Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What's it worth without an engine?

Just wondering? When do you throw in the towel and say I want to trade it in on another motor home?

Scenario: You have a motor home worth about say $30K. The engine blows and it cost $13-18k to replace plus a few weeks of downtime. I have seen that much variance on replacing an 8.1 workhorse as an example.

What can you hope to get on a trade in for another motor home? Is your motor home with the broken engine trash? Or, is it worth $30K minus $15k approximately?

At some point I am sure that you would just sign the title, lay it on the dash and leave the old motor home on the side of the road , or have it towed to some area that you could have it as a park model.

But when would you do that?

JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I would pay 15K for a clean 2005 Sightseer with a blown engine.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i'M SURE THERE IS A MARKET FOR rv'S WITH BLOWN ENGINES---WOULD NOT APPEAL TO ME----BUT THERE ARE MANY WHO FEEL EMPOWERED BY FINDING SUCH A DEAL-----

WHAT TO PAY OR OFFER?-----ENGINE COST MINUS VALUE WITH ENGINE IS PROBABLY THE BEST THAT CAN BE DONE
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
I would pay 15K for a clean 2005 Sightseer with a blown engine.
Hopefully I will never be in the situation mentioned. I was just wondering.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i would definitely be interested in one at the right price. i could do the work myself, would love to try one of those 502 crate engines with an efi set up on it! but i dont think its too cost effective if you have to hire it out.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm one of those that would liked to have found one like that when I was looking.
If you really like it then do this:
option 1
Find yourself a GOOD mechanic, and convert that thing to a 5.9 cummins.
And if you want it to be REALLY reliable get one fomr a 94-97 Dodge or a 94-97 Larger Ford truck. those will not have a computer. that make a swap much easier.
I paid $2500 for my F-700 (5.9 cummins engine)that has only 107k on the truck. and it runs like a dream. (107K miles is nothing on one of those engines.)
option 2
Call Crower performance in cali and ask about crate BBC engine with a very strong steel crank, rods an pistons.
This company make cranks and rods for a living.
I'd bet both options can be dones for the same money or less as another 8.1L anchor and they will out live a 8.1L far into the future.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I'm one of those that would liked to have found one like that when I was looking.
If you really like it then do this:
option 1
Find yourself a GOOD mechanic, and convert that thing to a 5.9 cummins.
And if you want it to be REALLY reliable get one fomr a 94-97 Dodge or a 94-97 Larger Ford truck. those will not have a computer. that make a swap much easier.
I paid $2500 for my F-700 (5.9 cummins engine)that has only 107k on the truck. and it runs like a dream. (107K miles is nothing on one of those engines.)
option 2
Call Crower performance in cali and ask about crate BBC engine with a very strong steel crank, rods an pistons.
This company make cranks and rods for a living.
I'd bet both options can be dones for the same money or less as another 8.1L anchor and they will out live a 8.1L far into the future.

Interesting reply!

Would a convert to diesel require a complete transmission change also?

GMC & Chevy Performance Crate Engines
Old 06-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you live in a State that requires Emission tests (Smog Checks) Then you will have a very hard time doing an engine conversion swap and being able to pass the test. I know in California it is almost impossible now to do this type of thing. They have started doing Diesel Engine Emission checks as of last year.

The problem is not that the new conversion engine will not pass the smog check, it i that it will not match what the book said should be in that vehicle and it would have to meet those specs.

I have a friend who has a Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 engine. He tows a toyhauler trailer and really needed more power. He did not and could not afford to buy a new truck and found a Chevy Silverado with the 6.0 engine in salvage yard with less miles then his current engine. To drop a 6.0 in his truck is as simple as replacing his current 5.3. He had to change out the ECU, but that two was just as easy.

Now here is the issue. When it came to smogging the vehicle the engine did not match on the VIN tag and he would not pass smog because of it. He has been dealing with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and was finally able to get paper work showing that he can go to a Smog Referee station where the are much more strict. But if he passes all the tests he can apply for the change and he will have to go to the Test Only Referee Station from now on.

He said this has been way more of a headache then he though it would have been and in hind sight he would have not do this again. Also the bummer part is he will have a very hard time selling the truck as no one will want this problem.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't pay book minus the cost of the engine replacement - too much hassle & time involved to settle for a break even deal like that. I would expect my total outlay to be at least $3000 under current market value and preferably more like $5k under. My time & effort, and the risk I am taking in rehabbing the coach, has to be worth something. Even if I keep it for myself rather than re-selling.

Now buying a blown rig and doing the engine replacement yourself may be attractive to some. You get paid for your installation labor as well as for being the broker and general contractor, so there is more in the deal for you. I'm not that inclined myself, but there are some who would happily do so.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
8.1L V8 Marine Engine, New GM 8.1 V8 Marine Motor | eBay

2001 CHEVY 8.1 LITER 496 CUBIC INCH ENGINE | eBay

01 02 CHEVY 3500 PICKUP ENGINE 8.1L | eBay

NEW REMAN CHEVROLET 8.1 LITER 496 ENGINE 2001 | eBay
Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
For $15 - $18 k, you could buy a full race 632 cubic inch blown big block with about 1500 HP!!
Where did you get those numbers"?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
For $15 - $18 k, you could buy a full race 632 cubic inch blown big block with about 1500 HP!!
Where did you get those numbers"?
From this website. Help 8.1 Engine Failure That was an installed price I think. Not sure how much of that was labor -vs- engine cost.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was priced $10,500.00 - $11,000 to replace the V10 ford engine plus what ever the body shop charge to cut out the front cap and fiberglass it back in and do the paint work. That was for a Jasper Engine and not counting the tow bill. This was on my old MH 2004 Damon Intruder.

Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote