Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What type of wax to use?

We have a 1996 Minnie Winnie with fiberglass sides and back what kind of wax do I use? Can I use regular car wax. Its sort of dull looking and a wax job is needed.

Thank you in advance.

workinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
On a unit of that vintage I would start with a good cleaner/wax to help remove the oxidation.

lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
McGuires has a great three step marine/RV wax that will do a good job. Check their web site for more info.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Any type of wax as long as your rotator cuff and arm can take on the job, as time passes all the wax companys stay intouch with the lates in times for your finish.......... personal prefeshants rules out.........quite a job
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I gave up on trying to keep mine waxed. The gelcoat had been neglected for some time before I bought it, so it just kept soaking up wax whenever I applied it.

A couple months ago I stripped the wax off and applied Zep high traffic floor polish. It is an acrylic coating that when applied properly is very tough and shiny. So far so good, still looks like the day I applied it. According to others that have done the same thing, I shouldn't have to reapply it until next year.

You can do a search for Red Max Pro (discontinued and renamed Zep high traffic floor polish) if you want to know more about it. Here is the most recent thread.
Red Max Pro #3 Question
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all who responded. Now I have options.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If it is any help this is how we brought back the finish on our boat. The basic idea was the suggestion of a friend that owns a body shop.

First clean it well. We used Soft Scrub on the tough areas, just don't lean to hard.

Next use a polish, not a wax. We used Flitz and a random orbit buffer.

Last waxed it with Mothers carnuba wax. You are supposed to let it dry to a haze but we had way better luck spreading it around with the buffer before it was dry. That stuff is labor intensive to use so you might want to pick something not so tough to rub out.

After it was done some of the spray detailers wax keeps it looking good.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Google Poli glo. I used it on a 92 coachman. Alot of work but worth it
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roof n' glo

I have read several posts on the interwebs that nothing beats using a regular floor cleaner like Mr. Clean or Spic and Span. Then after it dries, they use Mop n' Glo with a lambs wool applicator. You never have to bend over.
HOWEVER... It appeared they were only doing it to their fiberglass/gel coat roofs. It might work on the sides as well YMMV. Don't think it will take off the oxidation though. That is usually a job for a wanna be martial arts star. Wax on, wax off.
Rob & Stella Stewart, USAF (Ret.) + Remi (the Chug)
BOTH 100% DVs & PROUD to have Served
04 Itasca Horizon 40AD 350hp DP w/05 Dakota 4x4 toad
cousinrawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Skip the wax and Poli Glow it. I second the emotion that its a bit labor intensive, however its great stuff, never yellows, and only needs to be touched up yearly. I did my coach with it last year, and other than washing it several times, it looks like it did when it rolled out of the factory in '97. You must remember that "floor wax" is just that... its formulated for floors and not RV's... thats why its not called "floor and rv wax". Resist the temptation to cheap out, and get the product thats made to be exposed to the elements.
1997 National Seabreeze 133 Limited
1993 Mazda Miata
2005 Basset Hound, "Fred"
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
workinwood....All of the suggestions above will work...it depends on how much energy you want to put into it. I had a gelcoated coach years ago and it got waxed at least 3-4 times a year, but one side that was in the sun when parked was always dry and difficult to apply wax. I found that if I used a can of Pledge and sprayed the area first (same area size that I was going to wax 3'x3') and then applied the wax, the Pledge helped the dry gelcoat go on easier.

I think the fllor wax fix is the best repair for older coaches, but some may not be willing to do that much work.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax with a UV protectant. It says you can put it on the entire vehicle, let it dry, then buff it off.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
I use polyglo too...have a 2000 fleetwood flair fiber sides...its not to difficult to work with...just time consuming because of the area...but once a year is all you need..it comes with a kit including a cleaner...which removed all the old wax, etc.I think the cost is about $75.00 and my motor home looks great for almost the whole year...and never touch it except to wash with a mild soap and water...I think there is an agent in Ft. Pierce, Fl.

kchadw1944 is offline   Reply With Quote