XZEs), where something to worry about:

Mel
'96 Safari
Nope, those are too small to worry about. Michelin says they have to be 2/32" deep or deeper

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote