Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
What to use for new paneling?

I am doing a total new interior on my 1990 Georgie Boy. I am curious as to what is a good paneling choice, can I use "hardboard" based paneling, or is it better to use plywood paneling? I know there can be large changes in the temp in the rv, especially here in Texas. Hoping to hear your insight in the paneling,have found alot of it that is hardboard, harder to find plywood.

Pete in Texas

Pete Das
2012 Home Built 12' TT
I wasn't born in Texas, But I got here as soon as I could!
meworrynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Choose wisely...

Look at manufacturers data sheets and evaluate the gassing and chemical content.

Certian glues will gass out stinky nasty stuff, others not so much.

Contact the plywood association and ask for their advise as they could advise which manufacturers to start with.

Once you have found a source work directly with their representitives on line, give them the area that you live and travel to as well as the type of MH you have.

They will be able to determine which of their products are suitable for use inside.

They may also provide samples or at least be able to direct you toa local source of their product.

A lot of homework now will save a lot of frustration later!

TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #3

Several years ago I used "door skins" to replace some paneling in an old Vogue motorhome. The door skins were available at hardware stores and much less expensive than "nice paneling". They did need to be stained and varnished or painted. End result was pretty nice.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
I would use the "plywood"/luan paneling. We used hardboard in the current Class C. It does "wave" in high humidity times. At least it did in S GA during the rainy season. I dislike shutting up the RV just to run the AC.

Unfinished 4X8 sheets Beadboard is plywood. We have found it at Lowes & Home Depot. But not consistently. I like the looks of a nicely stained Birch plywood myself. You would need to use wood conditioner on it before staining otherwise it can turn out blotchy.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
The builders originally used lauan plywood. You should use the same. I replaced ceiling panels using plywood, covered with a coat of Kilz primer and a coat of semi-gloss bathroom paint applied with a textured roller. It's hard to tell the difference between the replacement and the original wood with a vinyl covering.
SSgt. Richard L Ray, USAF (Retired) - Laura L Ray
Our second home is a vintage 1995 Jayco Eagle 277RB 'The Love Shack"
towed by a 2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab short bed "The Green Goblin"

W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Beadboard does sound as though it may be a good option, I have found a site where the fellow highly recommends Baltic/Russian birch plywood; claims its almost dead flat, but dusty to cut.

I would be tempted to use one/both of the above and seal it with Kiltz as recommended then use a good paint. Perhaps the most important part would be to get the stuff to stick to whatever you are putting it over, I understand that construction adhesive works well over sound material.

rough road is offline   Reply With Quote