Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #1

Question What to buy?

I'm a single woman looking to start RVing in a motorhome. I don't have any mechanical/electrical experience but I can probably learn to do simple stuff. I was wondering if there are any types of RVs or equipment that I should avoid because they require physical strength or lots of TLC? Is it any harder to drive a Class A than a Class C?

Thanks for any advice and recommendations on what's a good home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #2

They are all pretty easy to drive. I would prefer a class A because you are physically sitting further towards the side which in my opinion gives you a unobstructed view down the side of the motorhome. You also have a more elevated driving position which enhances your perspective on road conditions. We have owned an older class A for about three years now and my wife drives it more on the road than I do. It's like driving a car, a very, very large car.lol

Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #3

Driving it is not the real problem. Maintainace can be. Look at your budget to see what maintainace items you can afford to pay to have done and which you can learn to do yourself. Smaller Class C maintainace is less costly by far than a diesel pusher. However the diesel will probably be better quality.

I would definitely start with a small rig. A Class C drives more like a car/pickup. I would start with 28ft or so.

There are things that are hard just because you are single not because you are a women. Like backing into spots, looking out the side window to see of you are clear to pull into traffic because you are at an angel, etc.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
I have no idea how old you are or any limitations you may have either physically or financially.

IMO, it does not require any more physical strength to drive a Class A vs Class C, or a smaller rig vs a larger rig. It is only limited by what you feel comfortable in doing. If you are going to take it to have the primary service to be done, then it really don't matter.

There are many ladies that drive solo without issue. There are even groups you can join that may be a good source of help. You can join local chapters or national organizations. Many groups go camping as a group and help each other out. One example is the Good Sams Club. We have a local chapter in our town. They go camping one a month from Feb - Oct, and meet for dinner Nov - Jan once a month.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #5

bison204; Boy did you open up a fun topic. I am NO expert by any means, but I have seen woman that could drive as well, if not better then some men. Yes Class C MH's are a lot like driving a truck, but once you get used to driving a mid-upper level Class A, you will not want to go back to a Class C. We are on our fifth MH and our second Class A. Gas/diesel, this will depend on what you expect to do with the MH. Since we tow another vehicle or play toys with ours, I went with diesel. No matter what you choose there will be expenses for either of them. Yes diesel power vehicles will cost more, but in the long run it might be worth it. If you can do maintenance around you SB home, then you should be able to do a fair amount of the repairs on your MH. Get to know other MH owners and see if you can test drive their vehicles. It will give you and idea of what to expect.
Length of MH, in a Class C I would stay in the 29'-31' range and in a diesel 30'-35'. The Class A that we have now is a 38' DP with four slide outs. While it might be a little 'over kill' for your needs, it is nice to have the extra room.
Good luck on your 'search' and keep us posted on how you are doing.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #6

Thanks

Hi,
Thanks for all the good points you brought up. I would prefer the pushing power of a diesel but it's not in my budget, maybe the next one...

I'm in reasonable shape so I'm glad to hear driving and hooking things up is probably within my ability. That was a concern. I guess I'll look at both classes and see what's available. Hopefully I can find a good vehicle.

Drive safe
Old 05-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #7

bison204; Do not get in too big of a hurry to purchase your 1st MH. Our 1st one took almost 9 months of looking. The one we just traded up for also took about 9 months. Look hard and long, ask lots of questions and if you are going to finance look at all of your options. Do not get caught in the 'trap' of oh that looks great as it may not be what you want/need.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote