Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What type wood floor & why

Looking at options for redoing floor this fall in 95 Winnebago Adventurer - want to do wood. Engineered? Laminate? Vinyl faux? Why? We store under cover in Ohio winters. Keep it below 80 all summer on our pad when not travelling.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the Allure from Home Depot.. I have done most of a home with it and part of my MH. Goes down easy, easy to clean.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

Im thinking about going "engineered" for the bedroom (2 slides) because it think it will resist the best to marks from the slide rollers. The quantity required is so small that price is not really the main consideration.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Here's mine .... Bruce Oak Engineered Wood Flooring. Floating install over "neoprene like" insulating underlayment. No issues so far. Easy to clean.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tras...-150777-3.html
Old 06-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
I like the Allure from Home Depot.. I have done most of a home with it and part of my MH. Goes down easy, easy to clean.
X2 on Allure. I laid it in my previous TT. It held up wonderful. Cold winters and hot summers.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #6

I would suggest looking at "plastic" interlocking laminate flooring. I installed some throughout our last trailer and it was great. Totally waterproof and maybe only about 3/16" thick. The one we used is made from ABS and is available in many wood grains and colors. The thickness really helps because you may have cabinet doors almost touching the floor (like we did). Also helps if you install it in the bathroom because of the gasket under the toilet. You may need a thicker gasket which can be a hassle.

I don't think you'd want regular laminate in a bathroom due to water getting on the floor. With the ABS laminate being so thin, it will probably be better if you have slide-outs to deal with. I did not remove the original sheet flooring but I would recommend doing that to reduce weight and reduce the built up floor height. If you do remove the old flooring, there's no turning back! It is not glued down and is just stapled in place around the entire perimeter of an RV.

I bought our ABS flooring from a place in Vancouver BC called the King of Floors. That is the only place I could find it. Home Depot has a version of it but I read negative reviews on the internet. I would research what you buy carefully before you get it. I read aboutone ABS brand that occasionally comes apart at the seams. I think it was HD but not certain.

Another to consider is that you need an expansion joint around the perimeter of a laminate floor regardless of the type. I made some some strips of oak and stained them to match our cabinets. In areas like the bedroom, I used painted strips of wood.

I would post a pic of what I did, but I am at a cg and don't have access to my picture library. Personally, I would not use anything other than the ABS type because it is so suited to use in an RV for a few reasons. It's also easy to cut with a hand saw, table saw or chop saw.

One final thing I can say about laying laminate in an RV is that is time consuming. Lots of jigs and jogs and not much is in a straight line. I had to scribe a lot of pieces.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Here's mine .... Bruce Oak Engineered Wood Flooring. Floating install over "neoprene like" insulating underlayment. No issues so far. Easy to clean.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tras...-150777-3.html
Nice job! I do like your floor color. Our MH is just 30', no slides so I'm thinking keep it lighter as well or we could really feel small.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks myredracer for the details. Very helpful.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post

X2 on Allure. I laid it in my previous TT. It held up wonderful. Cold winters and hot summers.
I've been looking at the allure. Glad to hear it holds up in extremed. How many years did you get out of the floor?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBFlTmer View Post

I've been looking at the allure. Glad to hear it holds up in extremed. How many years did you get out of the floor?
After I laid the floor, I lived in it for 2 1/2 years. It was still in great shape when I sold it.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i installed my allure flooring about 5 years ago. we live in our moho fulltime with cats and it is still doing very well.
do a search, there is a post in the archives about my installation with pictures.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBFlTmer View Post
Nice job! I do like your floor color. Our MH is just 30', no slides so I'm thinking keep it lighter as well or we could really feel small.
Thanks! BTW, don't know if you paged all the way thru but I used ALLURE in the step area and the driver's footwell. I wanted a water resistant floor in those 2 areas. It's held on the vertical surfaces with polyurethane construction adhesive (Loctite PL).
Old 06-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post

Thanks! BTW, don't know if you paged all the way thru but I used ALLURE in the step area and the driver's footwell. I wanted a water resistant floor in those 2 areas. It's held on the vertical surfaces with polyurethane construction adhesive (Loctite PL).
I wondered about that. I hate trying to keep those stair carpets clean!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
paz

Lots of people seem to like Allure, but the following is a quote from the installation manual:
"The Allure adhesive must not get down to 15F (-10C) and must not reach higher than 95F (35C) for an extended period of time. Long term exposure to freezing cold or hot tropical temperature will damage the floor or cause the adhesive to fail."

Obviously, an RV in storage in the north in winter will get below 15º, and it will get above 95º inside if stored almost anywhere in summer. Anyone have problems with Allure?
paz is offline   Reply With Quote