Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What tire pressure should I use.

I just got my 2011 Fleetwood 32BH weighed and here are the results: Front - 5,860, Rear - 10,520, Combined - 16,340. I had a nearly full tank of gas, full tanks of water, 4/5 tank of propane, most of my gear loaded, and myself in the MH when I weighed it. I will often tow my 3,200 pound Toyota Scion Xb.

The tires are Continental 225/70R19.5G all season tires all around. Unfortunately, I can't find a scale to measure the corners.

Here is a link to Continental's tire inflation guide, but it does not match the federal tag on my vehicle: http://www.conti-online.com/generato...les_pdf_en.pdf

Here is a picture of the federal tag. My question is, given the discrepancy, what should I set my pressures at?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag.gif
Views:	143
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	8163  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by holstein13 View Post
I just got my 2011 Fleetwood 32BH weighed and here are the results: Front - 5,860, Rear - 10,520, Combined - 16,340. I had a nearly full tank of gas, full tanks of water, 4/5 tank of propane, most of my gear loaded, and myself in the MH when I weighed it. I will often tow my 3,200 pound Toyota Scion Xb.

The tires are Continental 225/70R19.5G all season tires all around. Unfortunately, I can't find a scale to measure the corners.

Here is a link to Continental's tire inflation guide, but it does not match the federal tag on my vehicle: http://www.conti-online.com/generato...les_pdf_en.pdf

Here is a picture of the federal tag. My question is, given the discrepancy, what should I set my pressures at?
First let me say . I looked all over and could not find an answer to your inflation table question. The label you posted from FW shows the max air you should carry in your tires. If you are under your axle weights, then you could inflate less and have a smoother ride. If no one else can help you here, I would suggest you call FW for some assistance 800-322-8216.

Good luck and let us know of all your travels.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #3

You should expect many responses on this but here's my opinion... It would appear that even using the GAWR numbers Fleetwood has leaned towards more air is safer. I would go with Fleetwoods numbers and check the ride. If it's too harsh try dropping it down by 5 psi and see if it is any better. But no more than the 5 psi. I too like a safety factor. You will want a cushion for when you have full holding tanks and a few extra people along for the ride.

And who knows you spouse may be a Lucy in waiting and load your storage areas up with a bunch of rocks! (as in the movie The long Long Trailer)
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #4

I weighed four corners by getting axel weights then going thru a second time with right tires on the shoulder.Subtract from total for that axel and you have weight four corners.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holstein13. I noticed you have a Storm and have joined the FW Owners club. You may want to join the Ford Super Duty Owners Club as well . Here is a link to it New Ford Owners Group

Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The Federal Tag is a Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by an earlier poster
...appear that even using the GAWR numbers Fleetwood has leaned towards more air is safer. I would go with Fleetwoods numbers and check the ride.
Gang, I'm new to all of this, but I wonder if we kill folks each year for confusing limits with recommended settings.

Hey, color me guilty: I fell for it too, before someone with an engineering background whispered in my ear. That's coming from an airline pro and licensed mechanic. I'm surprised the lawyers haven't jumped on this one, 'cause the placards are presented in such a way that reasonable, intelligent owners are confused by their meaning.

Think about it. Should we block our radiators until highway cruising results in water temps at the limit? Drain oil until the pressure drops to the limit?

Along the same line, inflating our tires to the maximum safe limit of the placard is probably not a good idea, and could be costing us coaches and lives. Tire manufacturers have model-specific inflation limits based on actual axle-end weight ranges. We need to spread the word, so people don't confuse generic govt limits with recommended values, and lose control of their vehicles due to diminished tire footprints.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #7

There is no discrepancy. The tag gives the inflation pressure for max load for the average tire. The Continental table gives the load limit for their tires at varying pressures.
Fleetwood did not design the tires, Continental did.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I am surprised that after all the tire inflation threads and discussion on here, that the older members are still confused...

You inflate your tires to what you actual weights are. Period.

The psi shown on the placard is for the max weight. In this case, 7,000 lbs front (or 3500 per side) and 12,000 lbs rear (6000 per side). If you look at those weights and the psi chart, you'll see that 95 psi front will give you 3600 lbs of capacity per side. This agrees with the placard. But it is also the max allowed. Duals are under rated, as shown on the psi chart, for several reasons, but take your rear weight, divide by 4 and look on the chart. In your case, @ the 100 psi shown on the placard, you would have 13,900 lbs of capacity. More than needed technically, but good practice. Again this is for max weight.

Now, given your actual weights, your at 5860 front or 2930 per side (assumed). Looking at the chart, the psi required to carry that weight would be 75 psi (single). Thats the minimum. Since you are more likely heavier on one side than the other, and to give a little margin, lets bump that up by 10 psi to give a capacity of 3300 per side, 6600 total.

On the rears, your actual weight is 10,520 or 5260 per side (assumed). Since its duals, divide by 2 again to get actual load per tire, 2630 lbs in your case. Looking at the chart, 70 psi would be enough, but again, since you are most likely heavier on one side more than the other, bump that by 10 psi again to 80 psi to give a capacity of 3000 lbs per tire, or 12000 total.

So, to answer your question: 85 psi front/80 psi rear.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Awesome Jim, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Now since we have some leeway on the pressures, let's take this a little further and explore if there is any advantage to running the same pressure all around or even a little less up front and a little more in the back. Might there be any advantages to the ride quality?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I am surprised that after all the tire inflation threads and discussion on here, that the older members are still confused...

You inflate your tires to what you actual weights are. Period.

The psi shown on the placard is for the max weight. In this case, 7,000 lbs front (or 3500 per side) and 12,000 lbs rear (6000 per side). If you look at those weights and the psi chart, you'll see that 95 psi front will give you 3600 lbs of capacity per side. This agrees with the placard. But it is also the max allowed. Duals are under rated, as shown on the psi chart, for several reasons, but take your rear weight, divide by 4 and look on the chart. In your case, @ the 100 psi shown on the placard, you would have 13,900 lbs of capacity. More than needed technically, but good practice. Again this is for max weight.

Now, given your actual weights, your at 5860 front or 2930 per side (assumed). Looking at the chart, the psi required to carry that weight would be 75 psi (single). Thats the minimum. Since you are more likely heavier on one side than the other, and to give a little margin, lets bump that up by 10 psi to give a capacity of 3300 per side, 6600 total.

On the rears, your actual weight is 10,520 or 5260 per side (assumed). Since its duals, divide by 2 again to get actual load per tire, 2630 lbs in your case. Looking at the chart, 70 psi would be enough, but again, since you are most likely heavier on one side more than the other, bump that by 10 psi again to 80 psi to give a capacity of 3000 lbs per tire, or 12000 total.

So, to answer your question: 85 psi front/80 psi rear.
I know this is no place for this, but if you're referring to me as one of the older members. All I can say is that I've always looked at inflation tables that showed a load per axle end as indicated here Michelin Americas Truck Tires XRV Page . The op's link showed a per tire load. Therefore you are correct sir.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
I know this is no place for this, but if you're referring to me as one of the older members. All I can say is that I've always looked at inflation tables that showed a load per axle end as indicated here Michelin Americas Truck Tires XRV Page . The op's link showed a per tire load. Therefore you are correct sir.
Same thing.. just divide by 2 instead of 4

And no.. I wasnt being specific towards anyone.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by holstein13 View Post
Awesome Jim, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Now since we have some leeway on the pressures, let's take this a little further and explore if there is any advantage to running the same pressure all around or even a little less up front and a little more in the back. Might there be any advantages to the ride quality?
I dont see any reason to do that, but you are in your rights to lower that 10psi over inflation down to zero or five. I wouldnt raise the psi more than 10, or go below zero extra though. To go higher not only increases the roughness, but also tends to lift the shoulders of the tire of the road, reducing the contact area of the tire. To use less than the minimum PSI increases the wear and heat in a tire leading to a blowout.

That said, the recommendation is usually 5-10 psi over inflation to leave you a little wiggle room AND, in cases such as yours where we dont know the actual corner weights. Never is an axle's weight spread evenly. Its always higher on one end than the other, sometime by hundreds of pounds. This is the reason I recommended you use the 10psi over.

Your ride quality should be improved already since you are reducing the psi by 10 and 20 front and rear respectively. Try it out for a trip or two and see.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=Midniteoyl;785481]Same thing.. just divide by 2 instead of 4

I had that part figured out after I saw your post, I just hadn't realized the difference in the Continental table vs the Michelin one when I first saw the OP. ( it was early in the am )

Old 02-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club

Have you really camped in all 49 states as shown? Anyway to get an RV to Hawaii?