Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #1

what will be the next big design must have?

OK - I've been researching 40' DP's for 3 months now with hopes of buying this summer. Here is the deal.. it seems like each add'l slide the builders offered over time made the few slide models less valuable ( marketing 101 right?). i have found some some sweet deals on 2 slides but feel they will be unmarketable ( ie must sale cheap ) a few years down the road. My question is what will be the next design that will make 4 slides look dated? maybe a slide-up second floor terrace? slide out outdoor kitchen? any ideas out there?
Drop In is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Let's see. Good ideas that didn't sell (well).

8' ceilings, roof top patios. mid engine diesels, front engine diesels, slide out patios, rear engine gassers, amphibious motorhomes, and many more.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #3

We have started to see floor plans where the kitchen/dining is towards the front, and the living area is in the middle. Personally we like that design better. It seems to allow for better tv viewing. conversation, and a more homey feel.
Rick&Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick&Cheryl View Post
We have started to see floor plans where the kitchen/dining is towards the front, and the living area is in the middle. Personally we like that design better. It seems to allow for better tv viewing. conversation, and a more homey feel.
my concern with these models is that most rattles come from the kitchen so aren't they just bringing those rattles closer to the driver to make him/her crazy with?
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
i have found some some sweet deals on 2 slides but feel they will be unmarketable ( ie must sale cheap ) a few years down the road.
If you got a "sweet deal" now on a 2 slide model, and you sell 'em "cheap" (sweet deal for someone else) later, so what??? I don't buy ANYTHING with the idea of what it will sell for ...like when I bought a 2wd SUV and others told me that would severely cut the resale value ...I did fine when I sold it. I buy what I want to meet my needs/desires at the time. I might want to sell it/trade it later, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
AFC > old hunting buddy of mine used to say, "all 4 wheel drive does is get you stuck further back inthe woods" I concur, having been there and done that.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Motorhome with a lot of view...
Have you seen city busses with a split cabin? Converting one of those to a Motorhome? There is a bi-articulated bus conversion for those who need that extra little bit of room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trolley Car.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	3461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bi-Articulated Bus.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	3462  

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
At first glance I thought the mid living area coaches looked cool, but when it comes down to it that big windshield is also a big picture window. Most homes have the big windows in the living areas, not in the kitchen.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #9

We also like the kitchen up front. I could never understand a 90 degree angle to watch tv.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Our Vectra 40TD has the front kitchen -- we've had both and prefer the front kitchen. Better weight distribution and the mid-coach 'family room' has a much warmer feeling -- 37" TV versus looking to the front of the coach.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #11

Two slide vs four slide: Buy the one that fits you best. We have a two slide and have more cabinet and drawers storage than ANY four slide. Also less motors,gears etc to worry about.
If I were to buy today, which I won't, it would be a two slide.
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Front kitchens sell right now. Only so many things you can do with a floorplan. I always thought the bedroom with the office in it would sell well, wrong, most have been dropped from the model line-up. Bunk layouts have not done well as DPs are typically not a family venture. The school is still out on full wall slides and resale. Four slides are nice and help sell.

The new technology engines for late 2010 and 2011 although a large up-charge, may not hold value as well as a 2009 or 2010 with older style engines. MPG will sell on resale. If fuel prices increase and stay there, smaller will sell better on resale.

Orphans are worth less than non-orphan MHs, buy a brand that you believe (still a risk) will still be in business 5 years from now.

Optioned MHs with house refer, aqua hot, all tile or wood floors sell better than without and all wood cabinets rather than veneer.

Extended Warranties really help resale if transferable.

If fuel prices increase and stay there, smaller will sell better on resale.

I do not expect any major design changes other than those that improve mileage, lower manufacturing costs and/or improve quality and reliability.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Let's see. Good ideas that didn't sell (well).
A couple years back, 2 ideas I saw at an RV show that were a flash in the pan were a coach with the bedroom right behind the cockpit (kitchen in middle & LR in back) & a 5-r with the kitchen in the upper level (LR in middle & BR in back).

As for the next design must have, I'll bet they're working on full wall slides for each side. They're almost there now, just give 'em time. Or, maybe a full glass retracting roof skylight down the center of the coach or a smaller retractable skylight for the bedroom. How cool would THAT be to see the stars above you while you're in bed at night? All the night-view benefits of sleeping under the stars in a sleeping bag without the bugs or night critters to worry you.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

As for the next design must have, I'll bet they're working on full wall slides for each side.
Rexhall already offers those and has for a couple of years. Three different double full wall models. They just aren't very widely known because they sell factory direct from CA. A very innovative manufacturer, though.

Rexhall Industries - Manufacturer of Class A Motorhomes - Floorplans page
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote