Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
kya

What would you do.

Hello, newbie here. heres the story. back on oct.8 me and the DW flew in to tampa to take delivery on a 2009 coachman pathfinder DP at lazydays RV. when we arrived coach was not ready so we stayed in hotel for nightat there cost. next day they say allset, do work trough front & rear AC do not work, bedroom tv junk & a few other repairs were not made. so they so we make it right, they replace both ac units plus tv, plus bad invertier we found. ok drive home on friday back to RI. no problems. following weekend showing rig to relative and start bringing in kitchen slide & loud noise , slide stops jammed. removed to kick under cabinets & find a broken roller with a bolt wedged under it wich when it jammed pulled counter away from wall . upon further investigation roller was ADDED by previous owner(not factory) could tell by fact that they used bolts 2" to long & shimmed top with stacks of washers & nuts. (HACK). I repaired roller correctly but it looks like reason it was added is because kitchen counters have dropped forward towards floor. also after that found leak in sink drain , both heaters do not work. & then last not found roof leak over driver seat. lazy days does not return my calls. heater is covered under aftermarket warranty I bought, but everything else I am on the hook for. i also requested a list of repairs they did when they took it on tfade & it was 3 pages long(lemon) it also stated that they resealed roof in front. do any of you think I have any legal recourse.. I am very uposet about all of this. spent a lotof $$ for this. thank you for your replies. AJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #2

Did you get a 'warranty' on coach IN WRITING or was it an 'as is' sale?

Warranty....then you will have to return it to LAZYDAYs for repairs as it is 'their' warranty not an OEM
OF it covered under an extended service contract.....then you would have to take it to an 'authorized' facility under the extended service contract requirements

Legal recourse.........
IF you have IT in WRITING/SIGNED documents
He said/they said won't cut it (Text/e-mails might)

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #3

It sounds like it is time to have a chat with an attorney. The fact that you are up north and Lazy Days is down south may have some relationship to their lack of response

Also report them to the better business bureau.
Let every RVer know that they do not respect their customers.
Use all of the many RV sites on the Internet to get the words out.

RV Travel.com has posted a dialog about poor quality and lack of dealership integrity.....add your comments to their website.
You are not alone. Reading the comments of others may offer some avenues of approach to your problem...many lawyers are shopping for clients who are dissatisfied with RV dealers and manufacturers.

Next time you shop for used I suggest buying from an owner who took care of his RV.

Good luck !
Old 10-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
kya

bought extended warranty, but roof & cabinets not covered. I have only had this 3 weeks & I only drove it from tampa to RI, all this is happening just while it is sitting in my yard. as I said lazydays will not even return my calls, but they shore could'nt do enough to get us in it so to speak.judging from the repair list i got off them after I got it home , They knew it had ALOT of problems. they repaired tons of stuff. If I could have seen this before I would not have bought it.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:42 PM   #5

What.who is 'extended warranty' (really just a service contract) with?

Caveat emptor!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
1. Read the sales contract you signed. Almost all rv sales contracts sign away your right to sue the dealer for anything that goes wrong.

2. It's alright to be irritated. I would be too.

3. Everything described are typical things that go wrong with rv's. Stinks that you have to deal with more than 1 at a time.

4. We could probably provide some more help if we start to dig into issues. For instance, can you define the heaterproblem. Does the fan turn on but there's no heat? Or does the fan not even start? Could be a simple issue such as no gas on board or the igniter.

5. Roof sealing is a yearly thing that a lot of owners neglect. So it won't hurt to have the entire roof checked by a local shop and seal everything that might need it. This is a relatively inexpensive task.

6. I've known more than a few people who bought from lazy days, and each has reported a list of items checked or repaired in the 5 to 10 page range. I think this is normal. Unsure if it's a tactic or not, but it's common from lazy days on each sale I would guess.

7. Rv's to me fit the "fix and repair daily" category, and hopefully you recieved a good deal going into it. Once you get these few little times worked out, you'll get years of good enjoyment out of it I'm sure.

Previously you mention that they knew it had a lot of problems. I'm in the camp that most rv's have many flaws and issues by nature. I'd encourage you to do your best to try to get past the initial buyers remorse (that most of us go through) and just tackle the few issues with a good, positive attitude and get to using that baby.

I would also encourage you to check the date stamp on the tires. No matter how good they look, at 7 years, you need to replace them. Being an 08, if the tires are original, they could have a date of 07, and certainly are due for replacement.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With three pages of repairs, sounds like they found a few things which is a good thing. Easy enough to caulk the roof. A leaky drain should be pretty straight forward. As someone stated before, the furnaces in these things are pretty simple. Take a deep breath, with the help of folks here, you can figure out the furnace issue and in a couple hours you will be good to go. These are really minor issues and repairing them will familiarize you with your new coach. To get all worked up and waste a bunch of time and energy will get you nowhere. SMILE!! your going camping!
Old 10-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #8
kya

Thank You everyone for the encourage ment. lazydays called me last night . they said to get some estimates & they would see what they can do about compensation for repairs. like I told the person on the phone All I wanted was a return call to be able to work this out. We will see how it goes. & yes 1 heater completely dead, found circut board no longer mounted, & other one blows cold air, LP tank is full & on. I am most worried about the kitchen slide cabinet problem.. again THANKS TO ALL.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hopefully you can find a nearby quality rv house repair place. I can't quite picture in my head what's going on with the cabinets, but rv shops have some crafty ways of shoring things up. The wall around the cabinets isn't mushy is it? That could be a major problem if it were. Mushy walls come from water leaks, and can be repaired but it could explain cabinets pulling away. Push your fingers on the wall all around that outside wall of the slide out. Should be solid feeling. I'd ask here for recommendations to nearby shops.

I figured lazy days would eventually help. Everyone seems to have a pretty decent opinion of them as a major retailer of used rv's.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
"What would I do?" well I'd be very thankful for any fixes that lazy days does for you.

Used vehicles are sold as-is and it's an 8 year old vehicle. Unless you have a specifically written warranty that details out what is warranted and what isn't, unfortunately fixes are going to be on you like it or not. If lazy days agrees to fix anything, I'd be extremely grateful. If you had the coach independently inspected prior to sale and these issues were brought to attention, they become part of your negotiating position for purchase price.....or you can walk away from the deal if the purchase is too risky for you (or overpriced given it's condition).

Hope you can get these resolved reasonably.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #11

I have been re-thinking your situation and the one thing that confuses me is why did you drive all the way from Rhode Island to Florida to buy a RV ???
There are countless RV dealers in the states around you...one in NY even offers a lifetime warranty on the units they sell...New Hampshire has no sales tax.
So I ask again why the long journey to Florida to buy something available in your back yard ?
Old 10-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suspect the selection of RVs was much better at Lazydays and other large FL dealers. Ditto for south Texas and Arisozona. IMO, New England is not the greatest place to shop for a motorhome, new or used. Your choices are much greater if you are willing to travel.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #13

I noted the word "suspect" in the remark by "Gary RVRomer" clearly indicating he may not have visited the LZy Days operation.
Bigger is not always better. Visit enough RV dealers and you will quickly learn their used RVs reflect only what was traded in at their dealership unless the attend wholesale auctions and then there is no way to predict what variety of used "junk" the picked up. Dealers of RVs and automobiles always send the junk off to the auctions and hold the good stuff for their own lot. There are however some mega-dealerships who might try to pass off even poorly maintained lemons on their own lots....after reading the list of problems this unit has I might be inclined to think this newbee has bought some lemonade.

Read the website RVTravel.com for further insight into the quality problems in the RV industry....some real eye opening material there every week in their Saturday edition....subscription is free and a must for RVers both new and veterans.

Happy Camping !
Old 10-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #14

Sorry you are going thru these problems.

As others have said, read the sales contract - as that is what you can insist on. And frankly, if LD does more for good will, that is bonus to you.

Focus on getting things covered that they are contractually required to cover, and thank them the extra they may do...

Now, to help others that might read this thread. (And too late for you, and for sure not to kick you when you're having these problems.)

-If a buyer is not a very experienced RV'er, and has lots of knowledge about chassis and house systems. Always get an independent inspection by a certified tech. This usually requires one to inspect the house systems, and then visit to an appropriate place to have the specific chassis and engine/trans related systems inspected. Do expect to spend some money out of your own pocket on this, and it is money well spent. (And a note, as on another thread not too long ago this happened. Do not let the place selling you perform this inspection! On that thread, they actually paid for a thorough inspection, got nothing in writing for it, only a verbal that all systems and chassis were sound and functioning as they should.)

-It's OK for a used RV to have house and or chassis eng/trans related problems. Know the health of the house and chassis batteries, the age of the tires, the conditions of all major house systems and components, etc. Any of those that are not working or as young as they should (Say aging house batteries, or 6 year old tires, etc.), determine the costs to bring these up to snuff, and lower your purchase offer price accordingly. If this is at a dealer, and they offer to take care of these. Put it into the written contract. And specify the details. Two house batteries will be replaced with XXXXXX (Name the battery you want here.). Tires will be replaced with XXXXX not to exceed 6 months of age., etc.)

-If it ain't in the contract, it usually ain't going to be taken care of...

OP - You probably are stuck with what you have. Perhaps if you're that concerned about it, you could make a deal with LD to come back and get full sales price trade in (Probably minus registration and sales tax.) credit towards a different rig. Might work out for you. I know one gent in Southern California that worked out such a deal with a dealer. Cost him about $4.5K - but he figured he was money ahead, as he had purchased a coach that would have taken him months of out of service, and a good $15-17.5K to take care of the major stuff. (Yep, he did not know enough to see the problems in the RV he was buying. And did not want to spend the $250-500 for a few independent inspections of the rig...)

Go slow, take care of the major items first - then get out and start having some fun, and slowly work thru the minor things.

Best to you,
Smitty