Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #1

I bought a new 2002 Gulfstream 8378MXG, triple slide in 11/02.

From day one, I have had trouble with the leveling system by DeWald(since bought out by Power gear).

They will not level the coach in the slightest of incline. They are tied into the same reservour as 2 of my three slides(wardrobe is electric)

It was noted when MH was still under 1 yr. warranty. I have gotten the "run around "for the past yr.From dealer to Gulfstream. Lady from Gulfstream was very nice, sympathetic, etc.

Took it back to dealer, they agreed system was flawed, talked to power gear, they suggest bigger cyls. from deisel chassis will solve problem. I could go on and on about how they operate, but they are junk!!

Now Gulfstream won't return my calls (they did starting last August) but now I have been relegated to the dung heap!

Dealer no longer carries Gulfstream, claims they took too long to resolve issues. (Duh!)

Their idea of a quick response was 3/4 weeks.

The gloves are off! I am ready to "go to the mat" with this company.

It boils down to the fact that they put totally inadequit levelers on coach. I'm getting ready to spend whatever it takes to get this fixed. Lawyers aren't cheap, but they can be effective.

Any input ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #2

I bought a new 2002 Gulfstream 8378MXG, triple slide in 11/02.

From day one, I have had trouble with the leveling system by DeWald(since bought out by Power gear).

They will not level the coach in the slightest of incline. They are tied into the same reservour as 2 of my three slides(wardrobe is electric)

It was noted when MH was still under 1 yr. warranty. I have gotten the "run around "for the past yr.From dealer to Gulfstream. Lady from Gulfstream was very nice, sympathetic, etc.

Took it back to dealer, they agreed system was flawed, talked to power gear, they suggest bigger cyls. from deisel chassis will solve problem. I could go on and on about how they operate, but they are junk!!

Now Gulfstream won't return my calls (they did starting last August) but now I have been relegated to the dung heap!

Dealer no longer carries Gulfstream, claims they took too long to resolve issues. (Duh!)

Their idea of a quick response was 3/4 weeks.

The gloves are off! I am ready to "go to the mat" with this company.

It boils down to the fact that they put totally inadequit levelers on coach. I'm getting ready to spend whatever it takes to get this fixed. Lawyers aren't cheap, but they can be effective.

Any input ?

Old 02-02-2005, 01:17 PM   #3

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Check the lemon law in your state. They sold you a coach with levelers. The levelers don't work either due to a design or manufacturing defect.
It is a lemon.
Go for it....
Walt
Old 02-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #4

"Check the lemon law in your state."

You can check, but I think the Lemon Law only deals with safety issues. And they must have the coach in the shop for a 30 day period without being able to fix the problem. This is the best I can recollect.

I think the lawyer is the best trick.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #5

I would have not have waited this long if the Power Gear Leveling system didn't work as designed.

We are on our second Gulf Stream coach, the first was an '03 and now our '04. Both of them have Power Gear systems. The first worked perfect from day one. The system on our '04 was giving off alarms that "Jacks Down" when they were not and would not level the coach correctly, it is a completely "auto leveling" system.

It took the dealer three times and my persistance that it was not correct until they finally found a loose wiring connection that was causing the problem.

I have never had Gulf Stream not answer/return any call. Any issue that we had has been handling with fast prompt attention from Gulf Stream. As a matter of fact, in October when we took it back to dealer for warranty work, Gulf Stream stayed in contact with them to make sure everything was being done. I also was contacted to make sure sure everything was being done to our satisfaction.

If I was you, and maybe you already have, contact Gulf Stream Service and have them suggest another dealer to look at your problem. They should have a record to show that this problem existed during the warranty period, IF your dealer turned it into them.

If you haven't already, I would also go to the Gulfstreamers International RV Club forum and put a post there about your problem.

Since we only live 250 miles from the factory, I would make an appointment for Factory Service to repair it. On our '03 coach, we took it to them for any problem. It was great service.

That is what I would do, if all this failed then I would contact my lawyer as long as I had all the documentation that will be required for legal action. BUT in my past experience with Gulf Stream I am sure that legal action would not be required.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #6

GS40:

My levelers are not made by Power Gear, they are a DeWald product. Power Gear bought the DeWald Co. a little more than a yr. ago.

I think DeWald was more into slide systems, then added levelers towards the end. My dealer said Power Gear is one of the best systems out
there.

I have had some little issues with Gulfstream, and as you say, they were very helpful and returned my calls each time, EXCEPT for this problem. We love the MH, this is the only real issue with it, and I should not have waited this long to resolve it, but short of legal action, the ball has been in their court and all parties just keep leading me on. They have not said they will not fix them, or that they will fix them. But now, they no longer return my calls.

I live 2500 mis. from the factory, a bit farther than you, so is not practical to go there, nor have they asked me to.

As far as another GS dealer? You know the story there, "you didn't buy it here". Why would they waste their time with a non-customer?

I'm beggining to think it would be cheaper to have a whole new Big Foot sys. installed than a lawyer? I had Big Foot's on my 99, they were great!

Mike T.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #7

Mike,
You just reminded me, the leveling system on our '03 was Dewald, not Power Gear. But Power Gear still uses the same Dewald power pack/tank/combination on some of their systems since they purchased Dewald.

I would think that if Gulf Stream would contact a recommended dealer in your behalf, that they would/should take care of it. Of course at some point you will in all probability be purchasing another coach, hopefully the interested parties will remember this.

I would keep "knocking" on Gulf Stream's doors, every one of them I could until I got the answer and my system repaired. Many times the reason one doesn't get an answer/resolution is that one has not "knocked" on the right door.

Try these:
Email to: service@gulfstreamcoach.com

Also try: spullin@gulfstreamcoach.com

Also: literature@gulfstreamcoach.com

Compose an email with the complete description of your problem(s) from the first time during warranty period up to now. Include your Gulf Stream serial number (begins with 51, 53, 57, 58, 59, 60 or 65)

Ask that if they are not the correct person to sent your email to, ask that they forward it to the correct person such as the President, VP, Plant Manager, and service dept.

Put your complete name and phone number on it so that they can contact you.

Ron

Old 02-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Your warranty is good at any Gulfstream dealer. That doesn't mean every GS dealer will drop everything in his shop and jump right on your problem, but he gets paid to work on your coach just like he does on one he sold himself. Makes no difference who sold it.

If GS stopped returning your calls, something happened. Maybe your problem fell through the cracks becasue the dealer you were trying to work with dropped them. Your best bet is to re-open the communications somehow, preferably without a lawyer. They definitely won't talk once the lawyers take over! Can you escalate your problem to someone in GS who has enough authority to look into the matter and who isn't already poisoned by what has happened? There is usually a VP or Director of Service and the head marketing guy might also be able to re-open the issue. If you can't get one of them to the phone, try a polite letter to the CEO or President, telling him about the lengthy delay and asking him to help resolve the problem. Since nobody has [yet] said No, you can act as though the answer is Yes and you merely want to get it over and done with.

I would not call in a lawyer until somebody in authority says NO or tells you to stop bothering them. I know you're frustrated, but it is still true that "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:40 AM   #9

Thanks, folks! You have given me some ideas to follow up on.

As far as my dealer is concerned, I truly beleive the service mgr. is trying to resolve issue with GS, but they have stopped talking to him also.

The advice to keep attorney out of the mix is sound, that would shut them up for sure. I don't want to get involved in a costly long distance lawsuit.

Mike T.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 AM   #10

Mike,

Here are a couple of people that you might want to talk to at Gulf Stream:

Scott Esenwein 1-800-289-8787 ext. 3350

Bob Berardinellie, Dir. of Service 1-800-289-8787

I don't know Bob's ext. so you will have to ask the operator.

Keep knocking on their doors, softly, but keep knocking until you get the right person.

Help this helps, Ron